Boat Handling Sticky

JDR

Featured Posts

I've noticed a lot of posts in different sections where people are asking for help before their first trip or have some experience but aren't confident singlehanding. Howabout a section at the top of boat handling describing the basics of boat handling for people starting out? Maybe another one for single handed boating as they both seem to be recurring questions.

I'm not so sure that stickies are all that effective. It implies that there is only one way of doing it. None of us would agree anyway:) in fact why not start a thread called 'this is how to steer a boat' it'll stay at the top longer than a sticky! :)

My concern is single handed boating, I am quite small--just over 5ft and do have problems working out what the far distant pointy end is up to on a 57ft boat any advice from those of similar stature welcome--and u tall giants try driving kneeling down, give you an idea of wot its like. Being told by a 6ft odd guy that its a piece of cake didn't quite fill me with confidence

I use the tiller, mostly. And sometime the long stick, especially when going backwards :)

MtB

My concern is single handed boating, I am quite small--just over 5ft and do have problems working out what the far distant pointy end is up to on a 57ft boat any advice from those of similar stature welcome--and u tall giants try driving kneeling down, give you an idea of wot its like. Being told by a 6ft odd guy that its a piece of cake didn't quite fill me with confidence

Stand on a box...

Hope that helps :)

MtB

Ah Tiller that's the name of that sticky outy thingy that goes the opposite way to where I am aiming forboat.gif Only have a very small car but did drive dads combine...once!. Practice no doubt may make perfect, patience all, warning lights will be in situ.

Well male of the species have informed me that us females don't have a clue re spatial awareness its a man thing like the offside rule or navigating. Apparently its why my car gets a few scratches from time to time, its not that hedges come to close to me.........help.gif So developing this feel to steering may just take me a bit longer. However the guy whose fitting out my boat cheerfully advised me that after a day crashing about the canals I will have the knack of a bigger boat I will warn folks when that day looms.

Have a raised platform to stand on. I saw a cruiser stern boat that had what looked like an old solid kitchen table with the legs cut doen to about a foot long for the steerer to stand on.

Take all the crap off the roof of the boat including planters full of flowers and top boxes.

If its a trad boat get someone to make you a steerers step that fits securely inside the slide to stand on.

Not all boats are the same - some have a low deck-roof height, others more. Try before you buy if you're short, it will make a big difference to the enjoyment of your boat.

About boat handling - its the kind of thing done from experience, not from reading posts on an internet forum although once you have the knack, there's little tips etc which you can pick up from a forum to try out etc.

Thanks for advice, I am having cruiser style but intend having a crows nest--ok slight exaggeration, it will be a small step of sorts.

When stood on this step make sure your arms are long enough to reach the stick tiller. wink.png

Saw a boat the other day, steerer stood on 'step' on cruiser stern but bent double to reach the tiller wacko.png

Never really have to duck I can walk "tall" through doorways etc, some advantages to being small--not VAT on childrens clothes! I will ensure I am able to reach tiller and have secure safe step, forward planning is the key and with bossy teacher for daughter I am convinced that there will be supervision by she who knows all. Love the forums and I learn so much. Thanks to allcheers.gif

When stood on this step make sure your arms are long enough to reach the stick tiller. wink.png

Saw a boat the other day, steerer stood on 'step' on cruiser stern but bent double to reach the tiller wacko.png

Saw one today balanced on one of those plastic steps