Tat stuff possessions , how much do we really need?

madcat

Featured Posts

I remember when my whole life fitted into a VW van Now I seem to be drowning in possessions. It's all usefull stuff but there's a lot of it.

It seems that each craft or hobby comes with its attendant stash of stuff.

I often wonder why we let our lives get so silted up with inanimate objects.

Anybody else wrestling with the deadly tat monster?

Two lock-up garages, two 20' x 15' sheds, One 15' x 10' workshop and two 10' x 8' outhouses.Of course I don't have a problem (and I'm not posting here to distract me from the fact that the auction has just started and I'M NOT THERE...at all)

Hi ya Carlt,haven't seen you about recently,have you been locked in one of your Garages !.have you really got that much stuff ?.

Hi Madcat ,

Yes Stuff,I have a very cleansing experience roughly every 3 mth or so, ( it co insides with my showering regimes) when I go through the lockers,,cupboards,under the bed ect,,inspect,wipe them down & Chuck stuff out, Yes ime a chucker,hate having stuff around that either doesn work or I don't use often .I just haven't got the space on board to store rubbish.

My Cider has to go somewhere !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi ya Carlt,haven't seen you about recently,have you been locked in one of your Garages !.have you really got that much stuff ?.

Sat here in my living room I have 12 sewing machines, two knitting machines, two table looms, two inkle looms and a tapestry loom.

Yes I have that much stuff.

I don't usually have so many sewing machines in the house at once but at the moment I'm making lots of small identical items which gives me a chance to set up the machines before selling them on.

Sat here in my living room I have 12 sewing machines, two knitting machines, two table looms, two inkle looms and a tapestry loom.

Yes I have that much stuff.

I don't usually have so many sewing machines in the house at once but at the moment I'm making lots of small identical items which gives me a chance to set up the machines before selling them on.

We'll,

I've heard of 'a stitch in time saves 9' but I think you're hedging your bets !.

Ime intrigued !.

Buy the way Madcat, yes it backfires on me occasionally,when I need something 2wks after I know I throw it out,

But I rationalize that by saying its better than having it tucked away somewhere and not being able to find it. It saves time looking

!. Oh I love my simple mind.

I went down the shed store and ordered 4 proper heavy sheds and dotted them around the garden...... I could still do with more.

We'll i think thats more a practical tactic,it saves cutting the grass. Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I remember when my whole life fitted into a VW van Now I seem to be drowning in possessions. It's all usefull stuff but there's a lot of it.

It seems that each craft or hobby comes with its attendant stash of stuff.

I often wonder why we let our lives get so silted up with inanimate objects.

Anybody else wrestling with the deadly tat monster?

Nope! My entire life's possessions fit into/onto my 30ft cruiser stern, and that's with nothing on the roof but solar panels and a life ring, oh and the obligatory brush, mop and cat-catching net.

Internally, I have the storage space under the sofa completely empty, and if I could be arsed to spend the time re-jigging stuff, I am sure I could empty an additional cupboard too.

I don't do "stuff."

We'll,

I've heard of 'a stitch in time saves 9' but I think you're hedging your bets !.

Ime intrigued !.

I make, restore and repair textile equipment as well as using them.

I have 3 sewing machines and 4 looms that are "mine" (though everything is for sale at the right price) and one knitting machine.

I also have a couple of pet projects that I will probably keep.

The rest are just passing through.

Only if you let them.

I have nothing I cannot afford to lose and am well aware that it is only "stuff".

Can I have your smart phone then?

Thinking about it (very dangerous this time of night), we don't actually 'own' anything. We come into the world with nothing and go out with nothing. We just do things, make things and think we control things (including people sometimes).

One of the advantages of modern life is that stuff that was once so expensive is now cheap to replace. You dont need to hoard old stuff, just chuck it out and buy a new one when you need it. A friend had a rule if you havent used something in a year then throw it away.

One of the advantages of modern life is that stuff that was once so expensive is now cheap to replace. You dont need to hoard old stuff, just chuck it out and buy a new one when you need it. A friend had a rule if you havent used something in a year then throw it away.

Am I your friend?

Phil

We have a cull of "items" every few months or so. More so on the boat where we dont have loads of space. If it has not been used it gets taken home. If it has not been used in a few months at home then it gets given away, sent to a charity shop, recycled or as a last resort thrown away.

I hate clutter. We have a few items which have been in Liam's family a while which were passed down to him that have escaped the culls but if I had my way they would be auctioned off. Who needs a silver tea service in this day and age? It justs sits in a cupboard gathering dust. It isnt even something that would look right on display in our houseangry.png

I think some of the problems some of us have is that we say "I may need that someday" so we keep it around. If we have a sock with a hole, I keep it for dusting..soon I have 10 socks for dusting. If you keep a nice lawn you buy a lawn mower, then you need an edger, then some fertilizer, then various yard tools...now you need a shed to keep them in. Everything can snowball from one item.

My thing is plants. I like them and collect them. Soon my house will be full, but not yet. Fabric can be an issue too if you sew or quilt. You never know when that color fabric will work and where could you ever find it again? I tried to find the perfect pillow because without one, I don't sleep well....I now have about 7 (small, medium, and king sized) and only one really works for me because I only have one head. I love sheets and blankets...I have more bed linen than there are beds on my block.

If you can separate a need from a want, then you have a chance. If you cannot...then make some space for the next shed in the garden. help.gif

I'm a 'stuff' nazi. I'm very strict with not collecting tat. I think it comes from a forces life, needing to be able to pack your whole life into a couple of bags when they tell you you're posted somewhere new.

I have a one in/one out rule on my boat which goes for clothes/charity shop purchases, pretty much everything to be honest. When I get the obligatory 4 pack of socks for xmas, before I unpack them 4 old pairs of socks will go in the bin.

My 4 sheds (Arthur "2 Sheds" Jackson) I like to think are useful - and are not for storage but use.

1 = Workshop eg fettling things for boat

2 = Seeds, potting, trays to help growing things in garden - like food

3) Garden tools

4) Garden furniture, hammocks, chairs, sunbeds as we virtually live outside when it's warm and not cruising

Edited by mark99

2 = Seeds, potting, trays to help growing things in garden - like food

3) Garden tools

I don't do gardening though if told to "dig there!" I will start digging until told to stop.

I have been taught over the years that a garden is more than just the next bit to concrete before building another shed on it and have given up the outside khazi for OH to store her gardening tools.

I'm a 'stuff' nazi. I'm very strict with not collecting tat. I think it comes from a forces life, needing to be able to pack your whole life into a couple of bags when they tell you you're posted somewhere new.

I have a one in/one out rule on my boat which goes for clothes/charity shop purchases, pretty much everything to be honest. When I get the obligatory 4 pack of socks for xmas, before I unpack them 4 old pairs of socks will go in the bin.

Yep,snap.

Although in my case its probably only 3 1/2 pair of socks out,as the Bilge monster often steals one & squirrels it away somewhere !.

Concerned about your inability to prevent yourself from being owed by it I must say "No".

With your best interests at heart of course.

since i am unburdened with bassplayers ''inability's'' can i have it instead?

Bassplayer,if your bass is getting all posessive and owning your ass then i will take it off your hands and teach it some manners.biggrin.png paul