Thames to Oxford

freebirdcath

Featured Posts

Hi there

Wondering if anyone has any advice re whether to go from Thames (upstream) to Oxford canal using the first entrance (sheepwash) or the 2nd (dukes cut). I've heard mooring on the lower section of the Oxford is sparce. But given my boat is 60ft I'm finding the Thames difficult to moor on.

Thanks for great advice on previous post

Cath

I've only ever done Duke's cut but found it scenic and fast aside from the last narrow overgrown channel leading to the first single lock with boats moored on it. Not a major issue just a strange bit of water. Past Bossom's under the red bridge are a series of yellow buoys-these are for the sailing club so ignore but stay central as it is shallow. Between Godstow and King's lock pay attention as there are plenty of red/green buoys. Turn 180deg just past Kings and look for a signpost on the right after a mile pointing to the aforementioned channel to your left and you're there.

Hi there

Wondering if anyone has any advice re whether to go from Thames (upstream) to Oxford canal using the first entrance (sheepwash) or the 2nd (dukes cut). I've heard mooring on the lower section of the Oxford is sparce. But given my boat is 60ft I'm finding the Thames difficult to moor on.

Thanks for great advice on previous post

Cath

I always us the first entrance. It's creepy and spooky threading through the narrow bit and under the skull of the derelict railway engine turntable/swing bridge or whatever it is.... FAR more interesting than the other way.

MtB

• Greenie 1

I would probably use Dukes cut.

BW have really messed up the Sheepwash approach. They have provided a big pontoon, and a barrier across the lower channel, This was done to make life harder for the local crusty liveaboards but has made the turn into the lock very difficult for longer boats. EA are also sending more flow down Sheepwash recently which makes it even worse.

If you plan a return trip then Sheepwash is a lot easier heading towards the Thames.

.............Dave

I always us the first entrance. It's creepy and spooky threading through the narrow bit and under the skull of the derelict railway engine turntable/swing bridge or whatever it is.... FAR more interesting than the other way.

MtB

I agree it's more interesting and it's a bit of an education passing all the "residential" moorings in the city, It is a bit nose to tail there, I don't recall seeing one vacant spot. There's a water point which you miss if you use Duke's cut.

Duke's cut is much quicker I guess.

Depends when you go through. There are 48 hour moorings in the centre just after Isis lock then just after the park (24 hour moorings) there are some 7 day moorings (although the bank is poor). The water point also has an elsan point and refuse disposal. Never had a problem finding a mooring anywhere in Oxford even in the middle of the holiday period (though we are only 40").

MtB

Me too although I had no problem mooring a 60 ft boat mid June immediately after the last Thames lock before Oxford with the added advantage of being right outside the quirky Punter pub.

Edited by by'eck

If you go the other way you'll miss the overgrown sheepwash channel, the railway turntable, the difficult turn in the pool, the first toytown narrow lock of the cut after the big wide Thames, the visitor moorings in the city centre, the hard-won agenda 21 moorings, the creepy dark backs of all the terraced houses through Jericho where TV series 'Morse' was set and filmed, the abject scruffiness where the city turns it's back on the canal, the awesome new A34 flyover, then the emergence of the canal into the beautiful countryside where Duke's Cut joins.

Honestly the best bit of the whole of the Oxford canal lies south of Dukes Cut.

I've started on the Shiraz. Can you tell?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

We moored outside the Jericho Boatyard (that was) two weeks ago with no problem just above Isis lock.

Going down onto the Thames the pontoon is a bit wrong, the lockie has a long walk round to get back to the boat and then found that I had to reverse back into the lock to allow me to turn sharp right into the channel.

Dukes cut is very easy to miss traveling up stream, the signs are hidden by the bushes as you leave the lock, once in the cut you wonder if you have made the right choice as the channel is very over grown, even more so the closer you get to Dukes lock. Also at Dukes lock getting off the boat is next to impossible from the stern due to the lack of cutting back of the vegetation.

Yeah u weren't there for the pool turn and the skull of the railway turntable, or the city centre end. I fink I'll take ALDEBARAN back down there again. I LURVE it there...

MtB

and you wouldn't want to miss this scenic feature rolleyes.gif

IMG_4589.jpg

OMG, get a GRIP,

SHEEPWASH!!!!

biggrin.png

MtB

Another vote for Sheepwash from me. I love the stretch from there up to Dukes.

I am surprised you are having trouble mooring your boat on the Thames though; I never had any trouble in the 62ft boat I had first.

Here you are. Mike, some more details for you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-15632994

Thanks!

Seems it's going to be renovated. From the article:

"The money will also be spent on making the area more accessible and appealing to visitors."

This will of course wreck it's appeal as a fascinating and ghostly find, a complete railway swingbridge nestling in the stinging nettles and alive with the spirits of railwaymen of yesteryear.

Terrible shame to let them make it all shiny and new again with manicured grass, H&S-safe walkways and display boards showing photographs of how it was, i.e. now, before the 'renovation'...

MtB

but will the renovation happen...

Jericho is just divine; missing it is a shame. If you do stop there here is a list of my very favorite places in the immediate vicintiy

* St Speulchre's Cemetery (http://www.stsepulchres.org.uk/)

*St Barnabus church is simply divine (http://www.achurchnearyou.com/oxford-st-barnabas-jericho/) I rocked up before an ash wednesday service when there was choir practice - it is a beautiful space for chants; I stayed about 20 minutes engulfed in sound. I left when the service started and went to another of my favourite haunts...

* the Old Bookbinders (http://oldbookbinders.co.uk/)

* The trap grounds are wonderful as the sun rises or sets (http://trap-grounds.org.uk/) If you go there, make sure you stop at..

* the Anchor (http://www.anchoroxford.co.uk/)

*The phoenix picture house is fantastic. (http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Phoenix_Picturehouse/)

Edited by Bones