Road haulage firm for Widebeam move?

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Looking to get quotes from Road haulage firms to move a 57 x 10'10" Widebeam, 22 ton, from Chorley to Braunston.

I've done a search on Google to find firms, but looking for advice / experiences here as to which firms others have used in the past and would recommend to others.

Also, do the haulage firms arrange the crane out / in at each end as part of the service; or is that something I will need to organize with the two locations?

(I've been told; rightly or wrongly doesn't really matter, that there is a way we could cruise to the K&A from Chorley, but would involve an Estuary which being novices, is of no interest to us at this point in time)

Ta

B~

Hi All,

Looking to get quotes from Road haulage firms to move a 57 x 10'10" Widebeam, 22 ton, from Chorley to Braunston.

I've done a search on Google to find firms, but looking for advice / experiences here as to which firms others have used in the past and would recommend to others.

Also, do the haulage firms arrange the crane out / in at each end as part of the service; or is that something I will need to organize with the two locations?

(I've been told; rightly or wrongly doesn't really matter, that there is a way we could cruise to the K&A from Chorley, but would involve an Estuary which being novices, is of no interest to us at this point in time)

Ta

B~

Try Ray Bowerne of Streethay wharf near Lichfield.

Ooo exciting times for you,,

Don't want to state the obvious,,but have you already got a Marina launch site sorted,as some may have a Crain,do you know the weight ect,is a mooring sorted for your wide beam ?.

Or are you a CCr ?.I don't know if you are familiar with the K&A, its beautiful,,it also opens up possibly Avonmouth or Portishead, right around to Maidstone and anywhere inbetween (Southend/ Faversham ) or beyond if boat & crew are capable as a cruising ground.,I hope you enjoy it. & hope to see you around,as ime heading back that sort of way, at some point.

Good luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Use the straddle crane at Liverpool marina. We hired Beck and Pollizer but our wide beam was 62x13.5 and 40 tonnes The wharf we used at Worcester is now a posh housing estate. Could not find anything suitable near Braunston. Look on the Thames lower reaches

If its after the winter stoppages, you could try Willowbridge Marina to the south of Milton Keynes, and then have a gentle cruise up to Braunston as a learning curve. The only thing that might be a problem is weight. I know they lift wide and narrow boats with their own crane, but you'd have to check the 22 ton bit!

It would involve either going round the Welsh Coast from Liverpool to Bristol or around the coast of East Anglia from Boston to London. When I bought Ripple in 2006 (sold in 2011) I decided against a northern based wide-beam (and ultimately didn't get a wide beam at all) because of this.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the suggestions so far.cheers.gif

I was thinking Braunston to put her back in the water as we currently live in Coventry and will make it a short and easy trip to get our belongings onto the boat when it arrives. Spoke to a gentleman at Braunston late Friday afternoon and he said it was possible to put an 11' WB back in the water at their facility, but I would need to call back on Monday to speak to the person who is most knowledgeable in that area.

Once our "stuff" is onboard we will indeed be CCers and the plan is over the course of the winter to make our way down to the K&A cruising in accordance with the planned stoppages, we are in no rush and appreciate that stops are maxed out at 14 days; again not a problem with our plans (as long as we don't get froze in somewhere, in which case I know we will need to contact CaRT). We don't have any type of mooring, are not planning to be bridge hoppers, and the plan is we will cruise the entire southern network, or the parts that can take an 11' boat safely anyway. From Bristol to Reading and up to Warwick - the idea is we cruise as much as possible this winter so when you kind folks, who aren't CCers make you way back to the canals in the spring, and see us give a wave, it will be in greeting rather than sheer panic biggrin.png

Reason we are thinking of starting the haul from Chorley is simply due to the fact the boat is being pulled out this Friday (paid for by current owner) for reblacking and full pre purchase survey on the 10th. I didn't see the sense of then arranging for a crane to put her back in at Chorley so we could cruise her further south to be pulled back out again for the road haul to the GU. Does that make sense unsure.png

Again, as always thanks for you thoughts and advice - muchly appreciated clapping.gif

B~

If Calcutt can do it, it would be cheaper than hiring a crane to come to Braunston to put it in

Thanks Ditchcrawler - I will check out that option on Monday

& when is this all starting,,have you got any pics of boat,,

It looks like you got it all planned,,

Don't forget to add C,W,D,F to your cruising tool box & wrap up warm.

C ya,

Well the offer we made has been accepted based on a good pre-purchase survey. Survey is booked for the 10th, Insurance is all lined up, will need to finish packing up the house, sell/give away shed loads of stuff, get both pass ports sorted out before we become homeless and get 2 cats tagged. Oh and get the CaRT license of course. I'm still "hoping" we might be on in time for Christmas - or am I living in a dream world??

Pics to follow.

BTW - what's C.W.D.F??? and wrap up warm??? I thought you lot said it didn't get cold on boats with MF stoves in the winter !!! :)

Ta

B~

Another vote for ray. He will arrange a crane for you as well if you need.

Brilliant will give him a ring on Monday as well cheers.gif

B~

here's a few pics of her :)

preview_169151.jpg?1385330019

preview_148397_1.jpg

preview_148397_3.jpg

preview_148397_4.jpg

preview_54734.jpg

preview_54722.jpg