self pumpout ?

Featured Posts

Part of the problem is that many Elson points are not on mains drainage and can't cope with self pump out . Maybe if those that can can't cope were more clearly identified in guides and in situ this would help

Part of the problem is that many Elson points are not on mains drainage and can't cope with self pump out . Maybe if those that can can't cope were more clearly identified in guides and in situ this would help

Far easier to ban self pumpouts then there would be no confusion

Emma said : "....let's think of ways of doing this cleanly and efficiently and providing facilities that match the equipment people use.."

An interesting proposition which should maybe investigated a little further - and given some thought by people who understand the implications of their thoughts, comments and actions.

Figures plucked out of the air :-

So we have 20,000 people using pump-outs, maybe there is potentially 50 different methods of achieving a 'pump-out' so we need to consider everyone of these and build a chain' of facilities to suit every possibility.

Alternatively (C&RT) could provide a set of standard facilities and people can match their equipment to the facilities provided - Radical I know.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

maybe if pumpouts wheren't such a rip off the people would use them more why should one way be free and the other way be a rip off yes the pump out motor has to be paid for but at some point a lot of profit will be made from it.

As regards flushing pipes through with canal water I refer you to aquatic poo and dog poo all in that clean water

maybe if pumpouts wheren't such a rip off the people would use them more why should one way be free and the other way be a rip off yes the pump out motor has to be paid for but at some point a lot of profit will be made from it.

As regards flushing pipes through with canal water I refer you to aquatic poo and dog poo all in that clean water

I don't personally think that price of the pump out is that much of an issue. I think it's more to do with availability of PO (there aren't that many comparing to Elsan disposals) I also seen quite a few that were out of order when I needed to use them. I also know of boaters that are being refused the pump out by the workboats as their tanks are too big.

b0atman, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Dog poo shouldn't go in the canal either - though of course some will disregard that too...

Our sewage treatment plant cost £12,000 to install, it has t be emptied at a cost of £300 twice a year, and the 'system' serviced annually at a cost of £100+ (depending on whats needed to be done). The discharge ('clean' water') is subject to a 'discharge licence' from the EA at some considerable cost.

The cost of sewage disposal is continually rising as legislation changes - every tanker load now has to go to a sewage works. Not all sewage works can accept the volume that a tanker dispenses, so the trucks have to go further and futher (extra cost) to empty.

The Sewage works charge a 'small fortune' to 'accept' the load.

In the 'old days' (a couple or three years ago) it could be put onto farming land and ploughed in.

It costs a lot of money to install and empty a "cess sysytem"

We should be grateful that 'cassette' emptiers are not charged (say) £1 per load

Far easier to ban self pumpouts then there would be no confusion

The only way To make it Easier & fairer, Ban all self Emptying,,Cassette Users, Composer users and SPo. Make everyone use Boat yards & Marinas and Supervised Elson points,That charge and monitor use.

Make everyone 'Pay for Poo' , like us pumpout have had to do for ages, that's fairer.and better

for the local business, impose HEAVY fines on people caught self Emptying / Digging.

Not ideal,but Fairer.

• Greenie 2

The only way To make it Easier & fairer, Ban all self Emptying,,Cassette Users, Composer users and SPo. Make everyone use Boat yards & Marinas and Supervised Elson points,That charge and monitor use.

Make everyone 'Pay for Poo' , like us pumpout have had to do for ages, that's fairer.and better

for the local business, impose HEAVY fines on people caught self Emptying / Digging.

Not ideal,but Fairer.

Everyone has choices in my case I decided to fit a cassette as it is easier and free the same I chose to declare "no home mooring" as it suits what I want and need.

I agree, If Everyone had to 'Pay Per Poo' it would cover the costs,and even encourage small 'mobile' Licensed low volume Poo emptying business to emerge along the Inland Waterway Systems as a whole.

Everyone has choices in my case I decided to fit a cassette as it is easier and free the same I chose to declare "no home mooring" as it suits what I want and need.

Choice is fine,no problem with ones choise,,But having chosen you should pay to get rid of the poo the same as other people may have to in my opinion.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

My boat has a self pumpout kit and I havent used it ever. I cant be bothered to wait until dead of night to connect it up and pop it into the cut and then scarper, or face the anger of the other boaters when I block the elsan disposal with a lake of foul slurry. I thought about using it to fertilise the fields over the towpath hedge but likewise worry it might not be popular.

The idea of decanting gallons of crap and carrying it for the sake of a few quid appeals not one bit.

The elephant in the room with self pumpout is what some people might be tempted to do in the cause of saving money. Mine will stay in the recess of the bow storage area for ever.

mattlad, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

We do pay to empty cassettes. The charge is incorporated in the licence fee.

Don't be using that argument as it will only encourage the SPOer's to say they pay exactly the same so should be allowed to freely dump their poo in elsans....

I agree, If Everyone had to 'Pay Per Poo' it would cover the costs,and even encourage small 'mobile' Licensed low volume Poo emptying business to emerge along the Inland Waterway Systems as a whole.

Choice is fine,no problem with ones choise,,But having chosen you should pay to get rid of the poo the same as other people may have to in my opinion.

This sounds a bit like the old "I pay so everyone else should" When I bought my boat it was understood that BW provided facilities for me to empty a cassette and if I went for pump out I would have to pay the same as if I decided to take a mooring I would have to pay in both cases I opted for the free option

Don't be using that argument as it will only encourage the SPOer's to say they pay exactly the same so should be allowed to freely dump their poo in elsans....

They could do exactly the same if they opted for a cassette

OMG REALLY !.

That's so unfair that Pumpout users have to the proportionately pay for cassette emptyers.

No they decide not to use the facility provided by CRT the same as I have never used shower facilities provided

EmmaB, on 09 Apr 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

....and the other 47 methods?

Cassette

Compost

'Proper' pump-out at a proper pump out place

SPO using an electric pump into an elsan

SPO using an electric pump into a foul drain (pipe not long enough to reach elsan)

SPO using an electric pump into a surface water drain (pipe not long enough to reach elsan)

SPO using an electric pump into the cut (pipe not long enough to reach elsan)

SPO using an electric pmp into the hedge botom (pipe not long enough to reach elsan)

SPO using a manual pump out into an elsan (pipe not long enough to reach elsan)

SPO using a manual pump into .......

SPO into jerry cans without the pressure relief button, emptied into the elsan

Should C&RT provide the pipes so that as a boat draws alongside they can just conect up their pump and 'away it goes'

What size pipe ?

O' sorry we need everysize to accomodate what everybody has.

I did say that the '50' was a number drawn out of the air, but there are more ways to incorrectly dispose of your excreta than you seem to percieve.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Do the ladies not require the space under the bed taken up by a poo tank to store all of the clothes they bought in the sale in 1987 & have never worn?

In their defence, they were 1/2 price but a size too small & bought in hope..........

The sun is out & I am being a cheeky chappie today to all & sundry.

Cassettes all the way for us. Take a deep breath for 30 seconds & all is done & dusted. Could not imagine 200 litres.......

Edited by Ronniesonic

Paul Your self pumpout comes into its own when out in the estuary or round the Swale

Absolutely Correct,

But if you read Posts like I think 2, 17and 38 I've used SPo when Harbour Navigation Restrictions have been in place,or Bad weather forces me to stay put.

These Pumpout Vs Cassette Arguments/Debates are completely new to me, I've never come across such a devide before.

If someone misuses a facility,penalize that individual, not everyone else.

If a person drives off from a garage without paying for his Petrol,you don't tar all the other Petrol vehicle users with the same brush, & then only cater for Diesel vehicles !.

And just a note,

In this Very Marina about 6 month ago there was a Cassette user that dropped his cassette whilst emptying one evening,breaking off the nozzle,spilling it's contents all over the floor, just like the pictures posted earlier, luckily this event was captured on the marinas CCTV and was delt with the following day.

So should they now ban all cassette users.

• Greenie 2

Paul's Nulife4-2, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:Paul's Nulife4-2, on 09 Apr 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

In this Very Marina about 6 month ago there was a Cassette user that dropped his cassette whilst emptying one evening,breaking off the nozzle,spilling it's contents all over the floor, just like the pictures posted earlier, luckily this event was captured on the marinas CCTV and was delt with the following day.

Sorry Paul but that sounds like an unfortunate accident - that is different from abusing a facility in a way it is not designed to be......

ed. though I agree if s/he didn't report it s/he was wrong.

Edited by The Dog House

Agreed - but there is a big difference between a 20 litre 'tidal wave' and a hose thrashing about like a demented Python & squirting out 200+ litres.

Ofcourse your right DH, it probably was an accident, then the embarrassment kicks in ect ect, (no they didn't report it,hence the marina checking the CCTV.)

But the end result is very similar.

Agreed - but there is a big difference between a 20 litre 'tidal wave' and a hose thrashing about like a demented Python & squirting out 200+ litres.

Are you saying self pump outs stick a hose directly into the Elson,then flick the pump on !.

How do you know if the pipe hasn't fallen out, Or if there is a Blockage, and that is one hell of a lengthy pipe to carry around, How the hell is one that long Handled, Cleaned & Stored !

No surly not.?. (Check out Posts 2, 17 & 38 )

Is everything a "rip off" to you?

A business has to buy the equipment required, has to service the equipment, has to pay wages, insurance and probably has to pay for the disposal of the excrement. Do you expect them to do it for nothing?