Braised Sprouts

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Now I don't want to mention this too loudly but we are getting towards sprout season.

This recipe will get even the most hardened of sprout haters to eat their greens.

Simply chop up some streaky bacon and fry over a high heat. You really want to crozzle the fat. Next add some sprouts peeled and chopped in half. Fry for a few minutes and then add a half cup of stock . Simmer until the stock has reduced to almost nothing and the sprouts are tender, not soggy!

Here we have ours served with slow cooked lamb shoulder and new potatoes.

null_zpsd850edf1.jpg

I "got the hang" of spouts a couple of years ago when I was convinced to eat some that had been cooked with bacon lardons and chestnuts. Delicious!

I actually bought and cooked sprouts for myself for the first time just this week, and heartily enjoyed them. Which confuses the hell out of me because I can vividly remember finding the smell and taste of them repellent until I was at least 30 years old.

Crozzle ? Is that summat tha duz't bacon up north ? is that the same as dead, dead crispy ?

Crozzle is the crispy edges of cooked meat or, alternatively, it is the slag residue from the steel making process which is put on top of walls in South Yorkshire, instead of coping stones.

Crozzle is the crispy edges of cooked meat or, alternatively, it is the slag residue from the steel making process which is put on top of walls in South Yorkshire, instead of coping stones.

The dentally challenged like myself would probably not be able to tell the difference.

Thanks for that. So that's a new word added to my not very extensive vocabulary. In Brum we'd probably just call it crispy bits!

Actually, my Dad came from Chesterfield so you might think I would have known the word.

I'm wondering if the folk who dislike sprouts also dislike mustard cos sprouts are not of the cabbage-greens family of plants but of the mustard family of plants.

Where do you get that idea from, Biz? Sprouts are just cabbage buds. Mustard is related, but not as closely.

Actually, as sprouts seem to engender the same extreme opinions as Marmite, I wonder if there is any correlation?

Perhaps the two threads could be merged, to cause a really confusing discussion.

Where do you get that idea from, Biz? Sprouts are just cabbage buds. Mustard is related, but not as closely.

Actually, as sprouts seem to engender the same extreme opinions as Marmite, I wonder if there is any correlation?

Perhaps the two threads could be merged, to cause a really confusing discussion.

I think it was that gardener Alan Titchmarsh that mentioned that they were of the mustard family. There is a slight mustardy taste to them and don't really taste like other greens.

Both are members of the Brassica family aren't they?

EDIT: Black mustard is of the Brassica Family White Mustard isn't

Edited by Jerra

Both are members of the Brassica family aren't they?

EDIT: Black mustard is of the Brassica Family White Mustard isn't

Well, if we're really going to get into technicalities, they are both members of the same family, Cruciferae.

But you are correct in that they are of different genera: Black mustard is Brassica nigra; white mustard is Sinapsis alba.

And Brassica oleracea covers cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, etc, all derived from the wild cabbage, which is not particularly common and grows by the sea.

There, I'll take my botanist's hat off now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if we're really going to get into technicalities, they are both members of the same family, Cruciferae.

But you are correct in that they are of different genera: Black mustard is Brassica nigra; white mustard is Sinapsis alba.

And Brassica oleracea covers cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, etc, all derived from the wild cabbage, which is not particularly common and grows by the sea.

There, I'll take my botanist's hat off now.

Wild cabbage can be found above the white cliffs of Dover - and probably other places too!