dog bites

pooie4

Featured Posts

So there i am enjoying my cycle ride up the tow path from hanbury to stoke prior , coming back and just yards from the eagle and sun, a couple come along the path one lady with two large dogs and a man behind , as i pass them the dog nips the back of my leg pain ful!! he apologizes while she hurries off with the dogs , so i ask for his name and he doesn't want to give it so i manage to get his first name and phone no. He suggests i should not be on a tow path with a bike ! i suggest his dogs should have a muzzle and be under control, he then says you not reporting this are you well i don't know if it had been a child on a bike the dog would have been face level , and close to the water, so the question is am i ok riding on the towpath and do i report him...oh yes 2 hrs in A AND E getting tetnus....... thoughts.

Edited by pooie4

Got to agree with the others - the attitude of the owner speaks volumes, he/she should have been mortified, apologised profusely and not hesitated to give you their details. Any responsible dog owner would,

Years ago I had the miserable task of having to have a dog put down because he bit my wife - a serious bite, not just a nip - for no reason, twice, and the thought of it being a child next time was too awful to contemplate,

Dogs scrapping among themselves is one thing but a dog that will bite people, unless it's trained to like a Police dog, is a serious matter.

I'd report it to the Police and let them deal with it.

The fact the dogs were hurried away suggests to me this isn't the first time it has happened. Incidentally unless things have changed a lot the dog isn't always put down. Certainly the one which got me as a child wasn't.

Muzzled in public should suffice in this day and age.

The fact the dogs were hurried away suggests to me this isn't the first time it has happened. Incidentally unless things have changed a lot the dog isn't always put down. Certainly the one which got me as a child wasn't.

Muzzled in public should suffice in this day and age.

I seem to recall you are in your sixties??

I think things have changed since you were a child. A dog that has bitten once may not indeed be destroyed for a first offence but it may be for a subsequent bite..

That is why the OP should report this. This time no body has been seriously injured luckily. But future incidents may end up not so fortunate.

I'd be surprised a dog with two strikes on record would be allowed to live on.

The dog that bit my daughter on the face when she was three 27 years ago was destroyed but yes the owner arranged for this.

Sadly a dog could get put down because some ass hole of an owner has not trained the dog properly, not the dogs fault, I would put the dog in a rescue centre and put the owner down

Rant over

I appreciate that's a rant Nigel, but seriously suggesting that a biting dog should be sent to a rescue centre is a bit reckless.

The dog I had euthanised was a (mature) rescue dog and clearly no-one had taken ownership of the problem until we adopted him. It was a difficult decision but we decided we just didn't have the time, skill, resources etc to isolate him and try and address the issue, and safety was the main thing. We could have taken the easy way out and sent him back to become someone else's problem.

I do agree that 99% of the time it's the owners fault though, I've had five rescue dogs and they all came with baggage simply because of the way they had been "looked after".

I appreciate that's a rant Nigel, but seriously suggesting that a biting dog should be sent to a rescue centre is a bit reckless.

The dog I had euthanised was a (mature) rescue dog and clearly no-one had taken ownership of the problem until we adopted him. It was a difficult decision but we decided we just didn't have the time, skill, resources etc to isolate him and try and address the issue, and safety was the main thing. We could have taken the easy way out and sent him back to become someone else's problem.

I do agree that 99% of the time it's the owners fault though, I've had five rescue dogs and they all came with baggage simply because of the way they had been "looked after".

It was a rant Neil, we don't know the full story. And I know where your coming from.

i train patrol/protection dogs mainly as a hobby these days...no dog should bite without a command to bite.......1991 danderous dogs act......any dog in a public place that you find intimidating or threatening is deemed dangerous it doesnt have to bite you........there is always two sides to every story...the two hours in hospital wasnt neciserily due to the dog as you wernt up to date with your tetenus....you do have the right to use your bike on the tow path without the worry of being bitten....... 99% of the time its down to poor dog handling rather than the dog....if the dogs nippy i dont see why people dont muzzle there dogs it would save so much hasstle.........if you report it the dog will probably end up with an ASBO issued .....

Dog owner all my life, have fostered many some of whom stayed with us at present we have a crew of 2.

I would report the bite for all the reasons given in the above posts.

Phil

What he said. Report it. It may not be the first report if, as you say, the dogs were hustled away as quickly as possible. But report it anyway.

My friend was bitten and did not report it, she ask the owner to ensure it was muzzled in public--they did for about a month and then did not bother. It should be reported. My dads hand was desleeved by his own dog resulting in skin grafts as it went for the throat of another dog, we had to have her put down. Mum and dad had ignored the fact that she had bitten before. The vet said there were to many dangerous dogs about.

well the police didn't get back to me , so I hope they contacted him, I think the dog was one of those douge du flandres or somesuch kind of dog.. I'm sorry the owner was so defensive as I said to him ,I didn't want anything to happen to his dog but he was arrogant and a little self righteous , hope if we ever meet again I,m on a boat and not a bike:-)

Sadly a dog could get put down because some ass hole of an owner has not trained the dog properly, not the dogs fault, I would put the dog in a rescue centre and put the owner down

Rant over

Absolutely.

One of our friend's dogs does not have that much off lead time so gets very excited in the field behind our house and has tried to nip, more in the sense of come on run with me, absolutely no malice in the dog. Poor guy has been sat on big time for that and is reforming very rapidly. So if the owners realise there is a problem and do something about it then I take one view. In this case I am so very sad to write that judging from the way that the owners behaved I think you should file a report.

Were both dogs the same breed. I am moored up near there and see dog walkers every day. Which direction were they heading.

yes big furry hefty dogs I think , to be honest she was off round a corner so quick I couldn't tell they may have been douges du flandres . or something like that.going towards stoke prior!

Rant over

Not sure that I agree with putting the dog in a rescue centre because of the unknown factor. We fostered many dogs from a rescue centre and though the majority were OK now and again we got a rogue through the door and it is not funny to suddenly find you have a "Biter" in your home with other dogs that we were csring for.

Its unfair on the fosterers, unfair on the other dogs and grossly unfair on the "Biter" who should be in a secure facility for rehab if that's possible

Phil

Not sure that I agree with putting the dog in a rescue centre because of the unknown factor. We fostered many dogs from a rescue centre and though the majority were OK now and again we got a rogue through the door and it is not funny to suddenly find you have a "Biter" in your home with other dogs that we were csring for.

Its unfair on the fosterers, unfair on the other dogs and grossly unfair on the "Biter" who should be in a secure facility for rehab if that's possible

Phil

Can you ever be really sure that you have "rehab'd" a biter? I'm not sure. My parents always had dogs from pups which were fine and could be trained ok. My Aunt took on a dog which had to be rehomed for being jealous of a new baby (which it did bite) when it thought IT was the baby - and after being OK for some months it began to get jealous of, and nip, anyone and everyone who seemed to be fond of or loved by my Aunt. It was re- re - homed eventually and I don't think that was a good plan. Unless it went to a sort of hermit where the poor dog felt totally secure.

And it had a nasty habit - she used to pick it up if she thought it was about to "nip" - of directing a stream if pee straight at the person it was about to bite!