Wanted: An article in Waterways World Circa 1975/6/7

pinkoi

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the history forum or the wanted forum - mods, please move it if I have got it wrong.

When we purchased our most recent boat we were told by the previous owners that when our boat and it's identical twin were launched there was a write up in waterways world about it. This was probably around 1975/6 or 7.

I have tried searching the Waterways World article online archive - However the only on reference to our boat's name from around that time is not the correct one - I brought a 2nd hand copy from ebay to check. It seems like they probably don't have everything on there from that far back.

In the past forum folks have been very helpful in me searching out info from their archives for info on my last boat Rowan - I was wondering if anyone still has an archive of WW from around that time that they would be willing to check to see if they can find this article? Then I would at least know what issue I need to get my hands on.

Please PM me if you are able to help and I can give you the details of what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Are you able to give some more details about what the article without it being via PM?

I know there are loads of forum members who have old issues and would happily have a flick through a few issues to see if they have what you are looking for.

Perhaps even the details of the builder or the names of the boats would help?

Are you able to give some more details about what the article without it being via PM?

I know there are loads of forum members who have old issues and would happily have a flick through a few issues to see if they have what you are looking for.

Perhaps even the details of the builder or the names of the boats would help?

Sure :) - I wasn't sure what was most appropriate. I guess it makes more sense than me repeating myself in PMs!

This is the info I have been told:

Both boats were 70ft built by Les Allen and then fitted out by Harborough Marine and Launched in Loughborough Basin (If the last owners memory serves her correctly).

They were built to be liveaboards (I guess this was rather unusual at the time).

One boat, the one we now own is called "Hercules" and we think the sister boat is called "Clytie" (Someone recently confirmed that they thought this was correct as they remembered them when they were new).

I'm don't know exactly when she was built, one lot of our documents say 1975, some say 76 and I'm guessing it could have been up to year after the shell was built that they were launched, once they had been fitted out.

I do like a good mystery

cheers.gif

I am sorry I can't help you (the few old mags I have are 80's)

I think this would be best in History & Heritage. After all the boats are now approaching 40 years old and being a quality builder of the day they are likely to be ones that are looked after and kept going for years to come.

Hopefully someone with some old mags will spot ths soon but if they don't I would suggest you get a mod to move it to the History & Heritage section.

Good luck with your hunt for info

Sure smile.png - I wasn't sure what was most appropriate. I guess it makes more sense than me repeating myself in PMs!

This is the info I have been told:

Both boats were 70ft built by Les Allen and then fitted out by Harborough Marine and Launched in Loughborough Basin (If the last owners memory serves her correctly).

They were built to be liveaboards (I guess this was rather unusual at the time).

One boat, the one we now own is called "Hercules" and we think the sister boat is called "Clytie" (Someone recently confirmed that they thought this was correct as they remembered them when they were new).

I'm don't know exactly when she was built, one lot of our documents say 1975, some say 76 and I'm guessing it could have been up to year after the shell was built that they were launched, once they had been fitted out.

I do like a good mystery

cheers.gif

From Jim Shead's listing it looks like this one of the two named Clytie on that list:

CLYTIE Built by LES ALLEN & CO - Length 21.33 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 18 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 60288 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 22-May-2013.

Roger

"Clytie" is a very well known boat, owned by a member of a family that are also very active in the world of old working boats.

I don't think the owner is a member on here, though

EDITED TO ADD:

Detailed on the Allens register, though the attached picture is too small to do it justice.

Picture from Flickr [picture Hazel Isles]

5905039446_6133b0d58b_b.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look.

I have found these pictures online of Clytie too - she is a beautiful looking boat - Hercules is looking a little tired in comparison at the moment, but we are in the process of addressing that :)

I dug the boat listing out of Jim Shead's site a while ago and compared that to the Allen register - That was how I initially got the idea into my head that this was the sister or Hercules. Picture showing the style of the front deck and relatively close BW index numbers. I have emailed the Allen Register folk who didn't know about the "sister boat" story.

Herc is in drydock at the mo, but one of the chaps in the dock knows the family who own Clytie and got in touch to say that her sister boat was with them at the moment :)

Hence it would be great to find the article :)

Thanks

I recently donated all my WW from the first issue to the WCBS if you find which issue it was in they should be able to help you purchase a copy which will in turn help raise funds for the restoration of all their boats.

btw if you do post it in H&H then Pete Harrison might know the issue he has been amazing in the past.

I recently donated all my WW from the first issue to the WCBS if you find which issue it was in they should be able to help you purchase a copy which will in turn help raise funds for the restoration of all their boats.

btw if you do post it in H&H then Pete Harrison might know the issue he has been amazing in the past.

Hey,

Thanks! It would be great to find which issue it was, even better if I can buy it from somewhere where the money feeds directly back to the canals.

I need to know how to get the thread moved to H and H - I guess find a mod and PM them?

I have every copy of Waterways World from the start and have probably gone through them several times over the years but cannot recall any such article nor is there any mention in the WW printed index which covers up to 1999.

I'd also say the scenario sounds unlikely. Harborough Marine built their own hulls and I can't really see them working on a Les Allen hull. Also they were canalside at Mkt Harborough so why crane in at Loughborough?

I suggest you try and contact the owner of Clytie to see if he recalls such an article - his brother Dave is the lockie at Sawley.

Paul

I'd also say the scenario sounds unlikely. Harborough Marine built their own hulls and I can't really see them working on a Les Allen hull. Also they were canalside at Mkt Harborough so why crane in at Loughborough?

I agree with all of that.

None of what is described makes any sense, and I have never heard of Harborough fitting out someone else's high end shell.

I rather think the previous owner may have got their wires crossed!

I agree with all of that.

None of what is described makes any sense, and I have never heard of Harborough fitting out someone else's high end shell.

I rather think the previous owner may have got their wires crossed!

Ok,

Back to the drawing board then!

I will see if I'm able to get hold of any other information - perhaps via Clytie.

Thanks for setting me straight :)

Hi,

I am clearing out the loft, lots of bound sets from 1973 (some 1972), up to about 1990?.

Collect from Chesham - donation to Wendover Arm Trust.

Your article may be there, see my old boat sold for £8500, only to be sold on to me a year (1988) later for £9500,

Leo

I flicked through 76, 77 and 78 and there is only a picture of Hercules the BW working boat.

Thanks for looking - and yes I could only find something about Hercules the working boat.

I'm in the process of writing the former owner an email to see if she can clarify anything further.

Cheers!

Hey,

Thanks! It would be great to find which issue it was, even better if I can buy it from somewhere where the money feeds directly back to the canals.

I need to know how to get the thread moved to H and H - I guess find a mod and PM them?

Moved to H&H...

"Hercules" was built for / by Michael Hedley-Whyte (SP?) and his wife Harmony to replace an earlier Allen boat ("Northumberland" ??). Mr. Hedley-Whyte had a builders merchants business in Loughborough, "Winfields."

It would be highly unlikely that Harborough fitted the boat out : their style would not have suited the owners

Winfields were a builders merchants in Loughborough - if my memory is correct the site is now Terratruck Hire on the junction of Derby Road and Regent Street. At some point they moved out to Bakewell Road. They used to have a fleet of distinctive pale green lorries.

The boat could have been locally fitted as at various times small boat fitters have occupied premises around Loughborough wharf which is only a few yards from the builders merchants site.

I have gone through 1972 to 1977 and I cant see anything. Trouble is I have found all these interesting articles that I havent read for 30years.I wil have to go through all the old back copies.Just love some of the adverts.

Yes same here.

What about the prices? unsure.png