Cranfleet Flood Lock Closed

bozlite

Featured Posts

But only on the EA's say so.

Ask them if you wish.

They will only say the same.

Whilst CRT are responsible for the navigation side of these rivers it is still the EA who are responsible for flood prevention.

I still think you are wrong. In Grahams house is a river level sensor. When it rings he closes the flood gates. In Daves house I think he has the same. Been there since Pontious was a pilot. But, just in case I am wrong I will ring Graham and ask him. .

But only on the EA's say so.

Ask them if you wish.

They will only say the same.

Whilst CRT are responsible for the navigation side of these rivers it is still the EA who are responsible for flood prevention.

Yup. Just checked. CRT decision at Cranfleet and Sawley, not EA. EA at Shardlow though and at Colwick /Holme Lock Edited by jelunga

Seeing this reminded me that Dave at Sawley was bitching saying that now he's been moved onto bankstaff he wouldn't be able to operate the floodgates as quick. It would either be done be the nearest CRT operative or (possibly) by the volunteer on duty. Still be CRT's decision and responsibility though.

Off the record, CRT and EA staff (apparently) don't always see eye to eye and, as it is CRT's responsibility, the EA wants nothing to do with it and CRT doesn't want them to anyway.

Regards,

Lockie.

Edited by Lockie Junior

Any comments Rachel...

Hi

To be fair to Rachel.she is quite right in the fact that the Ea are in control of the serious stuff such as the enormous five sluice gates at Holme lock for instance and the piddly stuff such as Sawley is left to CART. I have a 24 hour 365 number for the Ea as we need it at work.

Tim

Hi

To be fair to Rachel.she is quite right in the fact that the Ea are in control of the serious stuff such as the enormous five sluice gates at Holme lock for instance and the piddly stuff such as Sawley is left to CART. I have a 24 hour 365 number for the Ea as we need it at work.

Tim

Trouble is she was assuming that other waterways operated the same as the ones she's familiar with.

When you assume you make an ass of you and me (I learnt that at about the same age as Rachael - it's not big deal - learn from it and move on :))

Seeing this reminded me that Dave at Sawley was bitching saying

Off the record, CRT and EA staff (apparently) don't always see eye to eye and, as it is CRT's responsibility, the EA wants nothing to do with it and CRT doesn't want them to anyway.

Regards,

Lockie.

Not as well as you though!

Hi

Tim

The fact is she is so bum sure about everything and when she's proved wrong there is never an apology, just silence until the next time...........

The real point here is not so much who's decision it is, or who physically closes the gate, but that the navigation has been closed and you would expect something on CRT's stoppages. The issue I think is more to do with this being a weekend and the stoppages don't seem to get updated at the weekend, which seems quite a poor process.

Hi

Tim

But we weren't talking the serious stuff we were talking the gates at Cranfleet which are very similar to the gates at Sawley, which as far as I know are indeed managed by CRT. I could see no logical reason why the Cranfleet ones would be managed by the EA, but she was so insistent I thought it better that others who may actually know for sure confirm or otherwise - it seems it's otherwise.

The real point here is not so much who's decision it is, or who physically closes the gate, but that the navigation has been closed and you would expect something on CRT's stoppages. The issue I think is more to do with this being a weekend and the stoppages don't seem to get updated at the weekend, which seems quite a poor process.

I agree this was a point I made further up, it is a CRT weakness that stoppages do not get updated on a weekend or bank holiday, particularly when this is when a lot of people actually go boating!!.

As I understand how it works they are centrally co-ordinated for the posting on the web site/sending out of the emails and these staff do not work weekends and bank holidays. So even if local staff dealing with an issue have to put a stoppage in place there is no one for them to let know to post it up. (I'm open to correction on this if anybody knows different)

For me it is not beyond the wit of man to have a member of staff 'on call' for stoppages to be fed to by phone call and for them to initiate the email/stoppages notice on the web site. With the right kit/software they could even do it remotely from the office.

Stoppage posted this morning -

Waterway: Upper Trent »
From 29/07/2013 until further notice
Due to the Upper Trent going into flood, we have had to close Cranfleet Flood Gates, and so the navigation is closed until further notice.
We apologise for the inconvenience which may be caused.
Please check our website for regular updates on the flood situation.
Boaters are asked not to travel through the lock while the navigation is in flood.

I agree this was a point I made further up, it is a CRT weakness that stoppages do not get updated on a weekend or bank holiday, particularly when this is when a lot of people actually go boating!!.

For me it is not beyond the wit of man to have a member of staff 'on call' for stoppages to be fed to by phone call and for them to initiate the email/stoppages notice on the web site. With the right kit/software they could even do it remotely from the office.

Perhaps they could use their Twitter account - might be a better use of it than this:

6caf77a01fc2c53fe582325e328c4e9a_zpsd07a

Anyway - thank you all for the useful information (and the odd bit of misinformation). CRT are tolerant of people overstaying on a visitors' mooring in these circumstances, I assume? Just for a day or two?

Perhaps they could use their Twitter account - might be a better use of it than this:

Anyway - thank you all for the useful information (and the odd bit of misinformation). CRT are tolerant of people overstaying on a visitors' mooring in these circumstances, I assume? Just for a day or two?

Normally yes - they are fine, they understand if you can't move because of of flooding you just can't move.

We were once hemmed in for a good few days by floods in Castleford cut on the VM's there (48 hours) and got no truck from CRT. Others seem to say the same on here too.

I think the twitter idea is a good one but should be in addition to what they currently do (I rarely 'tweet!!) - it would still need somebody out of hours to do the tweets on a weekend and bank holidays which as I understand is at the root of the problem of them not being issued then.

We were once hemmed in for a good few days by floods in Castleford cut on the VM's there (48 hours) and got no truck from CRT. Others seem to say the same on here too.

But that's good isn't it? Surely its more of a problem when CRT do send a truck - and a crane. :)

You don't have a choice and can only stay put. However I think cranfleet cut is a 14,day mooring anyway.

Yes - just checked on Waterscape and that is correct - so should defo. be OK if that is where the OP is.

Not as well as you though!

Ehhh?

If you're suggesting I was bitching in that post, then I don't think I was, or certainly wasn't intending to. I was just recalling an earlier conversation with a CRT colleague.

The 'bitching' bit was meant as tongue in cheek BTW, though he was genuinely upset he had to change roles after so many years. All CRT staff like to bitch about things (sometimes in good humour, sometimes not).

Lockie.

To be fair that is the general Twitter account from CRT, so expect general stuff. There are more specific ones such as "CRT Customer Service" and "CRT WEST MIDLANDS" who have tweeted this.

1up.png

The issue I have is really that none of this info got out until Monday morning.

Edited by john6767

To be fair that is the general Twitter account from CRT, so expect general stuff. There are more specific ones such as "CRT Customer Service" and "CRT WEST MIDLANDS" who have tweeted this.

1up.png

The issue I have is really that none of this info got out until Monday morning.

Unfortunately the East Midlands one isn't that useful - more of a marketing thing. Perhaps, over time, they'll get more of their frontline staff involved in posting updates.

There will be no apology from me as there is no need.

CRT are responsible for navigation and EA are responsible for water and flood management.

CRT staff may operate the gates but it will be at parameters set by the EA.

If a property is flooded it isn't CRT who are contacted it is the EA as it is their responsibility to manage river levels and prevent wherever possible flooding to property.

There will be no apology from me as there is no need.

CRT are responsible for navigation and EA are responsible for water and flood management.

CRT staff may operate the gates but it will be at parameters set by the EA.

If a property is flooded it isn't CRT who are contacted it is the EA as it is their responsibility to manage river levels and prevent wherever possible flooding to property.

Well I for one think this -

y

In this case why should they?

It's the ea that shut the flood gates!

Is very much at odds with what you have just posted - and actually does reinforce that CRT should initiate the stoppage notice as I originally said and the original poster expected and as of course they did this morning.

Edited by The Dog House

Ehhh?

If you're suggesting I was bitching in that post, then I don't think I was,yes i did or certainly wasn't intending to.ok I was just recalling an earlier conversation with a CRT colleague.

The 'bitching' bit was meant as tongue in cheek BTW as long as we know , though he was genuinely upset he had to change roles after so many yearsyes he is. All CRT staff like to bitch about things (sometimes in good humour, sometimes not)I know.

Lockie.