Don't you just love solar panels :)

pelicanafloat

Featured Posts

As has already been said this seems a "no brainer" to me too...definitely a purchase I shall makes asap...I reckon 200 watts worth of panel/s should do the trick for my needs...though at present I am on the steep learning curve of which ones?, from who?, what do I need to buy with them? and about how much am I looking at spending for the full 9 yards?...so any of you kind folks wishing to provide a list of these facts would receive my undying gratitude Cheers. wink.png

Edited by Capt.Golightly

Yo C'pn loads to look at on Ebay, and as has been said on many recent occasions you don't need to spend more than £1-00 a watt.

Do get a MPPT controller and ensure it is big enough capacity to cope with the output of our chosen panels even better get one with spare capacity to cope with the addition of an extra panel. Don't ask me how I know this.

Phil

I'm back in a marina on shorepower for the winter, but am going to keep running some of the desktop pcs, and massive lounge TV off free sunlight. Shorepower elec cards are just too expensive. smile.png

How does it work Dean? Do you just run as much stuff as you can from your 12v system?

To be honest I can't see that reducing my AC power consumption very much. I don't have a huge TV and my laptop consumption is fairly minor. How do you reduce your shore power bills with solar panels exactly? Would I be able to switch my battery charger off for example? Not that it uses much mains power sitting on float. Or could I just switch shore power off and switch the inverter on?

Before I buy and install any panels, I think I'd need some tuition on the good and bad ways of doing it, panels, controllers and the best way to connect it all up.

Are these any good for example?

http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product/Biard_Solar_100W_Semi_Flexible_Monocrystalline_Solar_Panel/5579/74817.html?gclid=CIjQg8-ykboCFcfJtAodWSwAzQ

Edited by blackrose

Bit like this, fitted a few weeks ago..

They look good. Are they stuck or screwed down?

I tend to use my roof a lot and they look like they could be slippery when wet so I'd probably put them down the middle and just walk around them (my roof is 11ft wide)

Edited by blackrose

Managed to get this 3rd 240w panel up and running late this afternoon. So 3 panels 740w now wired in series and producing. Sunny day as well, batteries full again, not bad for mid October, although we did cruise for an hour so some 60 amps or so came from the engine.

DSCF2598_zpsc2a3568c.jpg

Full description of construction here.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20642&page=4

I finished wiring up my 2 X 100watt panels today and though overcast they were running my fridge and freezer. I first had solar about 8 years ago on my last boat 5 X 100watt so have always been sold on their value though at the time I had the World and his dog telling me they were a waste of time and money. I know different

Phil

Snap!! And I now 1200 watts on my new boat and I constantly get told they dont work! then the other day we had a powercut strange how my TV was still working :)

Peter

I totally understand why people love them for their output, but they do ruin the look of the boat IMO.

having seen this comment I was wishing I could work out how to post photos on the forum, then I saw this on the next page......

Bit like this, fitted a few weeks ago..

20130919_170410_zps6a7995cc.jpg

to fit a boat without ruining its roof profile.

The installation on my boat. I was quite keen not to change the profile/lines of my boat with solar panels. I got these for £150 each off eBay. 100w per panel. From side on, I.e stood on the tow path, you hardly notice them. Edited by junior

Managed to get this 3rd 240w panel up and running late this afternoon. So 3 panels 740w now wired in series and producing. Sunny day as well, batteries full again, not bad for mid October, although we did cruise for an hour so some 60 amps or so came from the engine.

DSCF2598_zpsc2a3568c.jpg

Full description of construction here.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20642&page=4

While I do appreciate that you can angle that panel in any direction you want to maximise efficiency, in my opinion it looks terrible! If it's got to be a choice between functionality and aesthetics, I'd really rather have reduced efficiency for something I can look at without feeling ill. Just the opinion of someone who doesn't even have any panels yet.

Edited by blackrose

While I do appreciate that you can angle that panel in any direction you want to maximise efficiency, in my opinion it looks terrible! If it's got to be a choice between functionality and aesthetics, I'd really rather have reduced efficiency for something I can look at without feeling ill. Just the opinion of someone who doesn't even have any panels yet.

I have to agree there, it does have that certain 'carbuncle' look. sad.png

Well some are happy with tons of coal & logs bikes generators plants laugh.png

Not really bothered too much about aesthetics, there there to do a job not look pretty laugh.png free energy though and the ability to be self sufficient has far more appeal, along with all the cost savings too of course, I would make them uglier for a few more amps laugh.png

They do seem to attract a lot of interest from people on the towpath though, we're constantly asked about them and photographed several times ad day smile.png A lot of boaters too of course show a lot of interest.

Anyway get a bucket ready BR here's a photo of both wink.png

DSCF2599_zpsbabf3e31.jpg

Bimble solar. 44p per watt.

Just ordered 290watt and all the trimmings for £388 inc carriage...brilliant mate thank you!

Well some are happy with tons of coal & logs bikes generators plants laugh.png

Not really bothered too much about aesthetics, there there to do a job not look pretty laugh.png free energy though and the ability to be self sufficient has far more appeal, along with all the cost savings too of course, I would make them uglier for a few more amps laugh.png

They do seem to attract a lot of interest from people on the towpath though, we're constantly asked about them and photographed several times ad day smile.png A lot of boaters too of course show a lot of interest.

Anyway get a bucket ready BR here's a photo of both wink.png

DSCF2599_zpsbabf3e31.jpg

Couldn't agree more mate, I think they look the business and devilishly cunning to boot!... though each Boat is each persons Kingdom so it isn't for me to dictate the preference of others but personally I see beauty in function rather than form...my roof only has two log bins and a trolley thus far as I am new to the life...but give it time wink.png ..if its useful it'll be up there and as I mostly spend my time aboard I don't see it anyway..Toulouse Latrec dined each day in the restaurant of the Eifel Tower because he hated it and it was the only place in Paris from which it wasn't visible. wink.png

Edited by Capt.Golightly

Just ordered 290watt and all the trimmings for £388 inc carriage...brilliant mate thank you!

Superb prices. I had this site saved on my comp as I have a base in Dorset where they're based and i completely forgot about them. I just purchased a 240 w for £175 but could have had a 290w for £166.25 Sods law ohmy.png

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/solar290mono

Now can I fit another one on laugh.png

Couldn't agree more mate, I think they look the business and devilishly cunning to boot!... though each Boat is each persons Kingdom so it isn't for me to dictate the preference of others but personally I see beauty in function rather than form...my roof only has two log bins and a trolley thus far as I am new to the life...but give it time wink.png ..if its useful it'll be up there and as I mostly spend my time aboard I don't see it anyway..Toulouse Latrec dined each day in the restaurant of the Eifel Tower because he hated it and it was the only place in Paris from which it wasn't visible. wink.png

Hi Capt

Thanks for the compliment. we get similar remarks on the towpath. Have some more cunning plans on the way, so a solar collector for hot water is planned for next summer.

It's devilishly difficult to keep a clear roof, but the flexi and semi flexi panels are superb IMO just more expensive so if you wan't to keep a clear roof it's just a matter of paying for the privilege.

We're at our solar limit now though as Lynn will have no more laugh.png Although a nice 60w flexi panel on the sliding hatch I reckon and she wouldn't notice laugh.png

TBH though I reckon the 740w we now have will suffice, it certainly will for 8 months of the year for sure unless there's a lot of really bad weather. It's going to be interesting how much we glean through the winter though. We're going to set the Outback back to Zero on the 1st Nov so will have some decent data up to End Feb.

Ironically we're running the engine as I type, batteries are down to just under half on the gauge, not sure why as we were near fully charged at 6pm last night, did watch a lot of tv though and 2 laptops. We'll do a 2 hour charge as it's useless here for solar at the moment. That will bring total engine running for charging to 7 hours in seven weeks, and that was with just 500w and not the additional 240w added yesterday.

Hi Capt

Thanks for the compliment. we get similar remarks on the towpath. Have some more cunning plans on the way, so a solar collector for hot water is planned for next summer.

It's devilishly difficult to keep a clear roof, but the flexi and semi flexi panels are superb IMO just more expensive so if you wan't to keep a clear roof it's just a matter of paying for the privilege.

We're at our solar limit now though as Lynn will have no more laugh.png Although a nice 60w flexi panel on the sliding hatch I reckon and she wouldn't notice laugh.png

TBH though I reckon the 740w we now have will suffice, it certainly will for 8 months of the year for sure unless there's a lot of really bad weather. It's going to be interesting how much we glean through the winter though. We're going to set the Outback back to Zero on the 1st Nov so will have some decent data up to End Feb.

Ironically we're running the engine as I type, batteries are down to just under half on the gauge, not sure why as we were near fully charged at 6pm last night, did watch a lot of tv though and 2 laptops. We'll do a 2 hour charge as it's useless here for solar at the moment. That will bring total engine running for charging to 7 hours in seven weeks, and that was with just 500w and not the additional 240w added yesterday.

Hi Julian, your installation seems to be very efficient, and with the still raising prices of fuel, I should try to rig-up something like you've made.

Hope I'll have a bit of luck in the lottery as my finances are a bit (read very) low.

Could you give me an idea of how much your whole installation cost you, to give me roughly the amount I have to beg, steal or borrow to do the same, my DC systems work on 24 volts, but I don't think that that will make a lot of difference.

I have led lighting everywhere, and a 1 year old battery park of 24V-360Ah, and have to run my generator between 2 to 4 hours a day (2 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the late afternoon 06 to 08pm), I don' think that the charging through my Trace inverter/charger is very efficient, but have to continue with it for the time being.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Julian, your installation seems to be very efficient, and with the still raising prices of fuel, I should try to rig-up something like you've made.

Hope I'll have a bit of luck in the lottery as my finances are a bit (read very) low.

Could you give me an idea of how much your whole installation cost you, to give me roughly the amount I have to beg, steal or borrow to do the same, my DC systems work on 24 volts, but I don't think that that will make a lot of difference.

I have led lighting everywhere, and a 1 year old battery park of 24V-360Ah, and have to run my generator between 2 to 4 hours a day (2 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the late afternoon 06 to 08pm), I don' think that the charging through my Trace inverter/charger is very efficient, but have to continue with it for the time being.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi bargemast

It didn't cost much TBH The solar panel I picked up for £175

The Oak I used was for struts was just left over off cuts from the build. The same could be done slightly wider 18 with ply of alloy box section even, say a fiver £5

The box and and board the buoy is set in can easily be constructed from 18mm ply as well. I just happened to have some high quality stuff @ 19mm, but the first array was made with standard 18mm WBP ply and is amply strong enough. Half a sheet would be ample £15

The buoy was £14.00 delivered. I did use all S/S fittings though I bought quite a lot to cover other projects, but at least £20 in nuts bolts screws, eye plates, 6mm chain padlock.

So about £55 without the panel.

Although I used a pillar drill and bench saw where necessary it could all be done with hand drill, jig saw, I retained a nice dinky Bosch router too which I find comes in very handy and fits in the bottom of a tool box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-POF-52-1-4-6mm-ROUTER-240V-FENCE-PROFILE-GUIDE-SPANNER-ACCESSORIES-/121190308963?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c37815c63

This wee router has done some incredible work routering well over 500 metres of Oak as well as all the other jobs in hardwood & ply. Great wee tool easy to handle.

Hi bargemast

It didn't cost much TBH The solar panel I picked up for £175

The Oak I used was for struts was just left over off cuts from the build. The same could be done slightly wider 18 with ply of alloy box section even, say a fiver £5

The box and and board the buoy is set in can easily be constructed from 18mm ply as well. I just happened to have some high quality stuff @ 19mm, but the first array was made with standard 18mm WBP ply and is amply strong enough. Half a sheet would be ample £15

The buoy was £14.00 delivered. I did use all S/S fittings though I bought quite a lot to cover other projects, but at least £20 in nuts bolts screws, eye plates, 6mm chain padlock.

So about £55 without the panel.

Although I used a pillar drill and bench saw where necessary it could all be done with hand drill, jig saw, I retained a nice dinky Bosch router too which I find comes in very handy and fits in the bottom of a tool box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-POF-52-1-4-6mm-ROUTER-240V-FENCE-PROFILE-GUIDE-SPANNER-ACCESSORIES-/121190308963?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c37815c63

This wee router has done some incredible work routering well over 500 metres of Oak as well as all the other jobs in hardwood & ply. Great wee tool easy to handle.

Hi Julian, That doesn't sound too expensive, and for you with all the tools and stuff you have + your DIY skills wasn't hard to make, I understand.

But what I'm really intersted in is knowing how much money you had to invest in your whole installation of 740w of solar-panals, controler, special wires etc.

just to know how much I'll have to win in the lottery to get an installation as performent as yours.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Julian, That doesn't sound too expensive, and for you with all the tools and stuff you have + your DIY skills wasn't hard to make, I understand.

But what I'm really intersted in is knowing how much money you had to invest in your whole installation of 740w of solar-panals, controler, special wires etc.

just to know how much I'll have to win in the lottery to get an installation as performent as yours.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi again. not that much considering.

The first 2 panels cost £450 delivered

The Outback 60 controller which will handle 3 panels cost £560

3rd panel £175

Cables plugs fuses wiring £35.00 than includes to battery.

I recall the first array I built was around £90 and the second as posted £55.

So £1365 Take away my diy constructions and you're looking £1210 or cheaper as solar panels are coming down in price.

I worked out the other day I could now fit 500w of solar up and running for under £600 using much a much cheaper Mppt controller and decreasing costs in panels. Bear in mind the Outback is a bit of a luxury, much cheaper models will do the basics the same. You just get a lot of data stuff from the Outback.

hello Julian,

I like the sound of the solar hot water too...i think I'm probably being optimistic about the output of my 290watt panel supplying all my needs, though they are low ,24w 12volt tv or laptop (never both) and in the evening mostly one led light...sometimes I spoil myself with two, i reckon the major users are the water pump and 12v fridge,,this is all speculation as I haven't lived on engine generated power yet still being in the marina where i bought the boat 6 weeks ago waiting for an engine rewire to be completed and hence on shorepower,..anyway soon I hope to be off cc'ing so i will no doubt update with more questions about other things on here then,,,cheers Andrew.