Cruiser Stern

Central rear doors

Base place 10mm

Sides 6 mm

KNEES AND STRINGERS 50 x 50 x 5 mm

FLOOR BEARERS 50 x 50 x 5 mm

CABIN SIDES 4 mm

ROOF 4 mm ON 25mm x 25mm Box Section

Photos are on-line and will be updated with the progress when/if it happens!

Look Here For Pictures!

The choice of name is two fold. First it will probably take all day and night to finish the fit out! Second, once this boat is finished, it will mainly be used for weekend breaks and general fun and enjoyment for friends and family.

I'll update this picture with the current progress. Currently it looks like this:

0245643210bc97f7a655e159ac7226babc13c066b699b42b84113bcf.jpg

Edited by stuart

Its in the water and floats!

Boat turned up bright and early (8am) on Sat 30 Jan 2005.

More pictures are in the link above.

No nasty leaks or problems to report. A few rough edges on the steel work but nothing a grinder wont sort out.

65811114db418813a2e9006b4582ecad34c48e62c7f8d6a10dac3390.jpg

695503201a5032b649237aa20c6ad8b3eae68b8237a3ee2fc87ed6e4.jpg

The battening out of the hull sides begins. Slow progress to start with until I got plenty of new HSS drill bits!

Secured the hull battens directly to the 50mmx50mm angle section using 25mmx38mm battens. Used same battens to attach to cabin sides securing by wedging the one end between the roof and a screw into the other end through an internal lip in the gunwhale. Also secured using "no nails" type glue.

59110644563762247bdf8a40a887676077c0c809265f6e385bc72dd7.jpg

I could probably control my impatience for that long !!!

I've looked at the photo's, but can't see what is in the engine 'ole.

How much gear (apart from the engine) did she come with in there ?

Presumerably, you've got a starter battery, diesel tank, etc. Are your calorifier connections blocked off at present ?

I could probably control my impatience for that long !!!

I've looked at the photo's, but can't see what is in the engine 'ole.

How much gear (apart from the engine) did she come with in there ?

Presumerably, you've got a starter battery, diesel tank, etc. Are your calorifier connections blocked off at present ?

I'll get some engine pictures whilst she is still clean!

Starter battery, engine (+ essentials eg. gear box etc.) bilge pump, control panel/rev counter/hour meter. twin 70A alternators and connection to calorifier (when I find it!)

grease less stern gear.

Work is progressing (while I have time off work!) continuing with the battening out and deciding how/where to attach the frames.

The boat will have a centre channel along the roof line to hold lights/speakers/cables etc. I've purposely made this wider than most and is a full 12" wide. This will run the entire length of the cabin.

Have to collect the rest of the batten wood, oak ply and insulation tomorrow....

All the pictures are held here Photobox.

019935683d18d64ad77293336413f9f9809aba57f1b9cb32bf465598.jpg

Frame to guide/hold the battens while the wood is secured.

9292608580e94bf3d1c01d129532242cb8be192c6b3d900b14566add.jpg

Long and heavy day. Hired a van and ran around picking up all the insulation, battens and oak ply. This is what it looks like when the boat is loaded up!

The insulation is 25mm and 50mm polyurethane sheets with foil face. A little over the top but it should keep the boat snug and warm/cold.

800221398db2256c871064aa4837fa508c13bece8ca3d21a2cbeef54.jpg

Also covered the inside of the hull with Waxoyl before the insulation goes in. Needed to warm it over the camp stove before it would melt though!

6005926940642f8bd6788f313dfe09e16b6d645ab6f08be7bee9d111.jpg

Theres another £1000 gone!! <_<

Edited by stuart

Insulation and battening is progressing very well. About 70% done now. Heres the latest pictures.

I now know how a turkey feels at xmas with all this foil!

The battens are all 25mm deep with the vertical ones 50mm wide and the bottom horizontal ones 100mm wide. The wood bent very easily to the shape of the swim of the hull. Lots of self tappers held it together easily.

Reference site for the insulation is here Eurothane

Insulating the roof is next and this will be a bit trickier as its harder to get the insulation to wedge between the metal work.

Total man days spent on this boat so far is 8 days (around 7 to 9 hours per day)

38932583bc35284f75a344535035d9896f5552beb0bf71cef2d8e5db.jpg

19159072e74cd151ec29942396a4c91a783d6256ea4bc7d86c5cd413.jpg

Finally took some pictures of the engine-ole....

512796863f58c1ba540a7089c3454a4767359673d25e289fa8a0bb27.jpg

Edited by stuart

Please ignore the bottle (middle right) on the engine picture above I had to fill the bilge a little with water to try out the bilge pump!

Probably the first and last time I'll deliberatly put water INTO the bilge! <_<

Edited by stuart

Engine looks good!

Looks like a 4cyl. Isuzu?  What H.P. is it, was it standard with the package for a 45ft sailaway or is it a upgrade.

Look forword to the next installment.

Regards

JohnB.

No standard engine fitted. I believe it should be a 28hp Isuzu however looking closer today seems that we may have a 35hp fitted. Will double check with the manual later on. Everything in the engine 'ole is standard and as it comes from L.B. Not done anything with that except started the bilge painting!

Stuart.

I have been waiting for a bit of a technical run-through of your boat, perhaps with you saying that the photo' showed a mock up of the final installation, but it does look a bit finished.

If that really is the finished installation, it is appalling that a builder would send out a boat with an engine installed in that manner.

There appears to be no provision for coping with angular or linear misalignment of the engine, when running it will try to move around within the constraint set by those very nice flexible mounts which are doing a lot more harm than good in that installation. The forces will, with your set-up will be opposed by an effectively rigid propeller shaft transmitting massive forces through the gearbox output bearing and the stern tube. Both will wear and fail at an early stage, another less serious problem is that engine vibration and noise will be transmitted directly the the hull.

Your builder will doubtless tell you that he has been installing engines for 30 years and he knows what he is doing. One way or or another you must make him do the job properly.

Sorry to be throwing a bit of cold water onto your, I am sure otherwise excellent project.

Edited by John Orentas

I believe that's a standard scouseboat set-up. They offer a centaflex coupling as an extra, but when I asked for one I was told it was unnecessary. I wait to see how my engine is installed. I will certainly be modifiying the prop shaft and fitting a coupling if it looks bad. But there are thousands of liverpoolboats out there, I guess most have engines installed by the shell builders, so what is the actual experience?

Chris.

We can't necessarily blame Liverpool Boats, much of the engine installation and general fitting out is done by others.

Nobody should see a proper coupling system as an extra, they are absolutely essential with a modern soft mounted engine. Retrospective fitting can be very expensive.