Nice Bit Of Historic Wall Art For Sale

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I think anyone with a love of historic boats would find this a potentially lovely bit of old wood to hang on the wall.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231046398544?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&autorefresh=true

It has to be worth more than it's current bid of £2.19?

Interesting comment in the description:

You can help to get 1913 built "Hazel" up and running as a well being boat by bidding on her old deckboard ( often erroneously called a cratch) It's well past being used on a narrow boat but would look well as a wall decoration. Bid generously, get the old girl back into service.

Is this a deckboard, a cratch, a cratch board or what?

According to Mr E Paget-Tomlinson it is a cratch.

Any one know different ?

Interesting comment in the description:

You can help to get 1913 built "Hazel" up and running as a well being boat by bidding on her old deckboard ( often erroneously called a cratch) It's well past being used on a narrow boat but would look well as a wall decoration. Bid generously, get the old girl back into service.

Is this a deckboard, a cratch, a cratch board or what?

Any one know different ?

I believe the cratch is the complete structure including the deckboard, don't claim to be an expert though.

Edit - beaten to it (with the same answer)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Out of interest from The Oxford Dictionary:

Definition of cratch in English cratch

Pronunciation: /kratʃ/
noun dialect
  • a long open trough or rack used for holding food for farm animals out of doors.
Origin:

Middle English: from Old French creche; ultimately of Germanic origin and related to crib

I understood it to be the area at the front of the hold in horse drawn boats where the horse's fodder, food was kept.

Edited by Ray T

The cratch is the complete structure I believe.

Dan

That has alwys been my understanding as well, usually a ladder type framed structure about 2ft deep, and found on almost all working boats at one time, sometimes they had a decorative ogee shaped extension at the front. In more recent years the structure was limited to the board only, but the word cratch has survived and is often used (incorrectly) to describe the deckboard.

The racks in stables used to store fodder are also known as cratches, and bear a silmilarity in appearance, so the description may come from the old horse boating days when hay could have been stored in it, However, I have never seen any photographic evidence to support this suggestuion.

edited to add:- Ray has beeaten me to it, I will now have to try and find some photos to gazzump him!clapping.gif

Edited by David Schweizer

Any one know different ?

Indeed he does, as does Tony Lewery, Tom Chaplin, Robert J. Wilson and others, all describing the decoration of the front board, rather than the actual cratch structure suggesting that they believe the board is also called the "cratch".

I cannot recall mention of "deckboard" in books I've read but am happy to be pointed to ones I've missed.

However, more than person who has worked the Midlands narrow boats or is involved in boat-building has pulled me up and corrected me when I have described it as a "cratch" so I am most definitely on the fence with this one (but usually use "deckboard" because I prefer the distinction between the two structures).

A bit more research (adding to the confusion!) - One of the drawings for the new GUCC Star class boats produced in the book "Walkers of Ricky" (from the 1935 edition of "Motor boat and Yachting") describe the deck board as a "Deck Cratch" with the rear frame described as a "False Cratch". However, another illustration ( by Edward Paget Tomlinson) describes the board simply as a "Cratch" and the whole framework as a "False Cratch".

Edited by David Schweizer

Well ............

When I posted the link the first time there were only a few hours left to run on the deck board. That means that I suspect a lot of people missed a chance to bid on it. It did sell but I think the person who bid paid but was only bidding to try and help raise funds for Hazel. That means the deck board has been relisted!

It is available at a 99p starting bid - there has to be a few people on this forum who would be willing to part with a few pounds to get Hazel finished? How much is this worth? I suspect to the right person it would be worth a lot of money but to Hazel and the team who are working on her whatever it goes for will make a huge difference. Someone please get the ball rolling by bidding 99p on it - even if you don't actually want it!

Then please keep this thread bumped up for the duration of the auction so lots of others see it and bid.

If you are on Facebook then share the link on your wall so all your friends get to see it too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231056102501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

She is coming on really beautifully. There are a lot of photo's of her over on Facebook and so those who "do" facebook can have find "Hazel Rejuvenated" and like her to see all the photo's - I have put a few of the most recent ones here:

602822_297400410401440_190209277_n.jpg

1239755_297400743734740_224738990_n.jpg

1239817_300580230083458_532945809_n.jpg

and a photo that illustrates how far they have come already:

560782_106032346204915_1684261628_n.jpg

I am learning new things today. On the rare occasions when I thought about it I had assumed that cratch was related to the word "crutch", and maybe to the word "cruck" (or is it crick?) used to describe a cottage built around curved trunks of wood.

I do find the practice of some eBay sellers, who advertise an item for sale and then tell the winning bidder "That's not enough. I am going to relist it. Sod off" unfortunate to say the least.

I do find the practice of some eBay sellers, who advertise an item for sale and then tell the winning bidder "That's not enough. I am going to relist it. Sod off" unfortunate to say the least.

I do know on this occasion the winning bidder paid for the item then informed the seller that they did not want it and had only bid to help raise funds for Hazel and so they were free to relist it

If sellers take the line that you have suggested they would usually very quickly get negative feedback and it would put others off bidding.

I think the thing that happens more often is that if the winning bid does not match what the seller hopes to achieve then an unfortunate accident might happen to the item meaning it is no longer available to change hands. This has happened to me once or twice when I have won something at way below the odds. The seller advising me they had fallen down the stairs with the item in their hands and suggesting that I am being cruel and heartless about their injuries if I persue the a photo of the (now broken) item.

Some people should take up writing fiction!

BUMP

There is only around a day to go on this. Carl has openly stated he "stuck a tenner on it" in post 15 and yet the bidding has only gone up to £6.50.

That must mean that everyone who has read this thread is so broke they can't afford to donate anything over a tenner to a very worthy cause.

What is worse - it must mean that everyone who has read this thread (and is registered on eBay) is too lazy to place a bid of £9.99 to ensure Hazel gets the full benefit of the funds Carl has so generously offered.

Come on guys someone is going to smile when they see Hazel finished and know they had a small part in the process

What is worse - it must mean that everyone who has read this thread (and is registered on eBay) is too lazy to place a bid of £9.99 to ensure Hazel gets the full benefit of the funds Carl has so generously offered.

Oi!

I would point out that Schill bidding is very Norty indeed but, whatever happens, I shall be donating the full tenner.

• Greenie 2

Oi!

I would point out that Schill bidding is very Norty indeed but, whatever happens, I shall be donating the full tenner.

Ah but schill bidding is described as "placing bids on an item in order to artificially increase it's price"

Well in my personal opinion it is still well under it's potential value :)

I would not be at all surprised if someone does not come along in the next 22 hours 27 minutes and 17 seconds who fully appreciates what a wonderful design feature this has the potential to be and has even deeper pockets than you Carl (but thank you for being a star - I am all out of greenies for today but I will be back tomorrow

I would not be at all surprised if someone does not come along in the next 22 hours 27 minutes and 17 seconds who fully appreciates what a wonderful design feature this has the potential to be...

It would look nice on a pub wall, cleaned up and the rough edges squared up.