Help need a Kitchen Fitter

Featured Posts

We need a new kitchen (its not urgent) to replace our tired old one on our boat Bayley's Meadow. Its a job we identified (along with the bathroom) from the start when we bought it in March this year and we were happy to accept it as the rest of the boat is very good.

We have detailed plans and we know what units we need to buy thanks to IKEA (no we dont want ply board cabinets) note: There will be a bigger gas pipe to install (along the route of a thinner one that used to run a fridge) and we still need to source an eye level oven and grill

I don't fancy doing it myself as the cabinets will have to be cut to match the walls and chine and i'm hopeless at that sort of thing and being a boat we don't need lots of filler. Old kitchen will need to be removed and there will be some tiling to do. I'm happy to act as a labourer to whomever does it.

If we can find a good fitter and get a smart job done, then they will also get the bathroom to redo as well next year.

Does the list know of any good fitters or fitting companies they can recommend (from experiance) or indeed ones not to go around the peterborough/northampton area

Thanks

Jim and Pat

Having just this spring finished refitting our galley, don't buy anything, untill the fitter has been appointed.(and has understood your ideas)

Most boat sized appliances DON'T fit standard kitchen units!

Only buy from somewhere that accepts returns. (and is easy to get to from the boat)

It will take at least 3 times longer and 1/2 as much again in cost than you think! (most kitchen units now the handles are extra!)

Have work tops with rounded corners (it hurts less than square ones when you bash your hips)

Where is the kitchen bin going to go? (many new boats have no allowance for a bin)

And no I am not able to take another on.

Bod

We need a new kitchen (its not urgent) to replace our tired old one on our boat Bayley's Meadow. Its a job we identified (along with the bathroom) from the start when we bought it in March this year and we were happy to accept it as the rest of the boat is very good.

We have detailed plans and we know what units we need to buy thanks to IKEA (no we dont want ply board cabinets) note: There will be a bigger gas pipe to install (along the route of a thinner one that used to run a fridge) and we still need to source an eye level oven and grill

I don't fancy doing it myself as the cabinets will have to be cut to match the walls and chine and i'm hopeless at that sort of thing and being a boat we don't need lots of filler. Old kitchen will need to be removed and there will be some tiling to do. I'm happy to act as a labourer to whomever does it.

If we can find a good fitter and get a smart job done, then they will also get the bathroom to redo as well next year.

Does the list know of any good fitters or fitting companies they can recommend (from experiance) or indeed ones not to go around the peterborough/northampton area

Thanks

Jim and Pat

Terry on NB Dragon Lady does that sort of thing, He has taken a winter mooring on the River Lark so should be heading your way soon. He was in the building trade and fitted his own boat out several years ago and now cruises all summer and lives onboard.

Be aware that IKEA kitchen units as designed have the back of the cabinets flush with the back of the sides (probably due to their European origin). This makes them rather less tolerant of crooked walls than the more usual UK style where the back of the cabinet is set forward from the back of the sides. This can be overcome but adds an extra complication to the build.

Of course they may have changed the design since I last bought from them!

Be aware that IKEA kitchen units as designed have the back of the cabinets flush with the back of the sides (probably due to their European origin). This makes them rather less tolerant of crooked walls than the more usual UK style where the back of the cabinet is set forward from the back of the sides. This can be overcome but adds an extra complication to the build.

Of course they may have changed the design since I last bought from them!

You will need the "service gap" in the back of the units to enable the angle of the hull to be accounted for.

My colecraft hull needed almost 2 inches of taper cutting, for the hull angle, from the back of the units.

Bod

I would be a bit wary of ikea units....they seem to be made of compressed carboard and don't take kindly to damp environments.....we have a fair bit of ikea stuff in our works unit which can get a bit damp and the shelves are now bowing after about 3 years.......

Cheers

Gareth

Billy Knowles great scouser will travel anywhere in the country.Did a top job on doing some work on our bathroom refurb. Problem is I lost his phone number but I do know someone who has it.................

Great Guy he fitted my Kitchen and came down to Worcester last week to fit new Curtains and Blinds I have his phone number if anyone needs it

Edited by cotswoldsman