Bridgewater Canal/Weaver moorings/pubs advice

Philip

Featured Posts

Next week I'm having a week long trip taking the boat from Nantwich to the Manchester area, ideally reaching Boothstown and then if time allows a trip on part of the Weaver on the way back.

First of all can I ask which pubs do people recommend for food in the Lymm area - this can include from Grappenhall up to Dunham Massey and are there any to avoid? I know Ye Old No3 having been in there a few times, but we haven't been in for years. Also is it better mooring and pub wise to stay overnight at Worsley or Boothstown? I know Castlefield is secure but do you need to book ahead or pay like you do for Gas Street Basin? Secondly do you need to book ahead for Anderton Lift or can you just turn up and go through (obv within the opening times)? Thinking of going up to Dutton if I have time, how long does it take from Anderton to Dutton?

Finally should I brace myself for a trip down the weed hatch while in town? It's 14 years since we last travelled on the Bridgewater in Manchester and having 'done Birmingham' (and the endless problems I faced) a few months ago I'm expecting this trip to be a little more relaxing!!

Edited by Philip

know Castlefield is secure but do you need to book ahead or pay like you do for Gas Street Basin?

No booking and no fee and where did you pay in Gas Street ?

Castlefield is safe but not 'secure', in fact it is quite busy with people walking through.

need to book ahead for Anderton Lift or can you just turn up and go through

Best to look at their website as I believe they are on 'winter times' now and that is very limited.

Summer months, if you book ahead is £5 just turn up and take a chance is free.

Bridgewater is deep and wide and they do not slow down for moored boats.sad.png

Edited by bottle

Castlefield is safe but not 'secure', in fact it is quite busy with people walking through.

Best to look at their website as I believe they are on 'winter times' now and that is very limited.

Thanks. I didn't pay because I moored on the mainline on the Wolverhampton side of Deep Cuttings Junction, between the two ends of the Oozell's Street loop. From what I could see there was a charge for mooring in Gas Street Basin, unless I misread it.

Thanks. I didn't pay because I moored on the mainline on the Wolverhampton side of Deep Cuttings Junction, between the two ends of the Oozell's Street loop. From what I could see there was a charge for mooring in Gas Street Basin, unless I misread it.

I expect that was the charge for overstaying. The signs have been there for ages, £5 a night if I recall.

We have not had any trouble with prop fouling on the Bridgewater. You can also moor at Sale either side of the canal with pubs either side and GBG listed Wetherspoons just up the road. Choice of 2 GBG pubs at Worsley as well.

Regards

Pete

I'd be surprised if it's 'winter hours' just yet, but failed to find any info at all on their website regarding times, apart from trip boat timings.

If you do go on the Weaver, try to see as much of it as you can - don't do what so many do and just go up to Northwich, or maybe down to Acton Bridge. The best bits are beyond those two points.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Anderton Lift opening hours are on Waterscape under Stoppages....

Waterway: Trent & Mersey Canal »

From 21/03/2013 to 03/11/2013

Anderton Boat Lift will run to a seasonal schedule with private passage available at various

points of the day, these will vary due to schedule, demand and availability.

Passage available during these times: (directional time restrictions apply)

OFF-PEAK Monday - Friday 09:30am - 16:30pm

PEAK Saturday & Sundays, Bank Holidays & August 09:30am - 17:30pm

Bookings can be made by calling the bookings team on 01606 786 777 option 8, or by visiting the booking office.

I haven't eaten at any of the pubs in Lymm, but just near the canal the new brew pub, Lymm Brewery (owned by or part of Dunham Brewery) has recently opened & serves a fine selection of real ales & craft beers. The chip shop opposite isn't bad. There a quite a selection of restaurants in Lymm & I've heard good reports of the food at the Church House Pub?

As for the Weaver, I agree with Tim, try & see as much of the river as you can, it's wonderfully diffent to the cut & well worth a visit. The Lockies are generally helpful with advice re moorings etc. From Anderton to Dutton is roughly a couple of hours boating, with good moorings at Barnton, Saltersford Locks, Acton Bridge & Dutton Locks.

Enjoy your trip,

Cheers, Brian

Anderton Boat Lift will run to a seasonal schedule with private passage available at various

Bookings can be made by calling the bookings team on 01606 786 777 option 8, or by visiting the booking office.

Well, that's a logical place to find them!

Tim

Thanks for this. I'm hoping I can book on the day as I'm not sure which day it'll be yet, can't see a problem turning up on the day at the booking office and booking passage?

I like The Swan With Two Nicks at Little Bollington.

Moor at Bollington Underbridge, (heading towards Manchester, just after The Olde No 3, the pylons and the winding hole), down the path, under the bridge, walk along the track until it becomes cobbles and then road. Turn left, and the pub is on the left. Great food, very friendly, not cheap but excellent quality, dog friendly - biscuits on the bar :) )

I like The Swan With Two Nicks at Little Bollington.

Moor at Bollington Underbridge, (heading towards Manchester, just after The Olde No 3, the pylons and the winding hole), down the path, under the bridge, walk along the track until it becomes cobbles and then road. Turn left, and the pub is on the left. Great food, very friendly, not cheap but excellent quality, dog friendly - biscuits on the bar smile.png )

Ooh. Conflicted. I did some of my underage drinking in there - went in there off the boat a couple of years ago and I'm sure it was much improved from the flea pit of my youth, but <waiiiiil> it wasn't the same.sad.png

The rams head in grappenhall has recently changed owners and the food is excelent, the London bridge in stocktonheath is very good and the spread eagle in lymm is also very good, although stocktonheath offers Chinese , Italian, Indian, Turkish, Japanese, and a few other variations of restaurants, spoilt for choice really, the swan with two Knicks is consistently good food and a favourite of mine, never really had a problem with prop fouling on the bridge water although leaves are starting to be a pain again now, I hope you enjoy a relaxing trip and if you stop off in stocktonheath pm me and ile meet you for a pint (or two).

Turned up at the lift just over week ago and was given a passage within the hour , could have gone right away if five mins earlier , coming back up the next day no problem and we were going up before 12 noon.

edit to add - not booked passage we had just turned up so free.

Edited by gaggle

There's a decent curryhouse in Lymm called The Sahib. For beer, we usually go to the Spread Eagle, but it was closed for a refurb the last time we pased through (May 2013) so we went to The Bulls Head by the bridge instead. If you visit Runcorn you might be hard pressed to find a decent pub. We could only find The Wetherspoon - all the others were either tinned-up (i.e shut and sealed) or had no proper beer.

There are also plenty of restaurants and pubs in Sale. The wetherspoons (J.P. Joule hope you like reading chemistry books) is five minutes walk from the moorings (head east down Northenden Road). There's a reasonable Italian on the western side of sale bridge Da Vinci Restarante

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleasant trip up to Worsley via Castlefield and then on the Weaver for a bit on the way back, first time down (and up) the lift! The only bits I didn't like were the run through Sale (straight, enclosed and boring) and then Stretford - canal was full of rubbish and wouldn't stop there!

Stopped at:

Sunday - Middlewich

Monday - Lymm

Tuesday - Worsley (no problems)

Wednesday - Stockton Heath

Thursday - Anderton Nature Park on the Weaver

Friday - Marston

The food in the Spread Eagle at Lymm and the Stanley Arms at Anderton was excellent. Salt Barge at Marston - good pub grub with a great comfy atmosphere. Big Lock at Middlewich - yet another banner saying 'Under New Management' but they did a very tasty cajun chicken baguette with onions and peppers so fair dos.

Edited by Philip