Anyone have a new build by New&Used Boat Co. Please?

Sas

Featured Posts

Their Aqualine range of boats is made in Poland.

Superbly constructed if a bit oddly styled. I used to do their pre-delivery gas inspections when the traded from Reading so got to see every boat sold.

Dunno what else they sell these days, if anything else.

MtB

Wasn't it N&UBC that sold boats of strange lengths like 39' 6" ?

They were made in Poland (or somewhere similar) and they just fitted into 40' containers for shipping.

Wasn't it N&UBC that sold boats of strange lengths like 39' 6" ?

They were made in Poland (or somewhere similar) and they just fitted into 40' containers for shipping.

It was Whilton Marina who shipped boats in containers and they came from East West Marine in China, they were 39' or 44' but they have now stopped building them.

Aqualine dont normally build anything under 57' but they have done 2 special order 45' boats, they are built in Poland and shipped over on a lorry via the ferry.

It was Whilton Marina who shipped boats in containers and they came from East West Marine in China, they were 39' or 44' but they have now stopped building them.

Aqualine dont normally build anything under 57' but they have done 2 special order 45' boats, they are built in Poland and shipped over on a lorry via the ferry.

Thanks - I knew I'd read it somewhere about someone

iv got first hand expierience with cris..i engineered for them many years ago.....promised the earth but sometimes seemed to deliver next to nothing...hes supposodly from a static caravan back ground and it showed..i still look after a few scouse skips that came from him and there bloody awful in my personal opinion...one boat in perticular had to be replated after two years. we dont know why but some people are saying it was because they earthed the hull on the dc side. cris spoke the old chap into saying nothing <snipped text>........if you read this and want to call me a lier please do...

edited after some advise ninja.gif

Edited by station tug

My only observation is that a boat of such square dimensions (ie a short but wide boat) will not handle as well as a longer boat for the same beam or a narrower boat for the same length. Been there, done it etc (49.5 ft by 12.5 ft) and it handled very poorly.

Roger

Mine is 50x12'3" and handles quite nicely.

Mine is 50x12'3" and handles quite nicely.

That depends on several factors of course. The under water shape and the past experience of the person steering. My boat had a poor bow shape and blunt stern swim and was appalling for handling and yet a couple of other owners with identical boats and with no previous boating experience thought they were OK, only because they had nothing to compare it with having never owned boats before. However, the upshot was that anyone who had experience all agreed that that class of boat handled very poorly.

It is still true to say that boats with a better length/beam ratio will handle better and be faster through the water.

Roger

Edited by Albion

QUITE!!!!!!

Thanks for providing another viewpoint....its always useful to look at pros and cons!

It is always difficult to advise anyone on the subject of a good builder for a reasonable (cheapish) cost because everyone tends to have their own standards, opinions and hearsay evidence. The best bet is to go and look during other builds but you do need to have a certain amount of practical knowledge and skills in order to make a reasoned impartial judgement. If you don't possess those skills then it is always useful if you can find someone more skilled and knowledgeable to accompany you on the first visit IMO.

I did once get a less than satisfactory boat despite my practical knowledge because the boat was built so very quickly that even reasonably frequent visits during the build weren't frequent enough to see behind the surface and see some of the dodges that went on. I always knew that, for the price, I wasn't going to get a top notch boat but I wasn't prepared for quite what I got. I sold it on after improving some of the handling aspects etc by underwater steelwork modifications but could do nothing about the lack of spray foam thickness to name just one aspect of the poor quality build.

Roger

Edited by Albion

That depends on several factors of course. The under water shape and the past experience of the person steering. ....

It is still true to say that boats with a better length/beam ratio will handle better and be faster through the water.

Roger

Absolutely..... Experience has only been probably couple of months in total ,on a variety of narrowboat s and one we nicknamed the African Queen as she was a broader beam, ancient and fabulous! We cruised the Avon and tbh she was a bit sluggish....but fab.......

Needless to say we ll be requesting a trial on a boat of similar size first.....

It is always difficult to advise anyone on the subject of a good builder for a reasonable (cheapish) cost because everyone tends to have their own standards, opinions and hearsay evidence..... If you don't possess those skills then it is always useful if you can find someone more skilled and knowledgeable to accompanyyou on the first visit IMO.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I've learned more on this forum over the past week than I have in a lifetime! I owe at least 2 folk a pint!!!!

For what it's worth, we bought a new build from Northwich 6 years ago.

It was delivered on time and to price, which is good.

After 4 years we had her stretched (50' to 60'), by Pinders. During an inspection there we found that the original spray foam was very thin. If I had more experience I would have spotted that during the build, but I didn't. Nor did the surveyor we employed!

But really that's been the only issue.

A couple of lessons: employ a surveyor who really is independent: really ask them hard questions. Mine was focussed on safety, which is good, but they need to make sure build standards are good too.

The other lesson is to do serious research on the builder's financial status. We steered clear of 2 after seeing their 'delicate' situation!

Edited by keble

After 4 years we had her stretched (50' to 60'), by Pinders. During an inspection there we found that the original spray foam was very thin. If I had more experience I would have spotted that during the build, but I didn't. Nor did the surveyor we employed!

But really that's been the only issue.

A couple of lessons: employ a surveyor who really is independent: really ask them hard questions. Mine was focussed on safety, which is good, but they need to make sure build standards are good too.

The other lesson is to do serious research on the builder's financial status. We steered clear of 2 after seeing their 'delicate' situation!

The problem is of course that likely no survey would have highlighted that on a boat that had already been constructed as opposed to one under construction and before it had been lined.

The big weakness of a survey is that they do not normally cover checks on any thing that requires any sort of dismantling to be undertaken. (though of course it can be understood to a degree where damage may be caused to somebodies boat)

I would say it would have not been picked up by any surveyor (unless somebody knows different and they would have a way of checking)

I would echo this advice

Despite agreeing to staged payments our builder asked for the final payment long before the boat was finished ...so that he could buy the steel for his next boat!

Thanks Keble.....another pint.......!!!

Reading this thread, late last night in bed, I had the sudden desire to do what Mr & Mrs Timothy Spall have done , and circumnavigate the UK in a Dutch type Barge. Class c or b.

So,,,,,,I got to looking at appropriate vessels.

It's not going to happen unless I win the lottery, and I rarely do the lottery, so the odds are looking rather slim.

But a man can dream can't he?

There's some really nice looking boats about. 180/200k is not a lot of money is it? (When you have just won the euro lottery on a quadruple roll over.)

Where did I put that old oil lamp I found, I'm sure it needs a bit of a rub!

Martyn

My best advice is always never buy a new build. There is SO MUCH to go wrong.

Far better to buy second hand, than you can see what you are getting.

MtB

P.S. On reflection, I mean never commission a new build. Fine to buy a newly built 'off the shelf' boat you can see and have a surveyor pick over endlessly before buying it.

My best advice is always never buy a new build. There is SO MUCH to go wrong.

Far better to buy second hand, than you can see what you are getting.

MtB

P.S. On reflection, I mean never commission a new build. Fine to buy a newly built 'off the shelf' boat you can see and have a surveyor pick over endlessly before buying it.

Yes, much better to buy something built in the century-before-last.

Yes, much better to buy something built in the century-before-last.

now, that reads as a teeny weeny bit confrontational to me, but I really don't mind being corrected if I'm incorrect.

I'm sure Mikes chin is strong enough though.

Martyn

now, that reads as a teeny weeny bit confrontational to me, but I really don't mind being corrected if I'm incorrect.

Martyn

It's fine. Nick knows I have him on 'ignore' and just posts stuff like this in an (occasionally successful) attempt to penetrate the veil and provoke regardless.

It just makes me smile.

:)

See?

MtB

Martyn

Teasing? yes. Confrontational? Not in this context really. But the sad thing is, I agree with MtB's point as a general one, but don't tell him I said so (he has me on his ignore list so he won't see this).

I trust that next time he posts something anti regarding my boat, you will find it equally "confrontational"!

Edited by nicknorman