Anyone Been Down The Nene Lately ?

Top cat

Featured Posts

My information is a couple of weeks out of date, and I didn't check the pumpout stations as we're cassette based, but anyway. The station at Northampton appears to be defunct. The floating pontoons have gone. I guess the new marina might be an alternatibe: ask Smudge of this parish who's in charge there now. Irthlingborogh facilities are still closed, but the water and elsan at Wellingborough were good, there's a pumpout there and I saw nothing to say it wasn't functioning. Similarly at Peterbrough.

Levels and flow were low two weeks ago, they're probably very different now. The arm was fine from a weed point-of-view, but the Northampton washlands were horrible.

MP.

Pump out is now working in the marina, water levels are normal and (we haven't been to check but) I would have thought that the deluge of rain has cleared most of the weed, we've had a few visitors from downstream and weed wasn't mentioned so we take that as a good sign!

PF (Smudge's missus)

I was just wondering whether the pumpout stations at Northampton Irthingborouh and Peterborough were still operational ?

What are water levels like

We were there a couple of weeks ago.

Not aware of a pump out at Northampton, although there is probably one in the marina. We used the pump out at the marina at the top of the locks on the Northampton am canal (£15).

The pump out at Irthingborough has not worked for some time. Some kind of dispute about who should pay for its upkeep.

The pump out at Wellingborough is now fixed, but is no longer free. It needs a pump out card.

The pump out at Peterborough works ( or did two weeks ago) and is free.

We did not find weed a problem and the when cruise was a delight, although planning for overnight moorings and services is required. Enjoy your trip.

Regards

Thanks TC

The moorings at Cogenhoe on the left before the lock (going downstream) now sport very neat signs declaring them to be private land and promising prosecution for any-one trespassing. No-one was, when we passed.

Sorry.

MP.

The moorings at Cogenhoe on the left before the lock (going downstream) now sport very neat signs declaring them to be private land and promising prosecution for any-one trespassing. No-one was, when we passed.

Sorry.

MP.

Oh dear that was such a nice spot. Are there any moorings at the next lock down Whiston ?

TC

Thanks guys

I'm now deep into planning the trip planning to stop at

Cogenhoe

Irthlingborough

Waldenhoe

Elton

Overton lake

Hopefully there are no issues with those places

Regards

TC

Nip in and see us at Northampton marina, our pumpouts working and so is Wellingbough, as for the weed nobody has mentioned it since that rain so im thinking its not to bad

Sorry.

MP.

i will ask our river inspector about that, cos im sure there are supposed to be moorings there

Nip in and see us at Northampton marina, our pumpouts working and so is Wellingbough, as for the weed nobody has mentioned it since that rain so im thinking its not to bad

i will ask our river inspector about that, cos im sure there are supposed to be moorings there

Whats the charge for an overnight mooring there?

Edited by ditch paddler

And there should be room in Blackthorn Lake Marina, as Clive has just installed more pontoons where cruisers can moor up, thus freeing up narrowboat moorings.

Also quite a few of the resident moorers have gone cruising so there should be plenty of room

:) A big 'thumbs up' for Ringstead from moi as...... a lovely tearoom and a fabulous Water wheel, with yummy food and wonderful staff, and welcoming, friendly moorers and Clive is an absolute star, helped me out no end when I was there blacking my boat. Plus Blackthorn Marina is so tranquil with pretty scenery and you can walk from there to the cafe at Ringstead along the river path and then the unused railway track. :)