K&A holiday from 6th Sept for a week

Mendip-Locks

Featured Posts

As a 50th Birthday present my wife is treating me to a week on the cut.

I fancy the K&A western end as we visit often but never on a boat and also our grown up children could visit.

All is well and I've found two companies Foxhangers and Anglowelsh at Bath that have availability. But at cost? 7 nights on fennec fox £1165.00 including waivers then not heard back from AW to confim but it looks like £855 + £90 fuel + £50 none refundable damage waiver.

So my question is does anyone have any inside info on any off the radar companies or tips for discounts etc.

It looks like the K&A is premium priced as I looked at Starline at upton on severn where we hired last time we ventured on the cut in 1987 and they go at £700.00 + fuel.

cheers for looking

Ade

Edited by Mendip-Locks

Try Sally Boats at Bradford on Avon

Hi Sir Nibble thanks for that tried them no availability on those dates.

Let me find the details, there are also some small, independent hire companies in Bathampton, with smaller, individual boats, which don't look like hire boats.

What size boat are you thinking of?

Thanks Luctor if it is Kennet & Avon canal boats they have just 3 boats very nice but more expensive than Foxhangers as its £1000.00 for 6 nights. We are looking for a 4 berth so the children can stay a night or two.

Have been told by a Foxhangers employee that they often get late business I.e. They reduce the price and get last minute bookings.

Thanks Hilary, yes they told me this themselves, but it does mean risking availability for a last minute booking which I'm not keen on.

I should also add I have tried Oxfordshire Narrowboats B-O-A no availability, Also AW and Black Prince B-O-A more expensive than Foxhangers. Hilperton Marina via ABC bookings more expensive than Foxhangers.

Could someone confirm that all these Black Prince and Anglowelsh bases are not indeed separate companies but run by a local yard with their (the nationals) boats or are they truly separate and nothing to do with the yard they are in?

Edited by Mendip-Locks

Hi there,

As far as I am aware Black Prince is one company with several bases. All bookings go through the Stoke Prior office when you email/book on line or phone. BP are a good company to hire from - they give good discounts on the second consecutive week of hire, and a £50 voucher towards your next hire. We've hired from them probably about 14 times over the last several years and always had excellent service whichever base we've hired from.

Cheers, Marilyn

• Greenie 1

Cheers Marilyn good to get some recommendations Black Prince I think only had 6 berths so were around the £1600.00 mark.

I just can't get my head around over a grand for a weeks hire! Bath-Narrowboats http://www.bath-narrowboats.co.uk/anglowelsh-narrowboat-holidays have the most competitive price but I have only seen that through the national website and sent them a query to confirm actual final cost after all the extras you have to pay on Thursday heard nothing yet! I might try contacting Bath-Narrowboats direct as it appears they run the boats for AW.

There is also White Horse Boats at Devizes Wharf. You might think this is the wrong side of Caen Hill but in fact this flight is well maintained and relatively easy to work through. Also highly satisfying. Get your family to visit and lend a hand.

Alternatively go East - much quieter and very scenic.

Their prices seem a bit less than the figures quoted. Maybe that reflects the location as much as the boats?

There is also White Horse Boats at Devizes Wharf. You might think this is the wrong side of Caen Hill but in fact this flight is well maintained and relatively easy to work through. Also highly satisfying. Get your family to visit and lend a hand.

Alternatively go East - much quieter and very scenic.

Their prices seem a bit less than the figures quoted. Maybe that reflects the location as much as the boats?

Hi Warwickshireman I did have a look on their website something there were a few things that bothered me 1 they want to keep your car keys while your away and 2 there was a fair bit of none returnable waivers if I remember rightly.

Probably a silly suggestion but if your comfortable with it aren't there 'swop' websites about. What I mean is you borrow someones boat for a week and they live in your house. Not for everyone I know but just throwing it out there

Hi Rob thanks but not for me!

You could try The Boatyard if you haven't already, they are next door to Hilperton Marina. They are only 2 berth but 38 f/t boats and very reasonable prices, if you have visitors that need to stay over on the boat though It won't be much use, at these prices though they could hire their own and you could pair up smile.png

http://www.ukboatyard.com/index.php/day-boat-hire/short-break-hire

Edited by Julynian
  • Greenie 1

You could try The Boatyard if you haven't already, they are next door to Hilperton Marina. They are only 2 berth but 38 f/t boats and very reasonable prices, if you have visitors that need to stay over on the boat though It won't be much use, at these prices though they could hire their own and you could pair up :)

http://www.ukboatyard.com/index.php/day-boat-hire/short-break-hire

Thanks Julynian that's put the cat among the pigeons! Good prices and smart boats by the look of it.

I have hired many times and find it best to leave it late then hire through' latelink' and have never paid a k and have had 50 to 70 ft usually range from 4 to 8 hundred depending on time of year.

I have hired many times and find it best to leave it late then hire through' latelink' and have never paid a k and have had 50 to 70 ft usually range from 4 to 8 hundred depending on time of year.

Ignorance here what is latelink

Thanks Julynian that's put the cat among the pigeons! Good prices and smart boats by the look of it.

The boatyard are a superb outfit, and reasonable prices all around. I've been dealing with them for a year now. The hire boats are very very clean internally and externally, we were there yesterday coincidently topping up and noticed how nice the hire boats looked.

If you can get there for a visit you'll see what I mean. They also run a coal boat and offer the cheapest diesel on the W K&A as far as I know. They're very professional and know what their doing, I can highly recommend them.

Thanks Tim didn't know about that.

Glad I put a thread up now learning so much thanks guys.

The boatyard are a superb outfit, and reasonable prices all around. I've been dealing with them for a year now. The hire boats are very very clean internally and externally, we were there yesterday coincidently topping up and noticed how nice the hire boats looked.

If you can get there for a visit you'll see what I mean. They also run a coal boat and offer the cheapest diesel on the W K&A as far as I know. They're very professional and know what their doing, I can highly recommend them.

Thanks again you can't get a better recommendation than that smile.png I'll ring them tomorrow and see if they mind a camper on board! well they do take travel cots as long as you bring your own, so a blow up mattress for our little girl (19) wink.png is in the same territory.

• 4 months later...

Well to update the thread thanks to Timx I used Latelink and waited as long as I dare. I got a BP 4 berth for £749 down from over a grand.

A Foxhangers would of out done it if I'd been brave a 6 berth £649.00 from well over a grand went down to that this week.

Give us a wave and say hello if you see us next week.

Heading East not doing Caen hill so winding and heading for maybe Saltford before heading back to B-O-A.

Thanks for all the feedback folks

You might pass us then. Moored just before Bradford on Avon at present. Quite crowded with moored boats from Semington onwards. If you find a space take it. You can always want!k on to see if there is anywhere better.

Hi Pearley,

Went that way 1st as far as the Barge Inn, 1st night Semmington called in at the Somerset Arms fab meals all round and Thatchers Gold on tap so 100% from us.

Then up one lock to turn and back down the Seend flight to walk back to the Barge for Sunday Lunch again great all round but a 13.45 seating lead to lamb being down to 2 covers also slow to take our order till I told them this!

Sunday evening back in B-O-A moored in front the bridge after the marina until we worked out you were not supposed to a house holder pointed out the sign had been ripped down. So we moved into the cutting which was ok then west to the Avon now back in Bath between 10 & 11 locks on the temp moorings.

So probably won't pass you thanks all the same.

Ade.