LW sprayer prickers

Wrinkley

Featured Posts

Hi all

After reading the manual I am apparently 'allowed', nay, encouraged to clean the outside of my sprayers. Anybody know where to buy the prickers?

ps Thanks to Tim for the tool to remove the sprayers. Made the job so simple.

Graham

Hi all

After reading the manual I am apparently 'allowed', nay, encouraged to clean the outside of my sprayers. Anybody know where to buy the prickers?

ps Thanks to Tim for the tool to remove the sprayers. Made the job so simple.

Graham

Hi,

I purchased one of these tools as well - nice to get something hand made and not stamped 'Made in China'.

L

Pedantic mode on...

That is not a symptom.

Pedantic mode off...

Isn't it? Oh look, I have a lot of soot on the end of my injector. I wonder where that came from?

Richard

Isn't it? Oh look, I have a lot of soot on the end of my injector. I wonder where that came from?

Richard

So what symptoms would present themselves to think " I wonder if there is any soot on the end of my injectors?"

So what symptoms would present themselves to think " I wonder if there is any soot on the end of my injectors?"

That's a great question. How would you notice poor combustion?

Richard

Find some deep water and give the engine a damn good thrashing

To much slow running on light loads is the problem

edit

I realise that I have just setup a Faulty Towers comment

Edited by Proper Job

In mid 2012 the pricker and the lapping tool were obtainable from Gardner Parts (Leyland, Lancs) see Web Archive.

I got mine from Gardner Enthusiast but their Tools Page is now empty. Roberts Hall is in Chalgrove, Oxon.

Both are worth an email enquiry.

An article in the Autumn 2005 Gardner Forum Newsletter No.9 (pdf) (from 1944) suggests the sprayers should be serviced at 10,000 mlle intervals. Maybe ~300 hours for a boat engine. On that basis I should be doing mine every three or four months but I last serviced mine 2,000 hours back. Maybe modern fuels and additives allow an extended service interval?

I so wish that my 1950 Marine 3LW had come with the original, comprehensive, tool-kit.

HTH, Alan