Bayliner 285

Newtocanals1

Featured Posts

I am looking getting a Bayliner 285 as a cabin cruiser. I know the beam is 10ft and it won't win prices for clearance. Would it still be able to do River Severn and Glouceser/Sharpness canal? I am also hoping it could dart down the Severn and join the Avon via Bristol. Am I right in thinking that the Avon has sufficient clearance/width&height to cater for such a gin palace? :)

Thanks for the reply. I've seen Bridge 83 (Hungerford Station Road) on the Avon is quite low as well, with a height of 3.10/3.7m it could be tricky. Grateful for any extra advice. All new and very exciting but don't want to make a huge mistake...!

If that is the true bridge height then a 285 will clear that as it is higher then the Lincoln bridges and 285's can squeeze under those.

Yes, you'll be able to do The Severn as far as Stourport, and the Avon but I'm not sure if your air-draft is low enough to make it to Stratford.

I think that is the wrong "Avon".

But anyway, the air draught of the Bayliner 285 is 9ft 1in (according to this advert):

http://www.rightboat.com/boats-for-sale/bayliner-285-cruiser-31896

It should be *just about* OK on the lower reaches of the Avon at normal water levels, where the bridge clearance is quoted 10ft minimum. I suspect the "pinch points" are probably King John's Bridge in Tewkesbury and Eckington Bridge.

The bridge clearance on the Upper Avon is quoted as 8ft, so there's no chance of getting to Stratford.

Not exactly sure offhand where the "pinch point" is on the upper river, but Binton is a good candidate, or possibly Bidford.

I doubt that something that big would get under Eckington Bridge on the WARWICKSHIRE Avon, but is the OP talking about the "Bath" Avon?

Could fill the water and Poo tanks, (equivalent of letting air out of the tyres to get a vehicle under a road bridge.

Could fill the water and Poo tanks, (equivalent of letting air out of the tyres to get a vehicle under a road bridge.

You do need to make sure you can get back though.

A large flybridge went away for a week from Burton Waters. On the way out fully laden with water, fuel, food and booze they squeezed under the railway bridge at Saxilby. On the way back they didnt fit as the tanks were empty and the load lighter. Unfortunately for them they had to go back to Torksey to fill up with water as the waterpoint at Saxilby is the wrong side of the bridge for them. rolleyes.gif

I knew a bloke with a Bayliner when I was moored on the Thames. He told me some people called them "Binliners" on account of the fact that they didn't handle well. Still, it's all relative - perhaps he'd never moved a canal boat!

Folks in these parts refer to them as bin liners on account of their often questionable build quality! You can see they are built to a stricter budget than some other makers.

That said there are enough if them around providing good service so they can't be all that bad.

What is petrol availability like in your intended cruising area? You will be lucky to find a 285 with a Diesel engine.

Folks in these parts refer to them as bin liners on account of their often questionable build quality! You can see they are built to a stricter budget than some other makers.

That said there are enough if them around providing good service so they can't be all that bad.

What is petrol availability like in your intended cruising area? You will be lucky to find a 285 with a Diesel engine.

And if you find a Diesel one it will be up for a lot more dosh than the petrol one ,we looked at some 285 and 2855 bayliners before the Rinker but the slow speed handling was no where near as good .

they are as I am sure the OP realises the about the biggest single leg cruiser out there so bang for buck sizewise a good choice ....as mentioned the build quality aint all that

We used our Honda suitcase genny for Charging batteries and cooking on the leccy stoves....those stoves aint up to much we had a little gas portable one for boiling a cuppa etc

Edit cross posted the calorifier only works well when the engines being worked properly ie blastiung around at sea the internal coils are small and at slow speed it don`t warm water....or at least it didn`t in the rinker Steve

Edited by JV44