Horror Stories

DeanS

Featured Posts

Do any of you have horror stories that would make us all shudder at the thought....boatie stories.....like the one where a guy believed his neighbour was filling his water tank, when in fact he had a hold through to the canal, and he was drinking canal water for months without knowing?

Funny horror stories would be better, but anything thats makes us all go "cor blimey" will do. There's been far to much squabbling lately, and some good stories should swing the forum back in the right directlon.

• Greenie 1

There's a thread on Reddit on 'the best horror story you can come up with in two lines'. One superb entry from someone with the username 'JustAnotherMuffledVo' which absolutely chilled me in just two lines:

I begin tucking him into bed and he tells me, “Daddy check for monsters under my bed.” I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, “Daddy there’s somebody on my bed.”

I spent a night at a friends home...sat watching telly till late and then made my way to bed in their spare room....without switching on any lights. When I was in bed, my eyes became accustomed to the light, and I saw a dark figure looming over the end of the bed. I froze in terror, and started to pray...a natural activity when you think a dark force is visiting you..lol. The dark figure didnt move...just stood at the end of my bed...watching me...not saying anything.... I didnt know what to do.....After some time...I picked up the courage to jump out of bed and switch the lights on.

at the end of the bed...I saw....

a dressmakers manoquin.

The spare room is where they did the sewing.

When I was a schoolboy I worked for pocket money for a grocers and once a month all the Wavyline grocery offers leaflets had to be ink stamped with the grocers name and address. I was given these hundreds of wretched leaflets along with a rubber stamp and ink pad to take home, stamp and to deliver them.

We had an ancient round table at home which I sat at to stamp the leaflets After stamping for about half an hour, thud-thud, thud-thud, thud-thud, thud-thud, I stopped for a rest to stretch my arms and low and behold the same thudding noise with the table vibrating to it continued although the stamp, ink pad and leaflets were not moving at all. It really scared me and I shouted out to my mum and sister in the kitchen nearby and they also could hear it, at first they thought I was still stamping. Thud-thud thud-thud thud-thud thud-thud. Very strange.

Not got good enough access to find it at mo but Dave Allan's story of how he lost the top off his finger is brilliantly done.

This one?........

"... Many years ago I was rather foolish. We were in the west coast of Ireland and we were in a barn and we'd had a couple of drinks and somebody started to talk about the unknown and the spirit world.

And the conversation came up about the gravedigger's house and the locals started to tell us about it. This gravedigger was found in his bed, dead, with terrible marks on his neck and his eyes wide open. The doctor said the marks had nothing to do with his death but that the man had died of fright. And... I scoffed, foolishly.

And it came about with a few more drinks that I accepted a dare or a bet that I would stay the night in the cottage beside the graveyard. I went there and we agreed that the door would be locked and I would stay in there until first light and I was locked in.

I don't know really what happens but I think a great deal of fear is in one's mind. It was dank. It was cold. The effects of the booze began to wear off and I began to think, "What in the name of God are you doing here?" And I felt... I don't know what it was. It was an instinct. It was something stronger than me pulled me towards this bed where this man had died. And I was drawn... I fought against it but I was drawn nearer and nearer to this bed. And I was told somehow or other to sit on that bed. I didn't want to... and I did. An unnatural drowsiness came over me and I became very sleepy... and I lay down knowing full well that I shouldn't... and I went to sleep. A limbo sleep

I awoke. What time I have no idea. The candle had burnt down. It was black. It was cold and I felt a presence. I was completely sober by then and utterly terrified. The hackles on the back of my neck had begun to rise. I was paralysed by a presence of fear. I felt something on my chest begin to move. It crept slowly up my chest... and I couldn't move. It came closer and closer to my throat. I gathered all my willpower... as this thing came closer... and nearer... and I grabbed it! And it was wet and cold and I bit it! Aaaaaagh!!! I screamed in pain!

And that is how I lost my finger."

Another non boaty one.

Night duty as a student nurse at Middlesbrough General Hospital, late 70's

About 2 am

Three of us in the ward office, all the patients sound asleep.

Approaching footsteps as clear as a bell we could all hear them and as we were expecting night sister to do her rounds so not out of the ordinary.

They got closer and closer to the open office door and we all stood up as was the 'custom' back then and as we turned to the door sure she was there...................

Not a soul.... zilch.

We all heard them, I went out the office to investigate, no body there at all, no body hiding playing a practical joke....... no body at all.

Night Sister turned up a little later having being held up on another ward.

I don't believe in the after life or ghosts but to this day I still cannot explain it.

We wnt on a family holiday to Germany and we took the car from Blighty all the way there by ferry. And on the way to where we were staying, since it was so late, i fell asleep in the back seat. Once we arrived and settled in i was told of what happned in the car on the way there. What had happened is that my dad, being tired himself, had ended up driving on the wrong side of the road going up the windy mountain roads in pitch black. And i suddenly shouted out 'you're on the wrong side of the road' and sure enough my dad quickly relaised and moved back over. Not a few seconds later a car came round the hairpin the other way and just missed us. I was fast asleep and snoring and lying down on the seat with my nose wedged firmly into the fold between the chairs.

Again, not boat related, but some years ago I was working alone in a big old house which stood in its own grounds with a long private driveway and no neighbouring properties and though I'm not easily spooked I did feel a little unsettled by it. I had been told that the former owners had moved out because the wife did not feel comfortable there, though nothing specific was mentioned.

Anyway, I was occupied upstairs in one of the bedrooms when I heard a voice downstairs calling "hello, hello, hello...". Thinking this was maybe a delivery or something I went straight downstairs to investigate, but there was no-one around. There was no vehicle in the drive and all the doors were still closed. I was convinced that there must still be someone in the house so went through all the rooms but I was the only person there. I was about to resume my work when I noticed a mirror above the fireplace in the sitting room on which, in the dust, the word "Hello" had been written.

My rational mind tells me that this was some sort of practical joke, but I was very pleased to finish the job and get away from that place.

To arrive back to your securely locked up home or boat after a day out or holiday to discover that your beds warm as if someones just got out of it.

Happens all the time. It's the bloody dog!

I have two boat related ones, which I think was Dean's idea.

One. Just bought the boat, went for pump out. Operative caused a river of sh*t to flow through the boat and into the bilges. I didn't even get a sorry from the company.

Two. Picked up a boat from a marina near Wakefield. I'm sat by stove, which has already dropped the throat plate onto the fire and the glass out the door onto the floor. I happen to look up at the kitchen to see Ellie disappear into a giant orange fireball. The hob had been re-jetted for lpg but the idiot who'd done it had only replaced 3 of the 4 jets.

About 20 years ago, while still at university, I had a part-time job in a solicitors' office: running errands, fetching and carrying boxes of files from storage, and what have you. It was a nice family firm, and I enjoyed working there. The office was in one of those old Victorian three-story terraces, with a shop downstairs, living quarters on the first floor, and a billet on the top floor, only accessible by a flight of steps in the back yard. The shop and the first floor had been long converted into offices for the solicitors and support staff, and the billet was where files were stored when they were no longer "live" (this usually meant that they would sit in an office for months, then I would be told to take them upstairs, and then a week later I'd be told to fetch them back...). I became intimately familiar with the that two-story flight of steps outside, as I would go up and down it several times a week. There were stacks of boxes around the wall, and a few low piles of boxes in the middle of the room, stacked about waist-high.

On one occasion, actually shortly before I finished working there (due to impending finals), I was staggering up the stairs with two boxes of paperwork, in a very un-Health-and-Safety manner. I was half way up the second flight when someone hurtled past me from behind, leaping up the stairs like nobody's business. I very nearly dropped the boxes, and was rather preoccupied with not sending them over the railing to land in the yard below, so I didn't pay any attention to who it was. When I had stabilised my load, I hurried upstairs to give whoever it was a tongue-lashing. As I had already been up and down to the store room twice in the last few minutes, the door was unlocked and wide open. I went inside.

There was nobody there. I looked around to see if someone was hiding behind one of the piles in the middle of the room: nobody. I opened the door into the bathroom (which contained the usual offices, all long un-plumbed, and nothing else): nobody. At this point I suddenly realised that I hadn't heard the sound of footsteps when the person passed me, and whoever it was didn't actually touch me either, even though the staircase was only just wide enough for two people to pass. I scarpered out of the store room pretty quickly, I can tell you. I waited in the yard for a few minutes until I had stopped trembling, and then went back into the office. I must have looked pretty awful, because everyone asked me if I was feeling ok. I made some noises about feeling a bit sick - I certainly wasn't going to tell them what I had saw.

I am an open-minded sceptic about ghosts and the like, but that experience still occasionally troubles me today.