Another resi mooring

i love my narrowboat

Featured Posts

Is it though? A residential near two towns, railway (a little over an hour to London), bus stop at the bridge, pub and tea house, three way junction. Spoke to someone who's been very happy there. It is worth what someone will pay for it.

I suppose, especially if you have to work and live on a boat, location location location as they say LOL We're only 3 weeks into CCing, you never know we might end up needing one LOL

Unlikely though, we like to move and moor in peace.

Is it though? A residential near two towns, railway (a little over an hour to London), bus stop at the bridge, pub and tea house, three way junction. Spoke to someone who's been very happy there. It is worth what someone will pay for it.

My thoughts too - though I suspect this one will go for much higher than guide because of all of that.

We were lucky and got our mooring (non resi) at reserve but we are not near any good rail links to a major city - one train a day to and another back from Leeds.rolleyes.gif

Biggest drawback for me would the lack of parking at the Marsworth one.

Edited by The Dog House

If it goes for that price it will be something of a bargain in that area. I cant recall a similar 20m mooring going for less than 3K in recent times, several for quite a bit more, especially as they are now taking 10' plus boats there.

Depends what you need, I guess....

Although some buses pass they don't really take you where you most likely want to go, and neither station is at all close.

Biggest problem to many as a full time live-aboard location will be absence of any usable parking.

Parking, (assuming it is important to you!), is the limiting factor at thre vast majority of CRT long term mooring sites on the GU North of (say) Tring summit. Nearly all ads say "you need to make your own arrangements", but at many of the locations where there are CRT LT mooring sites this would be a challenge.

Anyone looking for a mooring of up to 50 feet would have dne well to go for this one, which nobody bid on.

Fairly secure offside site, with parking, and full facilities (water, electric, Elsan). At about £1,900, it wouls seriously undercut local marinas, with few downsides over them.

Although officially "leisure", many of the boats are in fact residential........

Parking at this mooring is difficult many stop by the next bridge down but I believe there have been a fair few break ins. The other problem with this mooring is that it's a reasonable walk from car to boat with shopping etc, not being able to have anything on the towpath might be a problem as its a very popular path for walkers and cyclists.

Note to self: must remember everyone is an individual and that the UK and SE are very different.

Our nearest bus station (one single departure per work day) is three miles away, which we gladly walk. And our nearest train station is 15 miles. So for me, the three miles to Tring station felt like "walking distance" But realise its not the same for all.

Note to self: must remember everyone is an individual and that the UK and SE are very different.

Our nearest bus station (one single departure per work day) is three miles away, which we gladly walk. And our nearest train station is 15 miles. So for me, the three miles to Tring station felt like "walking distance" But realise its not the same for all.

Sorry,

I was not intending to disagree with how you see it, but, as you say, most "Brits" will not see that as easy walking distance if it is (say) part of a daily commute, (so multiplied by 2).

Also Tring summit may seem a pleasant walk in "clement" weather, but in the winter can be a complete mud-bath, with waterfalls across parts of the towpath.

The prices fetched by Marsworth moorings have historically been all over the place, so wlist it it will be interesting where this full length residential one lands, you certainly cannot say that any one auction is any great predictor for the next.

For example, the one I posted above nearby didn't let, but I got seriously outbid when I tried to get one at the same site just a few months back. (Incidentally, would have gone after that one, but we are no longer sure we know what our future needs are...)

South of Birmingham everything is overpriced!!!

Its heading North though.

One CRT mooring for auction at Torksey at the moment is at a guide price of over £1k. Thats almost Burton Waters prices and well above what they are normally set at. Utter madness!!