Stoke Bruerne Visitor Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Managed to find a few minutes so popped up to the tunnel - it's not exactly clear although I think I understand what information they are endeavouring to impart. Maybe it is just the order of the signage that makes it seem odd.

ETA - the building on the left is the Old Stables.

DSC00498.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Managed to find a few minutes so popped up to the tunnel - it's not exactly clear although I think I understand what information they are endeavouring to impart. Maybe it is just the order of the signage that makes it seem odd.

ETA - the building on the left is the Old Stables.

DSC00498.jpg

Maybe someone should ask CaRT and while they are at it point out that mooring restrictions following a show are not required. A lot of these people have no boating experience and work from plans just like installing "No Fish" notices where there are overhead cables, what matter if the cable is the other side of the bridge, its on the plan.

Our boat is at Stoke Bruerne at the moment and our friends who have borrowed her have just told us they have had no problem mooring, "lots of space".

At about 10:00 AM this morning, other than the trip boat "Charlie" and "Sculptor" the only boats moored tow-path side anywhere between the lock and the tunnel were the Josher pair "Kestrel" & "Northolt".

There was not one single normal leisure boat, or hire boat anywhere on that stretch by then, (although I acknowledge a couple had just moved off).

At about 10:00 AM this morning, other than the trip boat "Charlie" and "Sculptor" the only boats moored tow-path side anywhere between the lock and the tunnel were the Josher pair "Kestrel" & "Northolt".There was not one single normal leisure boat, or hire boat anywhere on that stretch by then, (although I acknowledge a couple had just moved off).

Alan 'change over day' today. Kestrel and Northolt are still there as is Odessey (who was up your way). Sculptor and Charlie are I imagine regarded as resident.

ETA - I am surprised how many Wyvern Shipping and Black Prince boats are around seeing it is not, to the best of my knowledge, half term yet. But being single it may well be that I've missed half term!

Edited by Leo No2

Yes there are LOTS of Wyverns out today, (there were 4 in a row, all pointing South on the moorings below the bottom lock for example).

smiley_offtopic.gif

However .he most remarkable hire boat spot of the day though was the Alvechurch one that made it to Fenny Stratford lock after we had arrived there, with a crew with absolutely no idea what to do, and a steerer that was seriously unable to control the boat, (and I really do mean totally clueless!).

How on earth they had made it through Blisworth tunnel and down the Stoke Bruerne flight, I can't imagine, as a lock with a 1 foot rise seemed completely beyond their capabilities.

Yes there are LOTS of Wyverns out today, (there were 4 in a row, all pointing South on the moorings below the bottom lock for example).

:smiley_offtopic:

However .he most remarkable hire boat spot of the day though was the Alvechurch one that made it to Fenny Stratford lock after we had arrived there, with a crew with absolutely no idea what to do, and a steerer that was seriously unable to control the boat, (and I really do mean totally clueless!).

How on earth they had made it through Blisworth tunnel and down the Stoke Bruerne flight, I can't imagine, as a lock with a 1 foot rise seemed completely beyond their capabilities.

They came to Stoke Bruerne on Monday evening just as it was getting dark. There were three boats following them out of the tunnel - apparently they 'hit every second brick' and came through the moored boats here on three quarter throttle until I suggested they slow down. They arrived at the top lock and asked how it worked; they didn't seem to think they had a windlass. They spent the night on the lock waiting area above the top lock after having spent most of the evening in the Boat Inn. They toddled off at about 09:00 yesterday morning seemingly having found their windlass. Quite worrying really.

We moored there last night, including ourselves there were about 6 leisure boats moored between the locks and the tunnel. I didn't reckon that was actually too unusual for this time of year.

I had the opportunity to ask the mooring warden some innocent questions and was disappointed that she deliberately gave me a great deal of misinformation, apparently attempting to bend the new rules to suit some personal agenda of her own. For example she was adamant that if I were to spend 48 hours on the 2 day moorings above the locks, then I would have used up my entire mooring allowance and must immediately leave the Stoke Bruerne area entirely.

I will be entering into some strongly-worded dialogue with CRT about this.

I had the opportunity to ask the mooring warden some innocent questions and was disappointed that she deliberately gave me a great deal of misinformation, apparently attempting to bend the new rules to suit some personal agenda of her own.

Was this a volunteer "Ranger" Allan, or a permanent member of CRT staff, please?

I'll do an update next Friday evening as from next Saturday I am away for a few days bringing Leo No2 up the GU to Stoke Bruerne. It will take a while as I am single-handing having been let down for crewing. If anyone down the lower GU sees me and would like a day out helping I'd be most grateful. I suppose at the outside it is going to take me a week or so - leaving the Wey on Monday 30-September for the 12:57 tide on Tuesday at Teddington. I'll resume normal service after that.

There were a large number of Wyvern Shipping and Black Prince boats at the beginning of the week. All the Village at War boats have gone with the exception of Kestrel and Northolt who left Saturday afternoon. We also had two wide beam Hotel Boats here on Thursday/Friday. I know they serve a very useful purpose but they don't exactly look elegant from the outside in my view.

Saturday's results are skewed a little by the arrival this afternoon of the Whilton Marina Cruising Club for their annual trip to Stoke Bruerne - about half a dozen boats. It's things like this that it is important to note and make understanding the information easier. We used to call it 'the knowledge database'; there will always be things which skew results which are out of the norm and need to be explained when looking at the results.

SBVM.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Was this a volunteer "Ranger" Allan, or a permanent member of CRT staff, please?

She was a permanent staff member, I will not name her here but her her initials were JL, reporting to Julia Moore.

Another boater, who had witnessed the conversation, joined in and said that he had been given similar misinformation by a volunteer at Foxton. The person to whom we were speaking (and who was by now backing off slightly, realising that I knew what I was talking about, and saying that it was a "grey area" that needed some "clarification") said that she had also had problems with volunteers giving out the wrong information.

My complaint to Julia Moore and Jeff Whyatt will be in their email boxes on Monday morning - I will let you know what response I get.

Have CRT introduced all these changes at other locations....or is it just this location which has led to so much confusion, misinformation, and confusing signs. I know that I, for one, would simply bypass all of this "restriction nonsence" and just moor at the next village instead.

Have CRT introduced all these changes at other locations....or is it just this location which has led to so much confusion, misinformation, and confusing signs. I know that I, for one, would simply bypass all of this "restriction nonsence" and just moor at the next village instead.

They are trialling them at 3 locations in the southeast. One problem is that deliberate misinformation (generated by various people who have a variety of personal agenda) is causing many boaters to adopt your approach and "go to the next village" which is having a disastrous effect on the trade at the villages concerned, especially Stoke Bruerne.

A bit more than just a "warden" then.

She should surely know ?

Indeed she should - if her briefing has been according to the agreed principles. I only asked her the questions because at least 3 other boaters had told me, independently, that this was the way that the rules were being implemented. Her responses to my questions left me in no doubt that she had been comprehensively briefed and that she knew exactly what she was doing. The one good thing was that our conversation was amicable and not at all confrontational - which of course helped me glean a lot more information, which I will not make public but will include in my complaint.

Just a quick update. I received an email from Julia Moore, apologising if confusing information has been given out. She says that she will be meeting the officer concerned later this week and will check that she is fully conversant with the new arrangements.

She says that there will be reviews of progress, including the understanding and communication by the staff and volunteers at each site, together with reviews of the clarity of the leaflets and other information. I have made a few suggestions for issues that could be addressed at these reviews.

Just been for a walk this evening and find that the moorings between the Museum Green and the southern portal of the tunnel are just 19% full and the 'long term' average is around 66% going back to 9-Aug-13.

As we are moving into a period of less boating activity, longer evenings and, dare I say, slightly colder and may be wetter weather is there a pressing need to continue to keep track of the occupancy rate or has the 'point' been proved to the satisfaction of those who may wish to use this information.

I am away collecting my boat from this weekend and I'll be 10 days or so bringing it home so we'll have a gap in the information but I suppose the question I am trying to get to is there a need to continue to record the data during the Autumn/winter?

Edited by Leo No2

Surely we should shortly be moving into the period where it was firmly agreed at the workshops that there is no pressure on moorings, and hence all short stay limits could be defaulted back to 14 days for the winter?

Isn't it a shame that, despite that agreement, none of the signs actually says that!

If you have not yet had your meet with Jeff Whyatt, perhaps you can ask him why this is?

Had my survey from CRT today, I dont think I need to say what I put in it. Possibly the battle now subsides until 2014, when it will start all over.

Personally I will not let anything rest to next year if , after all that was agreed, I hear any attempt is made to enforce those moorings as having a £25 per day overstay charge after the first two days during the winter months.

It was firmly agreed this was not sensible, so I really hope the lack of reference to waiving the 2 day maximum on the signs doesn't indicate any hidden agenda that they actually do intend to enforce anyone who stays longer in winter.

I hate people going back on any agreement, and would urge your new association to put the pressure on them if they try to do so. Perhaps even some compliant CC-ers would like to spend more than two days there in the winter months when there is no question there is adequate space for all?

Edited by alan_fincher

Personally I will not let anything rest to next year if , after all that was agreed, I hear any attempt is yade to enforce those moorings as having a £25 per day overstay charge after the first two days during the winter months.

It was firmly agreed this was not sensible, so I really hope the lack of reference to waiving the 2 day maximum on the signs doesn't indicate any hidden agenda that they actually do intend to enforce anyone who stays longer in winter.

I hate people going back on any agreement, and would urge your new association to put the pressure on them if they try to do so. Perhaps even some compliant CC-ers would like to spend more than two days there in the winter months when there is no question there is adequate space for all?

I believe the winter months deal will be adhered to, they confirmed it with NABO on the 10th. There is also another workshop planned for November, so we shall have to wait and see if we are invited ;-)

Surely we should shortly be moving into the period where it was firmly agreed at the workshops that there is no pressure on moorings, and hence all short stay limits could be defaulted back to 14 days for the winter?

Isn't it a shame that, despite that agreement, none of the signs actually says that!

If you have not yet had your meet with Jeff Whyatt, perhaps you can ask him why this is?

I was rather waiting for Jeff to get his feet under the table on his return from his holiday. I'll drop him a line and try and make an arrangement to meet.

notes of our recent meeting with CRT where SEVM were discussed are on the NABO website. It was clearly stated that restrictions would be lifted as discussed at the forums. I can not as yet confirm how that might manifest itself from a signage perspective.