Supermarket deliveries

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

When we are out on the boat, we seem to spend a certain amount of time planning for our next shopping expedition to the supermarket. We know that Tesco, ASDA and Morrisons all do 'home' deliveries. We have heard of ASDA doing deliveries to known locations such as canal bridges and moorings with road access.

We would do our own expeditions if the supermarket is within striking distance. However, we would also be interested to hear of your experiences using any of the supermarket chains that do deliveries to your boat. Estimates of the quality of service, delivery charges, any particular limitations, any special conditions, wrong items delivered, unfulfilled orders and ease of ordering etc..

I use either asda or Tesco occasionally, never been a problem. The driver has even rang to ask if they could deliver ahead of the time slot, and they do seem to be able to read, unlike certain couriers!

My elderly neighbour uses them all the time and also has had no problems. If you do not specify that you do not want a substitute, you can sometimes not get what you want, but it will be returned and your money refunded.

You do need to order a day or so before you need things and obviously you don't get any "bargains".

Not tried out of the marina yet.

Not strictly true about bargains,we get plenty of BOGOF's usually save a fiver a week, you just need to look at "rest of shelf" that reminds me I can book our Xmas delivery slot tomorrow. Not been near a supermarket for 3 or 4 years

Phil

I was referring to the reduced shelf!

Well Ocado have recently contracted to do Morrison's deliveries. But not round here :(

Apparently the Waitrose mob were not happy as they felt that it 'devalued' their brand.

Can't speak with personal knowledge about having stuff delivered to a boat but we have used both Saintsbury's and Asda's home delivery service and in our experience the one with the worse record of having to supply substitute items was Asda, they once substituted pork chops for chicken breasts which I never understood.

I have tried Asda/Tesco and Sainsbury at home. I had such a lot of trouble with Tesco not delivering items and I found Asda vegetables were going off so quickly.

I have never had a problem with Sainsbury. They have always delivered on time and items as ordered.

Now on the boat, I have not yet tried the delivery service but I have seen Ocado and Asda delivering to other boats here in the marina

I was referring to the reduced shelf!

Well, not always true....

I ordered a pack of chicken thighs and the driver brought to my attention that they were short dated. As I had intended them to be used for a mid week meal I told him I didn't want them. He happily removed them from my bill but as he was leaving I reminded him he hadn't taken the chicken.

Hr replied that if he returned them to the store it would be too late to return them to the shelf for resale so he was allowed to leave them with the customer in such circumstances.

We had a chicken curry in the freezer by the next day!

Apparently the Waitrose mob were not happy as they felt that it 'devalued' their brand.

Can't speak with personal knowledge about having stuff delivered to a boat but we have used both Saintsbury's and Asda's home delivery service and in our experience the one with the worse record of having to supply substitute items was Asda, they once substituted pork chops for chicken breasts which I never understood.

How bazaar!!

Why would anyone think it ok to substitute a rib with a breast?? :)

B~

How bazaar!!

Why would anyone think it ok to substitute a rib with a breast?? :)

B~

Yes the order pickers do make the odd cock up which makes you wonder, we recently ordered mixed herbs and they substituted Parsley but it does work the other way, we order 3/4kg of Gammon and got 1.5kg for same price. Also ordered Fillet steak and got Sirloin, rang to complain and ended up witha full refund. Free steak....yum-yum

Phil

We've always had good results from Ocado. On the very odd occasion something's gone wrong (broken jar once, crushed loaf a couple of times) they've refunded straight away. And they send you a voucher for your next order if the branded stuff cost more than Tesco.

ETA … and the drivers are always cheery souls.

Edited by BruceinSanity

All this country needs is for Waitrose/John Lewis to start running the banks and the phone companies.

Beats me why the crooks who run these businesses don't realise that it is possible to be honest and profitable at the same time. As W/JL demonstrate daily.

Edited by George94