Permanent Mooring?

patty-ann

Featured Posts

Perplexed n Puzzled

Hi, I have just visited Whilton Marina an search of that ever illusive "perfect" narrow boat when I happened to get into a conversation with a couple who had just put in an offer having found their ideal boat.

Mr ? advised me that in Stratford once you have paid your licence fee you do not have to pay anything for permanent mooring. That Stratford and neighbouring councils aim to construct huge "basins" designed for permanent moorers and it'll be free. That the increased licence fee is aimed to cover cost of moorings and its designed to boost tourist trade as these basins will have shops etc.

Now my family have always regarded me as the gullible type who believes all she is told, this doesn't really have the ring of truth but then I dunno as I am just learning all this.

Nearly found my boat--a 3 year old probuild, went to ask to look around but sold. The welding on these boats seems first class.

Perplexed n Puzzled

Hi, I have just visited Whilton Marina an search of that ever illusive "perfect" narrow boat when I happened to get into a conversation with a couple who had just put in an offer having found their ideal boat.

Mr ? advised me that in Stratford once you have paid your licence fee you do not have to pay anything for permanent mooring. That Stratford and neighbouring councils aim to construct huge "basins" designed for permanent moorers and it'll be free. That the increased licence fee is aimed to cover cost of moorings and its designed to boost tourist trade as these basins will have shops etc.

Now my family have always regarded me as the gullible type who believes all she is told, this doesn't really have the ring of truth but then I dunno as I am just learning all this.

Nearly found my boat--a 3 year old probuild, went to ask to look around but sold. The welding on these boats seems first class.

You are right to suspect that this is a tall tale

It be Stratford-upon-Avon and he talked about the Daily Mail article. He'd even planned where he would be mooring.

Re "guillible"--no I didn't know, though don't expect it'll stop my bunch.

Sorry I hadn't appreciated it was from such an authoritative source.

It's true.

(Winkys no worky on Nexus 7)

It is actually not total fiction. Take a look at Stratford councils web site Look for "Canal Quarter" starting on page 9 of the document.

I can't see the bit where it says moorings will be free though. It might he something they aspire to construct but surely the concept of free moorings in a prime location like Stratford is just not achievable.

I can't see the bit where it says moorings will be free though. It might he something they aspire to construct but surely the concept of free moorings in a prime location like Stratford is just not achievable.

I agree it being free you would have thought unlikely. But the concept of a scheme proposal seems real enough.

I agree it being free you would have thought unlikely. But the concept of a scheme proposal seems real enough.

Indeed. But the main thrust in the OP seemed to be the concept of free moorings which is clearly not the case.

Council strategies like this keep people in jobs writing them but invariably achieve little.

guess I will remain "perplexed n puzzled" for a while yet, not that it really matters as not intending to try permanent mooring in Shakespeare land to many tourists touring around. Give me peace n quiet of the countryside any day.

• 2 weeks later...