Buying wife a bike for Christmas!

Featured Posts

hi.

I am thinking of doing the above. Last Minute Martyn is the name.

she is not the greatest of bicycleists in the qorld and is quite stubborn when needing to change her mind.

Here's the score. She, Margaret, likes the old dutch style bike c/w basket. No problem. now those bikes have road tyres. i would like to put chunkier tyres on to allow use on the tow paths of Britain so she can go shopping, and not forgetting my beer. I surprise myself sometimes as to how thoughtful I can be.

is it possible to change the tyres? Would road tyres cope with the tow paths (where they are rideable)?

I will supply a bell so she can warn of her approach at 1 MPH.

trust this is not a stupid question.

Martyn

hi.

I am thinking of doing the above. Last Minute Martyn is the name.

she is not the greatest of bicycleists in the qorld and is quite stubborn when needing to change her mind.

Here's the score. She, Margaret, likes the old dutch style bike c/w basket. No problem. now those bikes have road tyres. i would like to put chunkier tyres on to allow use on the tow paths of Britain so she can go shopping, and not forgetting my beer. I surprise myself sometimes as to how thoughtful I can be.

is it possible to change the tyres? Would road tyres cope with the tow paths (where they are rideable)?

I will supply a bell so she can warn of her approach at 1 MPH.

trust this is not a stupid question.

Martyn

I good hybrid bike should have tyres suitable for riding on the road and riding on the tow path.

One of her biggest potential problem on the tow path is punctures so some good quality puncture resistant tyres/tubes would be good too.

Have you got the room to store a full size bike on the boat.?

Full sized folders can be had.

I found a small wheeled folder hard work on some of our local towpaths.

Thanks Martin.

We have a bike rack on the stern. So will use that. I have a mountain bike for me, Margaret doesn't want anything betweenher legs!!!!!! like a crossbar. even a female crossbar.

Martyn

'Ladies' hybrid bikes with 'step through' frames can be had. Depending on budget a couple of examples.

http://www.ridedirectcycle.co.uk/bikes-c1/commuter-urban-bikes-c95/hybrid-city-bikes-c97/barracuda-h700-womens-hybrid-bike-p449?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=barracuda-h700-womens-hybrid-bike-frame-size-17-quot-frame-size-17-bar1310&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=barracuda-h700-womens-hybrid-bike-frame-size-17-quot-frame-size-17-bar1310&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=COOU8oeSv7sCFQgOwwodsjsA1w#1345

http://direct.asda.com/Reflex-Costwold-Womens-Bike---700c-Wheels/000969028,default,pd.html&cmpid=ppc-_-ad-pla-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000969028&cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000969028&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=xwtqxwiiw&istBid=tztx

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Spirit-Womens-2013-Hybrid-Classic-Bike_61714.htm

This Claud Butler Lakeside is the ladies version of mine. I use it primarily just on the tarmac and know I would need better tyres more suited to the towpath if I was to ride it on there.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/claud-butler-lakeside-ladies-hybrid-bike-id78652.html

Much more expensive ones can be had of course up to four figures if you are feeling generous or want one made in the UK rather than China.

Don't worry too much about the tyres initially - they are easily, very easily in fact changed. Any good cycle shop will normally be happy to advise as long as you buy the tyres from them even if you haven't bought the bike from them.

Edited by The Dog House

Good links thank you.

Budget is a little tight, as is my pocket.

And I'm from the right side of the Pennines.

Martyn

Perhaps our colleague NB Alnwick could advise, Martyn: he's the Bicycle Repair Man and moored not three miles from your goodselves.

But,but I am 120 miles away. Mind you for Father Christmas, distance is not a concern.

Didn't think of Graham.

Martyn

I can recommend Schwalbe tyres for puncture resistance. At one time I was regularly cycling the 13 miles to work and 13 back. In one week I'd had 17 punctures (mainly caused by flints and broken glass) so I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres. I found them a bit awkward to centre on the rim, but once fitted properly, there were no more punctures. The goop you put in inner tubes is also good, but, when you eventually get a puncture it can't cope with you will need a new tyre as well as tube.

Rob

The tyre diameter won't be a problem (i.e. 26" or 700C) but the "width" might be. Not all frames will accept bigger tyres than the ones they came with and still fit mudguards. My road bikes are 700C * 23mm - I can't get a 28 in there since the frame it too tight.

There was a good "traditional" bike that decathlon were selling a while ago, it got a good write up in the CTC (cyclist touring club) magazine and is reasonably priced.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-5-women-city-bike-id_8202827.html

Alternatively there's the Pashley - hand built in Stratford on Avon. These are expensive...

http://www.pashley.co.uk/

As an alternative all rounder what about a proper touring bike like a Dawes Galaxy (I love mine). Not cheap new but there are some good second hand ones round. These are a real mongrel, and are good at everything - a real hybrid.

I would second p6rob's comments about the Schwalbe Marathons. Got them on my fixed wheel winter commuter. Lots of grip, puncture resistance, and reflective side walls. They can be a bit tight on some Mavic rims but worth the effort.

Edited by Chalky

I can recommend Schwalbe tyres for puncture resistance. At one time I was regularly cycling the 13 miles to work and 13 back. In one week I'd had 17 punctures (mainly caused by flints and broken glass) so I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres. I found them a bit awkward to centre on the rim, but once fitted properly, there were no more punctures. The goop you put in inner tubes is also good, but, when you eventually get a puncture it can't cope with you will need a new tyre as well as tube.

Rob

Interesting. BUT, I have to say, thorns are what gets my tyres every time. I saw a cross section sample of the Schwalbe Marathon tyre in my local bike shop and I pushed a thumb tack (god, I know too many Americans!) straight through it with ease so I was highly not impressed.

It doesn't seem a hard problem to fix but no-one seems to have nailed it yet.

(Pun intended...)

MtB

You can get tyres that are knobbly like a mountain bike but with a raised central strip. This makes them much easier to ride on the road while the knobbly bits still give good grip when mud-plugging. Never really had a problem with punctures as long as you avoid places when they have just been flail hedge trimming. That can be just as bad on the road as on the towpath. You can get sealing sludge in a small aerosol can which can be useful.

I have to say I have never had huge success with either the tyres that have an inbuilt puncture band or with the separate bands you can insert inside a normal tyre. They are both better than nowt, but not in my experience hugely so. (Perhaps I should have tried both together - I'm not sure if I ever did...)

I find hawthorn to be the worst killer on tow paths, and have seen hawthorn spikes go through either just like an unprotected tyre.

I never found a solution, other than being vigilant about where hedge cutting had recently been done, and then getting off and carrying the bike until past it.

I've used armadillo tyres on mine after having a bout with punctured tyres (once a week for a whole month!). After getting these tires, I've had no problems! The ride will be a bit bumpy, however, since these tyres are very stiff.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/trainingall-season-road-tires/all-condition-armadillo

Just remember the basic rules of buying anything for a woman: get the right size, right colour and don't get a bike with any itchy nylon on it (rule 3 may only apply to underwear) I'm not sure. Oh and keep the reciept so she can change it later.

K

I've used armadillo tyres on mine after having a bout with punctured tyres (once a week for a whole month!). After getting these tires, I've had no problems! The ride will be a bit bumpy, however, since these tyres are very stiff.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/trainingall-season-road-tires/all-condition-armadillo

If only they did a knobbly version. Smoothies like that are a bloody disaster for muddy towpath riding. I know from experience.

MtB

• 5 weeks later...

Slime to put in your tyres. It doesnt stop you getting punctures (bloody hawthorns) but it will stop them from going down so quick. More importantly you can just pump it up again without having to remove the tyre & fix the punture on the towpath.
My best to date is 17 puntures in 1 ride Northampton to Blisworth tunnel.
Eventually you will get enough slow leaks from all these thorns in your tyres that you will need to remove them & patch all the places.
Also you can only put this stuff in tyres that have car valves.

Slime to put in your tyres. It doesnt stop you getting punctures (bloody hawthorns) but it will stop them from going down so quick. More importantly you can just pump it up again without having to remove the tyre & fix the punture on the towpath.

My best to date is 17 puntures in 1 ride Northampton to Blisworth tunnel.

Eventually you will get enough slow leaks from all these thorns in your tyres that you will need to remove them & patch all the places.

I have had some considerable success with those puncture-resisting 'kevlar' tyre liners. Oddly, they just aren't wide enough to fully protect a knobbly tyre and the few punctures I've had since using them, have all been where the thorn has missed the liner rather than penetrated it.

MtB

Halfords used to do a tube with presta valves (road bike standard) that had a slime type material in them. They had 2 significant problems.

1 - the "slime" uses to gum up the valves and you had to use pliers to undo them. Often this would unscrew the valve core as well...

2 - the slime would gather at the bottom of the wheel when the bike was stopped. As a percentage of the volume / mass the slime was more significant on a road wheel than a mountain bike the wheel would be unbalanced until you'd cycled far enough to re-distribute it. The vibration could be "interesting".

Probably not!

Two reasons.

We have not visited the boat this side of gift giving day, and she didn't get one!

That's another story. She 'will' get one, she will she will, by hook or by crook, she will get one.

How do you teach a Staffie to ride a bike?

Martyn

Edit. Thought I ought to add that I don't actually think Margaret is like a Staffie. The Staffie I refer to is a dog. What I mean by that is George is the Staffie and he is our pet dog.

Phew!

Edited by Nightwatch

Rob

I've done 1500 miles on schwable marathon plus tyres with no punctures! Amazing tyres and those 1500 miles are not all on roads.

Edited by NickF