Electoral register - credit rating

Wanted

Featured Posts

Perhaps it should be made clear on the electoral register form that there may be consequences of opting out of the commercial register.

I'm getting a mite confused here. This sadly has happened before sad.png

Does not being on the commercial register mean that the fact that you are on the electoral roll is not known to the credit reference agencies?

I'm getting a mite confused here. This sadly has happened before sad.png

Does not being on the commercial register mean that the fact that you are on the electoral roll is not known to the credit reference agencies?

Apparently so. The full register is available only to view in person at Council offices. Credit reference agencies buy the commercial register, as do many other bodies.

I have not been on the elector role for over 10 years, although I have an address that I use as a postal address only.

I have not had any trouble with bank accounts but only have debit cards, not credit. My choice not the bank. I recently took out a brand new phone on a contract and had no trouble applying for it.

Yeah, that's the rub, I have a phone contract, debit card and various other bits and bobs but have been refused a credit card on the grounds of the electoral register. I don't really want a credit card but will want to look for a boat loan at some point soon.

I guess that if I am to get a marine mortgage then I would need a full resi anyway, so I will have to do that be first.

Interesting predicament that we find ourselves in.

Yeah, that's the rub, I have a phone contract, debit card and various other bits and bobs but have been refused a credit card on the grounds of the electoral register. I don't really want a credit card but will want to look for a boat loan at some point soon.

I guess that if I am to get a marine mortgage then I would need a full resi anyway, so I will have to do that be first.

At the end of the day though, credit card issuers aren't bothered about the ability to vote or not. They're concerned with the ability to not lose track of who owes them money if you don't keep up payments, and to recover this in an easy manner - or to realise that their customers know this, so try to keep up payments. Yes its a broad brush stroke to use the electoral register and try to extrapolate the ability to pay (or be made to pay) but its not the only system they use. Its worth clarifying if the electoral register affects your credit score or your credit rating, which are subtly different things. They have other ways ot assessing customers credit worthiness too, for example they use the GAIN network and Falcon algorithms.

At the end of the day though, credit card issuers aren't bothered about the ability to vote or not. They're concerned with the ability to not lose track of who owes them money if you don't keep up payments, and to recover this in an easy manner - or to realise that their customers know this, so try to keep up payments. Yes its a broad brush stroke to use the electoral register and try to extrapolate the ability to pay (or be made to pay) but its not the only system they use. Its worth clarifying if the electoral register affects your credit score or your credit rating, which are subtly different things. They have other ways ot assessing customers credit worthiness too, for example they use the GAIN network and Falcon algorithms.

Yes, It's just another dance I find myself having to do with the devil!

Apparently so. The full register is available only to view in person at Council offices. Credit reference agencies buy the commercial register, as do many other bodies.

For information, this from a credit reference agency, Noddle, "There are two versions of the register, the full register and the edited register. When you opt out this means you won’t appear on the edited register so your details are not used for marketing.

This should have no impact on Credit Reference Agencies showing you on the Electoral Roll. It may be that you’re registered at an address which is different to your current address on your account."
This from the Electoral Commission website, "There are two versions of the register - the full version and the edited version. Your details will appear on the full version of the register, but you can choose to have your details excluded from the edited version when registering. The full register is used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for credit. The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing. So it would appear that credit reference agencies have access regardless of which version you are in.

For information, this from a credit reference agency, Noddle, "There are two versions of the register, the full register and the edited register. When you opt out this means you wont appear on the edited register so your details are not used for marketing.

This should have no impact on Credit Reference Agencies showing you on the Electoral Roll. It may be that youre registered at an address which is different to your current address on your account."

This from the Electoral Commission website, "There are two versions of the register - the full version and the edited version. Your details will appear on the full version of the register, but you can choose to have your details excluded from the edited version when registering. The full register is used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for credit. The edited register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing. So it would appear that credit reference agencies have access regardless of which version you are in.

Thanks Rich, the issue I have is that I would need to register as a local connection and therefore not show up to credit companies at all.

I wanted to open a separate savings account with Natwest who I banked with but could not as they said I did not exist meanwhile the sent statements and junk mail to the Marina for me. Another case of computer says no

Credit ratings are all BS. I have or should have a bad credit rating.

I tried getting a mobile phone when I was living in a shared house. They wanted £50 deposit for the duration of the contract (sucks to be me).

Some time later another occupant wanted a mobile phone, different name same address, the phone company wanted £350 deposit. Later still a 3rd person wanted a phone, has a donkeys years old mortgage never missed a payment, good credit history, different name same address, the phone company wanted £700 deposit.

The problem here is the muliple applications for credit at the same address albeit in different names.

This always rings alarm bells with credit companies like wise if one person gets turned down and then goes on to apply to a second and a third, this also flags up a as dodgy dealer.

Phil

When I left the EU to go cruising I registered as a UK non-resident allowing minor tax advantages, although I returned to the UK for a short while each year.

I accepted that this caused me to drop off the electoral roll but it came as a shock when I discovered I failed the most basic credit rating despite having a registered UK address, when I tried to get a new mobile phone contract. More hassles followed when I wanted to open a new account with the bank I had other accounts with for 30 years. Although they tried to be helpful they couldn't get beyond their banks credit rating check policy serviced as suggested, by a third party who apparently obtain their information from government bodies.

All sorted now I'm repatriated to the UK, but a worry at the time.

I'm on the electoral role but its a declaration of a local connection (i.e homeless as far as they're concerned) and it doesn't match my postal address. Got no problems with phone contracts or anything like that, but I'm sure I applied for a credit card a year or two ago, before my bank did visa debit cards, I'd had problems with my Amex chargecard- getting bumped from hotels I'd booked for work when I arrived to check in - I think maybe due to the high commission they charge, so I needed a Visa or Mastercard to use instead. I was surprised I was rejected. I am self employed as well though. Don't have any credit cards or any debt. I suppose the answer is to get my records from Equifax. I agree with you, if you need to borrow in the future, then it is a problem and it's better to sort it now.

A friend of ours who had some issues in the past and jow wants a mortgage has found five years to be a magic number, but that was for bad things to expire rather than building up good scores..

Looks like we'll be heading towards you Saturday early afternoon if you guys are around and fancy a cheeky half :)

Just a point on the selling on of lists of names. These lists exist not only as drawn from the electorial register but from many sources. Bought anything mailorder or from the net? Yeah you will be on a list. Filled out a warranty card for a new TV etc, your on a list and so it goes on. You might as well register to vote as you are on many saleable lists anyway.

Phil

When trying to tidy up credit files I discovered that even tiny discrepancies in address can make a difference - common with non-standard addresses like boatyards. Eg I was on the electoral roll with my boat name and boatyard, but NB in front of the boat name made it not show on the credit file. It was possible to get a letter from council confirming I DID exist and WAS on electoral roll to send off to Experian and Equifax

All far too complicated. I probably need to go check again as it has been a while.

A friend of ours who had some issues in the past and jow wants a mortgage has found five years to be a magic number, but that was for bad things to expire rather than building up good scores..Looks like we'll be heading towards you Saturday early afternoon if you guys are around and fancy a cheeky half :)

i may well be about, I'll pm my number, i can tell you all about my 5 year hiatus!