Printers On A Boat

Biggles

Featured Posts

I am looking for recommendations on a printer to have on board.

Here are my needs (I think)

1. Needs to be small and colour but not for photo quality printing.

2. Needs top be addressable on WiFi and by cable by PC (lappy) Chromebook, iPad, and if possible Samsung Android phone but not essential.

3. Ideally would need to be able to scan and work as a fax over wireless 3g connection even if using a 3rd party service.

4. Not have obscene ink/toner replacement costs with singularly replaceable colours,

5. Would have duplex printing

I have a stonking all singing dancing colour laser at my hom officee but its the size of a bed side cabinet so not practical for the boat where now I spend more time and need to conduct some business correspondence. I have a remote office service provider who will print and post my PDF created letters but it would be nice to be able on occasions to do it local.

Price not too important but I never like paying more than is needed.

Because of

do not get a lexxmark.

although they tick the boxes on all other categories.

why oh why do the cartridges turn themselves iff when still half full. Amazed no-one has found a way round this yet on the tinterweb.

Agree with this.

I once replaced a Lexmark printer as it was cheaper to replace it with an Epson than buy a complete set of genuine cartridges. I hung on to it and gave it to my daughter when the copy/pattern cartridges became available.

Stupidly expensive!!!

One of my printers is a Canon MG5350. Multifuntion with good print quality. Uses separate ink cartridges which whilst a silly price from Canon can be used with clones. Make sure they have the right chip in - mine are from Amazon, a third of the price for a set of five and work fine. The printer uses a separate black for text to the black used for colour. Costs about £70. Set of five inks about £10.

why oh why do the cartridges turn themselves iff when still half full. Amazed no-one has found a way round this yet on the tinterweb.

So that they can sell you more ridiculously expensive ink of course! I don't know about Lexmark, but for Epson cartridges you can, for some types get a gadget that resets the chip and for others, buy a new chip for a couple of quid.

I use an Epson SX range all in one printer copier scanner. It has a four cartridge system with no nozzles in the cartridge. . I have a chip resetter and refill them with ink all time time. Since they are only reservoirs there is no image degradation over time. Therefore cheap to run. I had to buy the initial rellacement refillable cartridges and chip resetter from the ink supplier but not expensive

I am looking for recommendations on a printer to have on board.

Here are my needs (I think)

1. Needs to be small and colour but not for photo quality printing.

2. Needs top be addressable on WiFi and by cable by PC (lappy) Chromebook, iPad, and if possible Samsung Android phone but not essential.

3. Ideally would need to be able to scan and work as a fax over wireless 3g connection even if using a 3rd party service.

4. Not have obscene ink/toner replacement costs with singularly replaceable colours,

5. Would have duplex printing

I have a stonking all singing dancing colour laser at my hom officee but its the size of a bed side cabinet so not practical for the boat where now I spend more time and need to conduct some business correspondence. I have a remote office service provider who will print and post my PDF created letters but it would be nice to be able on occasions to do it local.

Price not too important but I never like paying more than is needed.

I recently got an Epson XP-800. Its pretty small for what it does, although the printer is perhaps unnecessarily "photo quality" they all seem to be like that these days. It has a document feeder for multi-page scanning, and duplex printing. So far, no paper jams. Individual ink cartridges and you can get a refillable cartridge kit (not Epson of course). It does have fax capability but would need a phone line. Not sure you would get one that doesn't need a phone line, but aren't there web services that allow you to send a fax by the web to a server somewhere, and it then sends the fax down the phone from its servers? Edited by nicknorman

I've actually got a Lexmark and agree that cartridge costs are high but it was the only printer I could find that would fit into the only spare storage space.

When I had a house and a business we always had Canon.

Regards

Pete