Is this boat a good buy?

Belle

Featured Posts

I agree with this, but the surprise you'll get is they'll refuse to pass your offer on to the vendor.

They are very protective about prices and use a formula of £x per foot, adjusted slightly to reflect the boat age. When I made a 'silly offer' (£40k on a £47k boat IIRC), I was surprised to find the saleman in the office reached for his calculator, dabbed in some figures, and announcde that's only £x per foot, a 1993 boat is worth more than that.

After which he dug his heels in and refused to pass my offer on to the owner or engage with me in any way. The git. I'm still annoyed. Can you tell?

MtB

Haha. I agree they do have a strange way of calculating their prices. A lot of what we saw at the weekend should be priced by scrap value less the cost hauling it out.

I made an offer on a private sale last year and the guy told me to get off his boat. It is still for sale now at a price below what I offered. Too late I am afraid.

re: Paddington Bear -

Heat exchanger ("raw water") cooling works well IF and only IF a decent sized mud box is designed in. Mine is about 8" square with two chambers. It's only got blocked twice in our 14 years of cruising.

The advantages are:-

Cooler engine compartment

Near silent engine

You don't get burnt on your elbow when going down the weed hatch

For others Beta don't only do skin tank cooled models - they'll do both. They probably sell more engines for yachts / river cruiser than for NBs. The water cooled manifold improves the noise issue slightly, but you still have to get rid of hot gasses...

Ours must be rubbish thenfrusty.gif

If I had the money and I wanted a 62' boat this is the sort of thing I'd be looking at.

http://www.abnbboats.co.uk/files/2440abnb.pdf

Each to their own but I really dont like that, even for a narrowboat.

We bought a boat from Whilton this year. PM me if you want to discuss. You may need to post another couple of messages before you can PM though.

Chris

How many posts do I need to do a PM?

I clicked on a link for the forum rules but it just took me to forum home page.

Thanks

Looking at the boat she is sitting very low in the water at the stern. This is not uncommon with Jonathan Wilson boats a lot of them seem to be tail heavy but with a 15mm baseplate you may not be able to do anything about it. I see lots of boats in this price range with their counters deep in the water - if I was spending that sort of money I would want the boat to be trimmed properly.

Well there is only on external picture I can see, and its a bit hard to tell, but it doesn't look that way to me.

It looks fairly normal, I'd have thought, particularly if it happened to be the case that a water tank in the front is actually pretty empty.

May I ask, well I will anyway but you don't need to answer. Is the vendor 'private'?

You seem to have all things under control, as you should. I guess it's not all doom and gloom in the brokerage world. They do get some good boats going through.

Martyn

May I ask, well I will anyway but you don't need to answer. Is the vendor 'private'?

You seem to have all things under control, as you should. I guess it's not all doom and gloom in the brokerage world. They do get some good boats going through.

Martyn

PM reply, cheers

Each to their own but I really dont like that, even for a narrowboat.

Must be a contender for the Hideous Pram Hood Of The Year Award.

That's from the outside. I suppose from the inside the HPH gives extra covered space with good headroom.