stuart

Featured Posts

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Before...

22388674e54b0f0e6d4300a935720040df47bfed2219f50deaf3d77e.jpg

After...

00063950b037e9843ba2c0ec5158a63f4c1a819562c59ca3a126d7e6.jpg

Had a couple of months break on the DIY stuff over Christmas. Got back into the swing of stuff this weekend and finished installing the bathroom door and corrider to the bedroom.

The wall containing the shower is quite thick (consealed shower unit) so used the space to hold 2 cubby holes - at least I have somewhere to store the windlass now!

I've cheated on the door and brought a very cheap pine internal door and cut it down to size. Had to chop an inch off each side! Brought the door from Shaws for £18.

Spent lots of time installing "L" trim around the boat, window frames, ceiling panels, kitchen, cupboards etc. Expensive stuff but does make everything look good.

Noticed that a lot of the pictures on this topic cannot be viewed anymore.

They are all still there at....

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/thumbnails...c_album=1087009

Tank in place (between bulkhead and bedroom) and toilet fitted to top.

Notice vent and pump out pipes running up - short straight run to prevent airlocks and suction problems.

I dont ever want to remove the inspection hatch again - sealed down with lots of silicone!!

347694760a7dea29a6fa09db83d61f146ab795c971b26e881258c9d6.jpg

Sink and cupboard will be installed over the top of the tank on the right hand side, next to a towel radiator. Back of toilet and top of tank will be tiled.

10492980bada93da5d18de4c8d1747c255dc5ce7e23e8d2e91c550e9.jpg

Just an update on the toilet and pump out tank. Its all fitted and working, had 3 or 4 pump outs now - not a single problem (touch wood!!). No smells, no leaks, very easy. Its also very useful having a pump out station near my mooring (supplied by BW £6 a time).

I havent used any chemicals in it at all, want to avoid using blue unless I really get problems with smell etc.

Edited by stuart

This all looks excellent! I really like the kitchen! Exactly how I would like mine were it not for my desire to stored endless pottery! I might still do it though. How did you attach your wine rack unit?!

How did you attach your wine rack unit?!

Thats just a B&Q coloured kitchen "end panel" cut up to fit a wine bottle!!

It's just screwed into the sink cupboard to fill the gap between that and the cooker.

• 2 weeks later...

12 months on.

Just over 12 months since the boat shell arrived from Liverpool boats, heres the costs so far, you may want to look away if your squeemish!!

Liverpool Boats = £19,895.25

B&Q = £1,788.17

Argos = £169.99

Farnell = £298.76

Midland Chandlers = £547.00

Limekiln Chandlers = £1,770.81

IKEA = £176.99

Maplin Electronics = £122.20

Toolstation £729.24

Wickes = £373.72

Woods Insulation = £270.18

Screwfix = £138.56

Nationwide Timber = £551.66

British Waterways = £454.50

Craftinsure.com = £240.40

Dudley Canal Trust Mooring = £1,590.80

Other = £989.51

GRAND TOTAL £30,107.74

That does include all costs so far, including mooring, BW licence and insurance, total of £2,285.70.

AND the boats not finished!!

Although only minor bits and pieces left to work with now, just the finishing touches!

Edited by stuart

Liverpool Boats = £19,895.25

B&Q = £1,788.17

Argos = £169.99

Farnell = £298.76

Midland Chandlers = £547.00

Limekiln Chandlers = £1,770.81

IKEA = £176.99

Maplin Electronics = £122.20

Toolstation £729.24

Wickes = £373.72

Woods Insulation = £270.18

Screwfix = £138.56

Nationwide Timber = £551.66

British Waterways = £454.50

Craftinsure.com = £240.40

Dudley Canal Trust Mooring = £1,590.80

Other = £989.51

GRAND TOTAL £30,107.74

I think its great your keeping track of what your spending, and i would be very interested to know roughy what you bought for that money

- Ie, what did you get from Midland for £547 ? etc

- Culd also be helpfull to people planing to under go there own fitout.

Daniel

That does include all costs so far, including mooring, BW licence and insurance, total of £2,285.70.

AND the boats not finished!!

Although only minor bits and pieces left to work with now, just the finishing touches!

How many man-hours work (or person-hours) do you reckon you've put into it? Cost that up and see how much you've saved!

How many man-hours work (or person-hours) do you reckon you've put into it? Cost that up and see how much you've saved!

Yeah, that very true too.

- Espcailly if you can do a break-down of where they went as well?

Daniel

Man-hours are often quantified when volunteer-organisations apply for lottery funding, so why can they not be quantified regarding a boat fit-out?

Keeping-Up is correct, if you knew how much time you had spent, you could get a rough idea of what a boatbuider would charge for labour. They would be quicker of course because they would have more than one person working on the boat at any one time, but the number of man-hours should be close to what a builder would have said.

Even if it serves no purpose to find out, it would be interesting to have a vague idea.

I'm scared to work out how many many hours and what this would cost as this is probably higher than just buying a completed boat!!

I'd guess this (a lot of the time there have been 2 people working on it)

80 weekend days x2 = 160 days

+ 20 days (holiday from work) x2 = 40 days

+ 50 evenings (3hrs) x2 = 12.5 days

Approx. 212.5 days effort = 1487.5 hours (7 hours per day)

Or just under a years worth of labour!

Although this is for 2 complete novices, who made mistakes and had to rework things occasionally. Theres also a learning curve so sometime taken working out how to fix a problem etc.

I'd also think there were weekends off "enjoying" the boat with a quick cruise!

Yeah, that very true too.

- Espcailly if you can do a break-down of where they went as well?

Daniel

Yep, I do have a complete break down but didnt want to post a list of 500 items!!

The Midlands Chandlers stuff was mainly the cost of toilet and various fittings I couldnt get from B&Q or the other chandlers. I think they are very expensive compared to my other favourite chandler, LimeKiln.

Stu.

Edited by stuart

OOw i would not even bother trying to work it out, it will only upset you.

Ive put over 1000 hours and 80K in so far and only about 1/3 done.

I stoped keeping track on the cost when it went over 70K

Richard, we know you are a valuable member of society, so I will guess £20 per hour for your time. So £100K spent so far, and only 1/3 done ...........................

the mind boggles :P

I keep a file of receipts and invoices and track it in a spreadsheet, but I hate looking at the bottom line. Last time I checked it was 55K and estimating 10K to finish (including marina berthing charges) by end 2006.

My total time will be about 500hrs. But I work faster than you so I must be worth at least £50 per hour. :D:rolleyes: ..... actually working in a dryberth in a marina in a city centre allows much better use of time. which helps.

But I work faster than you so I must be worth at least £50 per hour. :rolleyes::P

Interesting point, maybe experience makes no difference to the cost. An experienced person takes only half as many hours but if they are costed at twice the rate then the only difference is in the elapsed time.

Allan

Interesting point, maybe experience makes no difference to the cost. An experienced person takes only half as many hours but if they are costed at twice the rate then the only difference is in the elapsed time.

Allan

apologies to Stuart, we are all way :P on his build blog.

we all are risking getting a smack from Bernie :D:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Took a rather brave decision over the weekend - the interior of the boat is coming along nicely and fairly complete (apart from lots of varnishing/staining!), however the seating/eating area always felt a bit cramped and the seating was not at the correct angle so - its all been ripped out!

The seats and cupboard in the "living" area have been removed and the calorifier will be moved into the kitchen in the empty corner area under the worktop.

Will also need to move the electrics around a bit and expect that the cables will be too short!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stuart, boat is looking really good. Sorry I have only just found your forum.

Thanks to Chris for answering the engine query on our behalf.

With regards to John's comments "I don't know the percentages but Liverpool Boats don't fit engines as a matter of course, they build shells, that's what they are good at" I would point out that in the last month we have fitted 19 Isuzu engines in our boats. These are all done by our inhouse engineers, and anyone is welcome to speak to Isuzu and ask them how many problems they get from engines we have fitted. It would be interesting if somebody could come back to me with the name of a builder who "does fit engines as a matter of course" who has fitted more than this in the last month.

Look forward to following the completion of your boat

Hello Stuart, boat is looking really good. Sorry I have only just found your forum.

I would point out that in the last month we have fitted 19 Isuzu engines in our boats. These are all done by our inhouse engineers, and anyone is welcome to speak to Isuzu and ask them how many problems they get from engines we have fitted. It would be interesting if somebody could come back to me with the name of a builder who "does fit engines as a matter of course" who has fitted more than this in the last month.

Look forward to following the completion of your boat

Thats for that.

- Its great to have companys posting on the site, thanks for making the effort.

Daniel

Well 12 months on in the build of this boat, and I've started ripping out the interior I've only built 12 months ago!!

The cupboard in the living area was too big and made the room feel smaller than it should do - so its come out!

Old image, 12 months ago...

14March2005-FrontOfBoat.JPG

This is all the water and electric pipe work that used to be in the cupboard - notice the radio swinging from the wall! All the electrics will need to be moved against the bulkhead. See how dirty the steps have become in 12 months from all the people coming and going!

WaterTankBefore.jpg

The tank is moved into the kitchen area using the dead space in the corner of the work top and re-plumbed.

WaterTankAfter.jpg

Edited by stuart

Well this weekend will see me rewiring the 240v to put a new larger 1000W inverter in (maplins selling these cheap again!) and moving all the cabling into a new cupboard due to the last one being removed!

Luckly left enough slack on the 12v wiring so that it can be moved fairly easy. Will post piccys when I get chance!