What s a boater?

howardang

Featured Posts

The term "boater" seems more wide reaching than its road equivalent, "motorist", which is often used in news reports about the price of fuel etc. For example, one assumes that a motorist actually travels on the road. Not all boaters seem to want to move anywhere, in fact a subset of boaters spend their time on a boat that never moves (except for swaying back and forth with the passing of other boats).

I asked the question because the term is used as if we are all the same, with the same views and aspirations, and yet a quick look at this forum suggests the opposite. So i ask again, what exactly do people understand when the word boater is used? And let's, just as a novelty, take the smart Alec comments as read! :-)

With regard to the "boaters meetings" held so far (and I have attended two so far) they cannot represent more than the personal views of those who take the trouble to attend, but if you want a dialogue with CRT I would suggest that you you are going to have to do one of two things: form a new organisation, which might taKe a long time to become acknowledged by CRT or join an existing one which is accepted as representing at least reasonable proportion of the boating community.

Howard

And there you are back to the fact that existing organisations do not fully represent the variety of boaters or sufficiently for many to be inclined to join them in the hope of improving them. CaRT are happy with the way things are and can carry on regardless. I do not see anything wrong with another subset of boaters, those that are internet savvy using CWDF, interfering as they have and gaining acceptance rather than being shrugged off.

I asked the question because the term is used as if we are all the same, with the same views and aspirations, and yet a quick look at this forum suggests the opposite. So i ask again, what exactly do people understand when the word boater is used? And let's, just as a novelty, take the smart Alec comments as read! :-)

With regard to the "boaters meetings" held so far (and I have attended two so far) they cannot represent more than the personal views of those who take the trouble to attend, but if you want a dialogue with CRT I would suggest that you you are going to have to do one of two things: form a new organisation, which might taKe a long time to become acknowledged by CRT or join an existing one which is accepted as representing at least reasonable proportion of the boating community.

Howard

And there you are back to the fact that existing organisations do not fully represent the variety of boaters or sufficiently for many to be inclined to join them in the hope of improving them. CaRT are happy with the way things are and can carry on regardless. I do not see anything wrong with another subset of boaters, those that are internet savvy using CWDF, interfering as they have and gaining acceptance rather than being shrugged off.

I'm going to be a nuisance again. The discussion about an organisation that would/could interact with CRT is important and needs to take place. Could you take it to a different thread please?

I'm interested to see if we can arrive at some sort of consensus about what a boater may be. This seems to me to be a distinguishing feature of us here on this forum

I'd like to be able to describe what boater means if challenged at the NUF.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I am afraid it may be simplistic but the dictionary definition I gave earlier ticks all the boxes for me. It includes the whole spectrum from those who have a boat and sit on it and never move (are there really such people) through to the continuous cruiser and live aboard. They all either use or travel in boats.

Someone who uses the inland waterways aboard a craft.

Any more than that and you will find resistance as you will be making assumptions about other peoples lives. attitudes, emotions and motives.

Edited by mark99

Any more than that and you will find resistance as you will be making assumptions about other peoples lives. attitudes, emotions and motives.

How do we include those who aspire to use craft on the inland waterways?

I like the simplicity of that though

Richard

A boater is someone who lives on and/ or travels on water. Beyond that she/he is also as complex or simple , diplomatic or autocratic as any other member of society.

Same comment as I made to Mark99. Sounds like we need a bit of an explanation of the simple statement

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a different word than boater

Richard

Err what about those who boat offshore....

It's an easy question.

A boater is someone who boats....

How do we include those who aspire to use craft on the inland waterways?

I like the simplicity of that though

Richard

Same comment as I made to Mark99. Sounds like we need a bit of an explanation of the simple statement

I'm beginning to wonder if we need a different word than boater

Richard

Richard - qualify your description as either a verb, noun or collective noun.

Err what about those who boat offshore....

It's an easy question.

A boater is someone who boats....

This is not about offshore hence the use of inland.

Agreed, because that also includes the "politically" active hirer or share-boater. (ie one who participates in this and/or other forums)

This is not about offshore hence the use of inland.

The OP's title simply asked 'what is a boater?'

And his post didn't exclude people who boat offshore.....

I think the word "CART" in the original post was a clue to the definition required.

So you can only be defind as a boater if you boat on CRT controlled waterways??

What about boaters who boat on EA waterways?? Or those controlled by the broads authority??

Are they not boaters too??

Edited by The Dog House

Sorry Doghouse but imo you are stretching a point to suit your position. Here's a clue - it's a forum called Canalworld and CART was mentioned in the OP.

Are members of this forum who haven't got boats boaters or are they excluded?

I lived on here for years and had no boat but used one (hired loads).

I refer you to previous post - you need to label any definition as a verb, noun or collective noun.

Edited by mark99

My take on the query is that boaters use their boats in different ways, but the common theme is that they have chosen the inland waterways as a way of experiencing nature, history, relaxation and feel an affinity with the setting.

In other words I think it's the setting that defines us not the boat in particular.

Sorry Doghouse but imo you are stretching a point to suit your position. Here's a clue - it's a forum called Canalworld and CART was mentioned in the OP.

What are you on about? I don't have a 'position' I merely responded to the Op pointing out the definition of boater goes wider than those who just boat on waters controlled be CRT.

Btw the forum might be called canal world but the home page clearly refers to inland waterways. Ok not to offshore boating but its often referred to on here.

The op asked for a definition of a boater, I gave mine.

Edited by The Dog House

What are you on about? I don't have a 'position' I merely responded to the Op pointing out the definition of boater goes wider than those who just boat on waters controlled be CRT.

Btw the forum might be called canal world but the home page clearly refers to inland waterways. Ok not to offshore boating but its often referred to on here.

The op asked for a definition of a boater, I gave mine.

Not much use though is it? you define one term out of context (imo) and produce a simple definition so hopeless that begs the further question to clarify your definition as in - what does "who boats" mean?