Wrenbury Marina resurfaces again

dor

Featured Posts

The proposed marina close to the village and near the notoriously slow lift bridge has been resubmitted to Cheshire East BC. Details at http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=14/1579N&query=f6d6e9796aea4bc5b8fe5924039002a9&start=&from=m

This had been submitted last year and had a great deal of local opposition. If the plans did go ahead it would almost certainly mean significant restricted passage times through the Wrenbury lift bridge.

As if another marina is needed in this area! I suspect it is being pushed for by the Alvechurch hire base next to the lift bridge which wanted to expand.

Hi Dave

We've just had a quick trip to Wrenbury yesterday. Definitely does not need a marina near that village. It's busy enough as it is. Fortunately we were moored up before the hire boats started coming out, but when they did, it was busy and very tight on the section after the bridge, the Dusty Miller side, because the hire base had most of their boats moored opposite the visitor moorings. The locals are opposed to it too, as Chris noticed when he went for a paper this morning, that lots of houses had 'No to marina' signs in windows.

The proposed marina close to the village and near the notoriously slow lift bridge has been resubmitted to Cheshire East BC. Details at http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=14/1579N&query=f6d6e9796aea4bc5b8fe5924039002a9&start=&from=m

This had been submitted last year and had a great deal of local opposition. If the plans did go ahead it would almost certainly mean significant restricted passage times through the Wrenbury lift bridge.

As if another marina is needed in this area! I suspect it is being pushed for by the Alvechurch hire base next to the lift bridge which wanted to expand.

I'm on a slow internet connection at the moment so I can't compare the old and new planning applications. What's the difference to the latest plan, which might mean its approved where the other one failed?

Hi Paul

I've not trawled through everything but it seems to me that little has changed. They are still trying to justify it on BW's encouragement for more marinas which is greatly out of date (the data is 2007-2010).

The previous application was withdrawn by the applicant rather than actually failing in submission. There is huge local opposition to it.

Hi,

Loved the comment "The idea that visitors hiring boats will use marinas to recharge their batteries is not the case" from a "boat owner" refering to Tatton Parks tome

Out of context or what? a boat owner ? I know of none that go into a marina to charge batteries or any marinas who offer this facility?

NIMBY yes do I blame them no we are all after the best for ourselves - except those who say not

The fact that there are vacancies in other less desirable locations is of no relevance if you nfancy a berth at a proposed new marina location

Ray

Edited by raymondh

Hi,

Loved the comment "The idea that visitors hiring boats will use marinas to recharge their batteries is not the case" from a "boat owner" refering to Tatton Parks tome

Out of context or what? a boat owner ? I know of none that go into a marina to charge batteries or any marinas who offer this facility?

Ray

Precisely! That is what the commenter is saying, i.e. that people will NOT want to use the marina to charge their batteries which is one of the reasons Tatton Park say the marina is needed.

Precisely! That is what the commenter is saying, i.e. that people will NOT want to use the marina to charge their batteries which is one of the reasons Tatton Park say the marina is needed.

Have you read Tatton Parks tome? re charging of batteries?

Think not

Ray

Have you read Tatton Parks tome? re charging of batteries?

Think not

Ray

I did indeed read the Tatton Park document. They say:

"Most craft now run onboard
electrical equipment via 240v circuits, which allows for microwaves and televisions.
Recharging boat batteries requires a berth hook-up. This means that marinas are for many
their preferred mooring place at all or most times, others may use them less frequently, but
generally at least one night in three."
Now we all know that is nonsense, as it is not neccesary to need a berth hook-up to recharge batteries, and that is what the commenter you are referring to is saying, i.e. that boaters don't go into marinas to charge their batteries.

I did indeed read the Tatton Park document. They say:

"Most craft now run onboard
electrical equipment via 240v circuits, which allows for microwaves and televisions.
Recharging boat batteries requires a berth hook-up. This means that marinas are for many
their preferred mooring place at all or most times, others may use them less frequently, but
generally at least one night in three."
Now we all know that is nonsense, as it is not neccesary to need a berth hook-up to recharge batteries, and that is what the commenter you are referring to is saying, i.e. that boaters don't go into marinas to charge their batteries.

Also says

"

Cheshire East is well positioned to access markets from other parts of Cheshire and surrounding areas
offeing a‘lazy outdoors’countryside experience, perfect for recharging the batteries. Working with Marketing Cheshire, the sub-regional place marketing board,his is being promoted through a series of thematic brands including a new Body & Soul’campaign "
Why did you not quote the above which is more in keeping with the context of Tattens text of the human benefits of a marina?
Ray
  • Greenie 1

Also says

"

Why did you not quote the above which is more in keeping with the context of Tattens text of the human benefits of a marina?
Ray

Well, for a start I can read, so know it is Tatton not Tatten. And on top of that I know, probably as well as you do, that that is a load of bullsh*t. As is the rest of their contribution.

Well, for a start I can read, so know it is Tatton not Tatten. And on top of that I know, probably as well as you do, that that is a load of bullsh*t. As is the rest of their contribution.

Oh hit a nerve there then - no real answer just bullsh&t ie pick the bit that suits - sorry about the spelling

Ray

Tatton Park also speaks of regeneration, but Wrenbury does not need regenerating it is a fine, busy, lovely place with lots of character.

There was indeed a good deal of opposition for the initail plans and yes nothing much has changed in the new plans but even so the objections have to be re submitted.

See this page for a link to the plans http://www.savewrenbury.co.uk/and you can follow on twitter here

https://twitter.com/save_wrenbury

Edited by Big Dig 1991

Sorry, but that comes across as blatant nimbyism.

Nothing wrong with a bit of nimbyism but that site certainly seems to be scraping the barrel to come up with reasons they don't want a marina.

'Hysterical' is the word that springs to mind for me rather than nimbyism. In fact I'm surprised there isn't any repressed racism in there. Not a hint of suggestion they don't want the marina attracting water gypsies (or some similar term) to their precious village.

MtB

Under the heading "An unfinished marina" on the website it states that if the developer runs out of money Cheshire East will be under pressure to agree to any planning condition to get it finished, even residential moorings. I can quite understand why they would dread this. Who would want residential moorings about the place. The moorers would want to buy stuff in the village shop, drink in the pubs and generally make a nuisance of themselves by-WOT, for heaven's sake.

I live on a residential mooring, the marina has recently been able to increase its resi mooring from 6 to 18 and what has happened, nothing. We only run our engines for around ten hours a day, each boat that is. Occasionally someone lets the side down and has a shower, drunken brawls are strictly limited to three a week, there is a three month waiting list and each resi moorer makes at least twelve trips per day in their cars. Even the ones without cars.

I do not understand the perceived problems with resi moorings. However, I can't see that another marina in the area is really needed.

Actually, having just re-read the above I suspect that someone will chuck the label "troll" at me. Ah well, won't be the first time.

It is pure hysteria.

I have no wish for a marina at Wrenbury but the arguments are ridiculous and don't stand any kind of scrutiny.

Interesting that the website owner thinks a marina will have a detrimental effect on the campsite. I bet the campsite had just as tough a job to get planning permission when it was first proposed.

• 3 months later...