Boat painter wanted - Rugby or within cruising distance

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a boat painter in the Rugby area (south / south west). I just want the side panels painting plus sign writing and since the last / first paint job has lasted for nearly 8 years I'm looking for a quality job at a fair price. My problem is that so far I have had guesstimates from a few hundred pounds to thousands and with that disparity I am concerned about the finish achieved at the lower end to being exploited at the upper end. I think I would prefer to find someone who has undercover facilities since this should guard against the vagaries of weather. Has anyone any recommendations?

Oxon Boat Paint Co at Brinklow come highly recommended from me. They have a fantastic heated dock, with temperature and humidity monitoring. Chirs has just completed a full repaint on our boat and the amount of comments we received on the way home are testimony to how good it looks.

http://www.oxonboatpainting.co.uk/

Another very satisfied customer of Oxon Boat Painting Company at Brinklow here. It's still looking good after 3 years extensive cruising.

Kitman from OBP Co posts on the forum occasionally.

N

I think one of your problems as far as individual painters may be that you just want side panels painting. A freelance boat painter usually books a dock for 6 week slots , sometimes concurrently so a short job like yours, two maybe three weeks, wastes a slot.

There is also the sticking point of once you agree a job, and finding issues of say, rust or tar, spreading across areas NOT to be painted as well as to be painted.i.e tug deck hatches or handrails.

A decent boat painter wanting to do a job to satisfy themselves as well as you (quality workmanship), will be hard pushed not to start on the aforesaid extra areas, and then have to continue.....

If it is just inset panels, it may be a simple job, but if any rust is creeping, or previously done paint job flakes off into a non-requested part, are you happy to sanction the extra cost or not.

That is why the quality boat painters quote so much, and the others quote so little.

• Greenie 1

I think one of your problems as far as individual painters may be that you just want side panels painting. A freelance boat painter usually books a dock for 6 week slots , sometimes concurrently so a short job like yours, two maybe three weeks, wastes a slot.

There is also the sticking point of once you agree a job, and finding issues of say, rust or tar, spreading across areas NOT to be painted as well as to be painted.i.e tug deck hatches or handrails.

A decent boat painter wanting to do a job to satisfy themselves as well as you (quality workmanship), will be hard pushed not to start on the aforesaid extra areas, and then have to continue.....

If it is just inset panels, it may be a simple job, but if any rust is creeping, or previously done paint job flakes off into a non-requested part, are you happy to sanction the extra cost or not.

That is why the quality boat painters quote so much, and the others quote so little.

Thanks that all makes sense particularly about the dock booking but assuming the higher priced quoters have taken into account the unknowns when pricing I doubt that they then reduce their price when the boat has no issues and all proceeds as well as it could: ;-)