Harecastle Tunnel, CaRT penny pinching

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I've recently been told by one of the Harecastle tunnel keepers that CaRT want to cut costs so are going to close the tunnel for tunnel keepers lunch breaks. They are going to dock the tunnel keepers pay as a cost saving exercise. How much is that going to save? It will make for longer queue's, so perhaps they can spend the extra cash on some extra mooring rings. Anyone else heard about this proposal?

I've recently been told by one of the Harecastle tunnel keepers that CaRT want to cut costs so are going to close the tunnel for tunnel keepers lunch breaks. They are going to dock the tunnel keepers pay as a cost saving exercise. How much is that going to save? It will make for longer queue's, so perhaps they can spend the extra cash on some extra mooring rings. Anyone else heard about this proposal?

The amount saved will depend if it's part of a wider costing saving scheme involving other CRT staff across the system, on it's own it will be pointless.

I suspect it might not just be these staff affected.

And I think we had to wait for the end of lunch back at Easter

Richard

The amount saved will depend if it's part of a wider costing saving scheme involving other CRT staff across the system, on it's own it will be pointless.

I suspect it might not just be these staff affected.

I suspect it's rubbish

Richard

Then the information on Waterscape is incorrect (wouldn't be the first time of course) -

During Summer Hours:
Summer hours run from Saturday 25th May through to Sunday 1st September.
The tunnel will open for passage daily 8.00am-6.00pm
To be guaranteed a passage, craft must arrive by 4.00pm
Any enquiries regarding tunnel availability, please call 03030 404040 in office hours.
Makes no mention of lunchtime closing.
Edited by The Dog House

It's not a proposal it's already happening. I believe the end result could well be one less passage a day.

Which bit, closing for lunch or not paying the tunnel keepers?

I believe the first bit has been happening for ages, and the second bit is illegal

Richard

MORE: SO, I'm wrong - again biggrin.png

Edited by RLWP

Some years ago I was interested in the Lockie job at Hurleston. The job then was working 8 - 6 for four days on, then four days off. I understood this was a fairly typical arrangement and believe the Harecastle guys were on the same system.

Then BW changed the terms so instead of employing two lockies at Hurleston they would employ one for five days a week and give him an unpaid lunch break. Maybe the terms at the tunnel were changed also. I'm pretty sure last time i went through (2011) we had to wait for 2:00 to go through rather than just waiting for the convoy coming the other way.

On my return trip through the Harecastle Tunnel (earlier in August) we had to wait while the tunnel keepers had their lunch break - which one of them told us was an enforced, unpaid break. Probably EU rules again....? It meant waiting about 40 minutes for the boats to come through the other way, then an hour while they had lunch - fortunately it was a lovely sunny day so sitting looking at the orange water wasn't too bad!

Which bit, closing for lunch or not paying the tunnel keepers?

As I understand it from talking to one of the blokes, their contracts have been changed as they are classed as seasonal workers. Full time employees have had new contracts fought for by their unions, but the seasonal workers were excluded. Their pay has been cut and their hours extended, they don't get overtime pay or additional pay for bank holidays and weekends as they have in the past. There are other changes I can't remember (I suspect that they no longer get paid for lunch breaks, which is why the tunnel may close for them now), but I do recall he said that they each are going to lose about £3000 a year and some of the guys are leaving as they can't live on what's left - as seasonal workers there's no retention pay over winter.

And before anyone says they can't do that, contract law is, oddly enough, the last refuge of the feudal system - only the employee is bound by the contract, not the employer i.e. the employer can vary the contract as and when they want, and the contractee can either accept the changes or quit.