Aerial - but which make is best

Mike J.E.W

Featured Posts

The ariel I have is passed its best and time to replace it

But with what I have not been happy with the current one, came with the boat, type unknown

Have used a omnimax in the past with good results are they still amy good ???

Yes they are still as good as ever.

If you are in a very weak signal area they won't do as well as a directional aerial, but they will work in most areas and of course you don't have to point them - you can even use them while you are travelling if the crew want to watch something (or you can record something to watch after you've stopped)

Have you thought about going with Freesat since you're replacing the aerial anyway? Sometimes, when out on the system, we find the aerial doesn't pick up well whereas the the satellite dish is triffik. Does mean the box as well but the whole kit seems to come up on the For Sale boards every now and then. For instance, Meggers had one for sale two days ago (sold now though).

We use an Omnimax to good effect, though agree that they can be a bit poor in weak signal areas, were we tend to use a portable high gain aerial on a pole (few quid off ebay.) I usually cable tie the pole to the tiller (using reusable cable ties; very useful things.)

Yes they are still as good as ever.

If you are in a very weak signal area they won't do as well as a directional aerial, but they will work in most areas and of course you don't have to point them - you can even use them while you are travelling if the crew want to watch something (or you can record something to watch after you've stopped)

Agreed, we've now been using one for 9 months, there was one area on an occasion we had an intermittent signal once but other than that we've had a perfect picture and never have to adjust it.

As we move around though we seem to get more stations in some locations than others, and vice versa of course. I'n not sure if this id due to signal strength or just availability.

Due to the recommendation of a Very good and clever friend, I now have a one for all flat digital Ariel. Picks up over 130 channels, so loads of crap to watch!

icecream.gif tankies moi curtseys and smiles with clever cloggness ;)

by the way it worked perfectly in the caravan with oddles of channels and in the boat moi can still get 32 channels ( cannot be bothered to rush around one end of the baot to tother with it lol, plus advantage its very neat and not bulky or owt quite slim and can be folded up easy peasy :)

Is any body going to answer this poor guys query about Ariels (Spell checked - oriels)

I have always used a standard (short) domestic aerial and I'm very happy with it. The down side is where to store it during the day.

Alex

Personally I don't rate the Omnimax or any other omni directional type. So we too use a domestic type aerial but we have a good quality 'log periodic' type bought from here -

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html

I have had expensive aerials that was not really that good at picking up signals then we just bought a cheap five pound one, mounted it on some old wood pole and it has never let us down, three years now

Sounds good where did you get it from?

Any links?

Could save people a few bob.