nb-Dusk Till Dawn

stuart

Featured Posts

Is it beneficial to raise the stove up?

I had not considered it, and was planning to keep it low for 2 reasons : to allow plenty of rise to the back boiler pipes (gravity convection system), and for the diesel supply.  I have now decided to go multi-fuel Morso, so the second is no longer an issue.

I suppose the benefits are that the heat is more 'in your face' (good or bad?) and it is much easier to operate and maintain the stove (especially if you have back pain, as I do).

Any comments?

The stove is raised up for no other reason than the swim plate runs along the side so it would have pushed the stove about 200mm into the cabin space. I'm using a Jabsco circulating pump for the heating/boiler so no problems with gravity feeds to the radiators.

Theres also plenty of space under the stove, which I'm planning on building a large metal box to hold a bag of coal/wood. It is really easy to get to the stove for cleaning and loading with fuel rather than stooping down.

Its the first time I've used a Morso stove and I love it! :D Looks good, simple to use/clean and does its job.

Just for reference I paid £460 including the boiler for the 1410 standard model - from the local chandlers. I shopped around and this was by far the cheapest price I found.

Edited by stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Hi it is very dificult from the pic to tell but what spacing have you used for the lights, and what is the length of the room in the pic, i presume it is going to be your main living room?

Hi Richard.

The lights are all 10W halogen downlighters. I've put links to these on a previous thread, from tlc direct, about £4 each.

I have plenty installed to ensure that theres no dark corners but as previously mentioned, I've put in 3 and 2 way switches so I can control the mood/brightness of the rooms (and save battery power!).

There are 5 lights in the living area (1 centre, 2x2 either side) with a further 4 in the Kitchen (both rooms are together). When they are all on its very light - almost like day light. As the boat is only 45ft long, the living area is about 8ft long, kitchen about 6ft.

Does this help?

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Well its almost 2 months since I last posted any pictures - but that does not mean progress has not been made!

I'll post some more photos when time permits. So far we now have:

Working water system

Hot water powered by Morso stove (engine cal. connection yet to be made)

Working central heating radiators.

All internal bulkheads in place

Bed built

Functioning Wardrobe

Electrical system in place & lighting working

Kitchen 85% complete

Heres a quick bedroom photo. I'll take some more better quality ones this weekend.

1120274703d693f6b81fc4cb188a4d3faa9ed971f4a4e242c0a364f0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well with the bank holiday upon us I'm off to begin painting the outside of the boat!

Going to try and take as much of the delivery primer off as I can as its quite lumpy and gone porus in a few places.

Hope the sun stays out!

Blimey painting is hard work! I can see why it costs so much for people to do it for you now!

Two undercoats on one side of the boat now. Its not looking bad but the photos dont really do it justice as they are off my mobile phone!

Top coat tomorrow!

6765769847decd8d4720472346930964dfd2c933f958a4ee30b530da.jpg

486348162e2a04202826a7ed8ec310a9ef2888de8cf90bd0351c60f6.jpg

Edited by stuart

Well on/off rain put stop to putting a top coat on the boat today! :-(

Continued with the bathroom wall/shower instead. Once again blurry pictures!

The shower is a concealed thermostatic one so the wall is quite thick to hold this.

611427859c9784e9087fa4d5421b4c056f8bab5949f5924e67ef279f.jpg

Back of wall showing shower and ample space for cables/pipes etc.

322491725c3ed92c5d1fb6a250cc0347e18cbd25bba8817f775dfcaa.jpg

Edited by stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Toilet tank has been designed and ordered to be built out of 6mm steel plate. Gone for a traditional rectangle shape rather than the "L" shape I originally thought of to help prevent listing when the tank is full.

The new tank will be smaller and obviously hold less but the cost of pump outs is not too expensive. New tank is about 45 gallon.

Edited by stuart

• 1 month later...

Tank in place (between bulkhead and bedroom) and toilet fitted to top.

Notice vent and pump out pipes running up - short straight run to prevent airlocks and suction problems.

I dont ever want to remove the inspection hatch again - sealed down with lots of silicone!!

347694760a7dea29a6fa09db83d61f146ab795c971b26e881258c9d6.jpg

Sink and cupboard will be installed over the top of the tank on the right hand side, next to a towel radiator. Back of toilet and top of tank will be tiled.

Edited by stuart

Stuart

Could you tell me who you purchased your wire etc from.

Ta Brent

27442[/snapback]

A mixture of www.screwfix.co.uk and www.toolstation.co.uk. Also a few bits and pieces from rapid electronics.

I found toolstation very cheap for most things and fast free delivery if you spend £40.

A mixture of www.screwfix.co.uk and www.toolstation.co.uk.  Also a few bits and pieces from rapid electronics.

I found toolstation very cheap for most things and fast free delivery if you spend £40.

27445[/snapback]

do these cables meet the requirements for use on a boat?

I gave up trying to get such assurance from the usual sources like Screwfix and purchased Aquafax stuff from a chandler. Comes with CE marking to meet the RCD requirements. Didn't seem to cost much more.

I actually got the cable from Farnell not Rapid as previous posted!

They supply the data sheets online so you can see the maker and also the BS/CE marks that apply to it.

You also get the name and address of the maker so you can call them for paper work if required.

Heres a sample data sheet http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/23495.pdf

I actually got the cable from Farnell not Rapid as previous posted!

They supply the data sheets online so you can see the maker and also the BS/CE marks that apply to it.

You also get the name and address of the maker so you can call them for paper work if required.

Heres a sample data sheet http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/23495.pdf

27454[/snapback]

the data sheet makes no reference to multi-stranded cable.

hi

as mentioned by someone earlier,this will be good for people like myself,who is going to attempt their first ever fitout,Looking at what you've achieved,over such a short period of time has really boosted my confidence,you're doing a brilliant job and can't wait for future photo's. keep up the good work and good luck.