Coal

Sunsoup

Featured Posts

This is what I will do Blackrose, to save on costs but keep lite over weekends. There's a good chance I'm gonna be made redundant in march/ April so must learn how to keep boat warm at minimum cost.

Not sure how much money I will get on the pancrack. (If any) I've only worked since 1985

Hi Sunsoup.

Dont be so glum mate. If made redundant get another job. Start looking NOW. I left school in 1971 and havnt had one second on the " Pan crack " since then.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Tim

Sounded like house coal it can smell of sulphur and can pop/crack.

Try some of the smokeless fuels as cleaner and longer lasting and different stoves like different fuels. Certainly don't be afraid of your stove, be cautious if it's new to you and check stove surrounding but a great way of learning to use the stove is to buy a stovax etc stove thermometer that sticks onto the stove or flue to give you an idea of temperature and to keep it fuelled in a safe manner, ie not too cool as to create tar,soot and not too hot as to overheat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovax-Stove-Thermometer-Temperature-Gauge/dp/B00465NFQQ

Don't forget your CO alarm and fire alarms.

Jamescheers.gif

Check out the local Aldi, looks the same but different packaging, £3.99. I think.

Only had a quick look, didn't buy as just another thing to keep checking and fretting over. help.gif

It took us a few years to get full proficient in keeping the stove in, now it seems second nature.

It takes a day or so to warm the bones of our boat so we prefer to keep thinks ticking over 24/7,

This thread has reminded me that I need a new grate for my squirrel. (Just the round bit) anyone know the cheapest supplier?

Hey smile.png Just to give an alternative experience on this point. We kept our Squirrel in 24/7 last winter with wood until winter went on till spring should have happened - it's all about managing the vents and the right size of wood - we have "banker logs" that we know, with the right base, will keep the stove in all night.

It takes a bit of practice but it's well worth it when you heat your boat for free smile.png

Assuming you have a free source of logs. Most people don't and buying logs will end up more expensive than coal.

I burned mostly wood last winter because I got them free from work, but chopping and splitting logs is hard work even with a chainsaw and decent log splitter. Well worth it if you do have a source of free wood.

Edited by blackrose

Seeing the amounts of coal used per week and admitings of warped stove parts. I wonder what temps everyone keep inside?

If cost is vital. It is not dificult to keep a stove in 24/7 burning wood, with a little practice. Nor to burn a sack of coal per week and be quite comfy.

If you're not working then I'd agree, but I don't see how it's possible to keep a relatively small stove going on wood when you're out at work all day.

If you think it's possible to keep a stove in 24/7 on a single sack of coal, you must have a very small stove.

I've heard other people say they only use 1 sack of coal per week even in the depths of winter and wondered what I was doing wrong. Then I mentioned this to Liz on the coal boat who told me most people use 2-3 bags - even the ones who say they only use 1 bag/week!

I think some people just like to exaggerate a frugal persona because they think it makes them more credible or something.

Hi Sunsoup.

Dont be so glum mate. If made redundant get another job. Start looking NOW. I left school in 1971 and havnt had one second on the " Pan crack " since then.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Tim

The pan crack? I haven't heard that one before. Does he mean the sausage roll?

• Greenie 1

I've been using squirrels, both here and on the canals. Well, been using a variety of cast iron soves, ranges and ceramik stoves all my life. And "perhaps" might have some understanding about fire, living in a country where its below zero and temps down to -25, -30 for about six months per year ;-) It is fully possible to bank up a squirrel with wood and keep it in on tickover for ten hours. We dont even have coal over here! Its considered bad for the environment and is simply not available. But i agree Blackrose, if being a professional in the Uk and perhaps commuting from a boat. I wouldn't take the risk and add a few coals before leaving home.

If you're not working then I'd agree, but I don't see how it's possible to keep a relatively small stove going on wood when you're out at work all day.

If you think it's possible to keep a stove in 24/7 on a single sack of coal, you must have a very small stove.

I've heard other people say they only use 1 sack of coal per week even in the depths of winter and wondered what I was doing wrong. Then I mentioned this to Liz on the coal boat who told me most people use 2-3 bags - even the ones who say they only use 1 bag/week!

I think some people just like to exaggerate a frugal persona because they think it makes them more credible or something.

The pan crack? I haven't heard that one before. Does he mean the sausage roll?

Not heard pan crack either, s'always rock and roll where I come from.

In terms of frugal fuel use, I believe Caprifiool knows a thing or two about keeping warm and efficient fuel use. He also makes big wooly socks which might help :) But yes, we use between 2.5 and 3 bags a week

when it's cold.

It took us a few years to get full proficient in keeping the stove in, now it seems second nature.

It takes a day or so to warm the bones of our boat so we prefer to keep thinks ticking over 24/7,

This thread has reminded me that I need a new grate for my squirrel. (Just the round bit) anyone know the cheapest supplier?

Try Limekiln Chandlers, i think i paid about £28 including p&p.

Assuming you have a free source of logs. Most people don't and buying logs will end up more expensive than coal.

I burned mostly wood last winter because I got them free from work, but chopping and splitting logs is hard work even with a chainsaw and decent log splitter. Well worth it if you do have a source of free wood.

That's very true and a good point. We forage all summer in preparation for the winter and are fortunate enough to have parents with the space to store the wood, so we're not limited by how much we can fit on our roof. Others don't have that luxury. We would never pay for wood, we buy coal when we run out of wood.

Hi Sunsoup,

One for you to try as you're in W Yorks is Ace Enegy in Greetland. We use their Real Flame smokeless nuts on a Squirrel & get excellent results - very good heat, banks down well & less ash than many smokeless - including Taybrite which used to be our favourite, till we got the mooring in W Yorks.

They do a comprehensive range of other coals / smokeless as well & were very helpful & informative when we started out with the stove a few years ago.

They'll do free delivery for 250kg, which is only 10 bags, so if you'd only need your sister to hold on to a few bags to make that work I reckon, or you can pick up as little as a bag a time from the depot.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer:-)

Richard

Thanks Richard, that will be worth a try. Next time I'm near Elland I will ask me big sis to drive us over to Greetland

Probably worth a call for a chat anyway, as they can let you know what else they have in stock.

Have a look at http://www.ace-energyshop.co.uk/ for contact details & an idea of what else they do.

Richard

PS hoping to be down your way at the weekend picking up our boat from Brian @ Shepley Bridge after her repaint, than back to Salterhebble if there's any water left in the canal!

Is there a preferred type to use in an Epping? Someone said to me the other day to make sure I only use little nuts in there. What does that mean?

You can happily burn any of the standard processed fuels like Taybrite, Excel, Pureheat, Stoveglow etc in an Epping.

Because the firebox is so small though, we find them harder to keep in than a standard multi-fuel stove, but it is possible with practice.

You can happily burn any of the standard processed fuels like Taybrite, Excel, Pureheat, Stoveglow etc in an Epping.

Because the firebox is so small though, we find them harder to keep in than a standard multi-fuel stove, but it is possible with practice.

Yep, generally any smokeless will burn OK on an Epping, we keep ours going as our only source of heat & cooking for 17 days a month when out on our coal runs. We find that cheaper brands tend to burn a bit faster & smellier. Usually we burn Supertherm or Pureheat & we can leave the boat for up to 36 hours & come back to find the Epping still alight. Gradually you learn what works for you & you're stove.

Cheers, Brian

Stay away from house coal it's rubbish it smoky and smelly but easy to light. The smokless stuff burns much longer and cleaner try a 10kg bag of a couple of makes and see what works for you. You're right about leaving the fire in while you're out a friend of mine's boat went up while he was at work, they believe a fast passing boat rocked it and something fell onto the fire but it's one in a million.

nothing wrong with it, it's good coal, but i'm sure you would need a specially designed and quite complex stove to burn off all the nasty in it, possibly with a blower, and gasifier ect.

I don't think any such thing exists outside a power station. ( i feel a stove building project coming on )