newbe

jacko264

Featured Posts

Welcome Graham. There is a good deal of useful info here for the novice and experienced alike and a lot of helpful people. You will have to sift through the jokes, drivel and arguments but often it is worth it.

I hope you will dive in and contribute.

jacko264, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:jacko264, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

Hi all i am new to this forum .

My name is Graham my self and family have been narrow boating for about 9 years now as we are doing this year we are doing the Leicester ring

Graham

Welcome -

we did the Leicester Ring as hire boaters four years ago and we had a great time.

The Soar is beautiful, Foxton is great (though don't mess up like we did, it's teeming with gongoozlers to witness your balls up). Some of the broad locks can be hard work but still enjoyable all the same. If you have time shoot up the Ashby too - very pretty further up.

Keep an eye on the weather because some of the river sections can rise quite quickly.

We took a fairly leisurely 14 days to complete it. (we didn't do the Ashby) We met one boat coming the other way that claimed they were on time to do it in a week - not my idea of fun.

Edited by The Dog House

If you like looking at Roman Remains / dead Kings / history, not to mention the best (ethnic) fruit and veg: market, then you must stop in Leicester - even if you have to breast up to a secure mooring. There's "Shoppin' " as well but they/re everywhere....

Hi all

Thank you for the warm welcome

We are starting from Coventry on our holidays this year ,

we are looking forward to the river sections as we have never been on a river before . any tips are most welcome ,

In fact any tips about going round Leicester ring is welcome

Any where NOT to stop over night as we got attacked in Leamington one night we had the doors jammed and kids running up and down the roof + druggies under the bridge near us

Graham

I love the Leicester ring, really varied, remember to tell the lock keeper at Foxton and Watford when you arrive as he/she controls who goes through when.

Have a brilliant time .... the Soar is really quite special.

Hi all

we are looking forward to the river sections as we have never been on a river before . any tips are most welcome ,

Any where NOT to stop over night as we got attacked in Leamington one night we had the doors jammed and kids running up and down the roof + druggies under the bridge near us

Graham

Well don't stop in Lemington again (or go down the Ashby) as you will have made a wrong turn and will be going round the Warwick ring.

Joking aside. I hope you enjoy the Leicester ring it has a great mix of canal and river and different scenery. As for where not to stop it is often said to be unwise in Leicester itself but there are places where it should be OK. It can be a long day to get through Leicester if you want to miss it all out. The CRT supplied moorings in the centre of Leicester on pontoons next to a park seem quite secure and means the city centre is not far away. We stayed there on one of our trips round and it was fine. you may need to breast up with another boat as the pontoons are not that long so can soon fill up. The park is locked at night and the gate to the pontoons needs a BW key and it is on the opposite side to the towpath.

Hi all

Graham

Presumably Valley Cruisers who seem to have a very good reputation? Are you going clockwise or anticlockwise?

There are not too many "avoid mooring" areas due to native activity, Leicester as stated previously (except on the secure city centre moorings) and Nuneaton, maybe some parts of Burton (but other parts are fine). Common sense prevails so moor in large towns where you see other boats. If there are no boats, maybe it's for a reason! Oh and Braunston. No-where to moor, noisy, and snooty neighbours! Personally I would be too scared to moor on the Trent. Big weirs!

Chunks of the Leicester section, whilst lovely, can be shallow at the sides with soggy banks and no piling. But equally there are some fabulous places to moor on it too.

Do venture down the Welford Arm.

jacko264, on 07 Mar 2014 - 2:11 PM, said:

Hi all

Graham

Opinions differ but we did it anti-clockwise after taking soundings on here before we set off. Mainly because it meant going downhill from Foxton to the Trent making the transit through the big double locks a bit quicker. We were on our own with just me doing the locks - ideally doing it again I would try and 'buddy up' with another boat, though if you have a few crew this wont really matter.

I honestly cant think of anywhere we wouldn't have stopped overnight - even Leicester has safe secure moorings though we didn't use them - we moored outside of Leicester at Thurmaston across from MGM Nar rowboats.

Somebody with more recent experience/knowledge may have better info. on that though.

I guess you are hiring?? - if so ensure your hire co. knows you are intending to do the Leicester ring as they should provide you with an anchor if they know this (Napton NB's did for us)

Presumably Valley Cruisers who seem to have a very good reputation? Are you going clockwise or anticlockwise?

There are not too many "avoid mooring" areas due to native activity, Leicester as stated previously (except on the secure city centre moorings) and Nuneaton, maybe some parts of Burton (but other parts are fine). Common sense prevails so moor in large towns where you see other boats. If there are no boats, maybe it's for a reason! Oh and Braunston. No-where to moor, noisy, and snooty neighbours! Personally I would be too scared to moor on the Trent. Big weirs!

Chunks of the Leicester section, whilst lovely, can be shallow at the sides with soggy banks and no piling. But equally there are some fabulous places to moor on it too.

Do venture down the Welford Arm.

Yes you are right Valley Cruisers is who we are using this year i have been reading on here they have a good reputation

We are thinking of going Anti-clock as thats what Valley suggest

Graham

Yes you are right Valley Cruisers is who we are using this year i have been reading on here they have a good reputation

We are thinking of going Anti-clock as thats what Valley suggest

Graham

Valley Cruiser boats are smart, well laid out, maintained and clean inside so you should get a good boat from them.

As far as which way round I have found it doesn't make much difference and have gone round in both directions without really feeling a difference.

With Foxton I have waited at the bottom to go up and likewise at the top to go down. In fact one time going down I got to the top lock early to be firts in the queue to go down only to be told I would have to wait for 6 boats to come up, it took two hours. So it is a bit of pot luck.

Make sure you get stops at Zouch Rose & Crown good food Willington 3 pubs a co-op store, Alrewas best butchers and if you have time National War Arboreatum.

Pleased to see you know where you are from not many use proper name .

Make sure you get stops at Zouch Rose & Crown good food Willington 3 pubs a co-op store, Alrewas best butchers and if you have time National War Arboreatum.

Pleased to see you know where you are from not many use proper name .

We will we like the pubs and good food

We are a team /sorry crew of 5 when we go

Yes i like to use Hull's full and proper name Kingston upon Hull