Oxford Angst

larryjc

Featured Posts

I'll try no to make this a rant but we just got off the Thames and onto the Oxford and have come a little way past Thrupp. We've found a spot near the boatyard at Enslow Mill. I know this is a narrow canal and one of the oldest but does that mean it has to be almost completely given over to permanent moorings?? Apart from the fact that you have to travel for miles at tickover every time we saw a spot to stop there was the inevitable 'mooring permit holders only' sign. The Thames was bad enough with no mooring signs everywhere but we thought that by getting back on the cut things would improve - its worse. Ok there is a lot of spare bank but its completely overgrown and most places we tried to approach we went aground too far out. Please someone tell me it gets better as we go North or we will be turning around.

• Greenie 1

I'll try no to make this a rant but we just got off the Thames and onto the Oxford and have come a little way past Thrupp. We've found a spot near the boatyard at Enslow Mill. I know this is a narrow canal and one of the oldest but does that mean it has to be almost completely given over to permanent moorings?? Apart from the fact that you have to travel for miles at tickover every time we saw a spot to stop there was the inevitable 'mooring permit holders only' sign. The Thames was bad enough with no mooring signs everywhere but we thought that by getting back on the cut things would improve - its worse. Ok there is a lot of spare bank but its completely overgrown and most places we tried to approach we went aground too far out. Please someone tell me it gets better as we go North or we will be turning around.

Once you get to Wigan it's fine........

Please someone tell me it gets better as we go North or we will be turning around.

It does, but not a lot, until you get well past Banbury. Or Cropredy to be more precise.

Which waterways are you accustomed to cruising, given you seem taken aback by the density of use on the southern Oxford?

MtB

Please someone tell me it gets better as we go North or we will be turning around.

Yes, it gets better as you go North. For a start, the South Oxford is one of the prettiest canals in the country. For another thing, there are, as the wise Boilerchap attests, plenty of pleasant rural moorings from Banbury onwards (and a fair few non-rural ones in Banbury itself).

One word of warning: do not bank on mooring at Cropredy any time soon, as the village and its immediate environs are filling up with boats arriving for the impending Festival. You could be lucky and find a space but it's a bit of a lottery. But once you're through, the Claydon and Fenny Compton areas should provide plentiful pastoral moorings, and mostly ones where you can get in to the bank side.

Persevere.

Encouraging thanks. Mr Boilerman - I mentioned above the we've done the Macc T&M Coventry and GU and the Oxford seems very pretty but so were those. Except for the GU in London down to Limehouse which was horrible.

Whoooahh...

Hold it right there. Something does not stack up. It is the Western K&A that is supposed to be miles and miles of permanent moorings, and the worst in the country. We have been told by those who know, that you can not ever, ever, moor between Bath and Bradford on Avon. They never mentioned this problem on the Oxford. Shallow maybe..

Larry, compared with the canals which you cite, the South Oxford is probably the most remote: you'll find sections a few miles in length where not a single road crosses the cut. So unless you intend eating out, stock up with groceries while in Banbury - Tesco's is a quite easy walk if you moor a couple of bridges North of the town centre, Morrison's is a rather longer walk if you moor in the centre itself. The Castle Quay shopping centre does NOT now have a supermarket - be warned!

Most of the moorings at Thrupp are long term with only a few available near the pub.

It thins out quite quickly after that. Don't moor near the scrap foundry below Banbury unless you want an early morning call.

Find the old Reindere pub in Banbury though - its a real gem.

The Folly almost at the bottom of Napton is not to be missed either.

You took a wrong turn!

Should have stayed on the Thames until Kings Lock then gone onto the Oxford via Dukes Cut, that way you bypass the bottom bit and come in just below Thrupp.

It does get better ;)

Hope you went to Lechlade as that is the good bit of the Thames

Edited by Loddon

Whoooahh...

Hold it right there. Something does not stack up. It is the Western K&A that is supposed to be miles and miles of permanent moorings, and the worst in the country. We have been told by those who know, that you can not ever, ever, moor between Bath and Bradford on Avon. They never mentioned this problem on the Oxford. Shallow maybe..

Oh goody 'cos that's where we're going next!! - we're planning to turn round at some indeterminate time and go down the K&A where my daughter keeps her boat on the Avon.

You took a wrong turn!

Should have stayed on the Thames until Kings Lock then gone onto the Oxford via Dukes Cut, that way you bypass the bottom bit and come in just below Thrupp.

It does get better wink.png

Hope you went to Lechlade as that is the good bit of the Thames

Funnily enough we got off at Isis and found quite a lot of room there - Ok it's by the railway yards but very convenient for the town and I cycled up it and there is actually a lot of room - not pretty but OK for one night.. It only really got bad once we were past the Dukes cut exit and around Thrupp.

I thought about going on up the Thames but my temp licence ran out and I was fed up paying when I could be on a canal for 'free'.

Morrison's is a rather longer walk if you moor in the centre itself. !

But almost canal side if you moor at bridge 168, even if you decide to move on after shopping.

I've happily moored there overnight, but in the middle of winter, south of the bridge rather than on the relatively new piling north of it.

I should turn round the local militia at Banbury shoot grumpy gits!boat.gifbiggrin.png

• Greenie 2

One word of warning: do not bank on mooring at Cropredy any time soon, as the village and its immediate environs are filling up with boats arriving for the impending Festival. You could be lucky and find a space but it's a bit of a lottery. But once you're through, the Claydon and Fenny Compton areas should provide plentiful pastoral moorings, and mostly ones where you can get in to the bank side.

Hopefully not too busy just yet - we are leaving the Wey on Saturday heading up to Croppers for the Festi - hoping that when we get there, probably the following Monday, we will be able to find somewhere to get ashore.

Edited by lockedout

Hopefully not too busy just yet - we are leaving the Wey on Saturday heading up to Croppers for the Festi - hoping that when we get there, probably the following Monday, we will be able to find somewhere to get ashore.

Well, we got the last but one space on the 14-dayers below the town bridge, and were told that all the other boats moored on that section were there for the festival too. You may strike lucky and get one of the moorings just below the lock - we did last year and the year before.

Thanks for the Morrison's mooring tip, Andy. Your boat looks remarkably cold for the time of year.

Well, we got the last but one space on the 14-dayers below the town bridge, and were told that all the other boats moored on that section were there for the festival too. You may strike lucky and get one of the moorings just below the lock - we did last year and the year before.

Thanks for the Morrison's mooring tip, Andy. Your boat looks remarkably cold for the time of year.

You were lucky -

We pass through (badly timed) often during the festival and there are invariably zilch moorings for miles around...

It's not so much the distance to walk, but at either end of the queue the bank is impossible to use, narrow so awkward to place a pin and when you do they don't hold firm.

Avoid

(you won't of course)

I have actually seen moorings become vacant near the village centre right up to festival time. People arrive in the area, see the line of boats a mile outside the village, assume that there will be no room nearer to the village, and join the end of the line. But it ain't necessarily so.

Edited by Athy

I have actually seen moorings become vacant near the village centre right up to festival time. People arrive in the area, see the line of boats a mile outside the village, assume that there will be no room nearer to the village, and join the end of the line. But it ain't necessarily so.

Must have been very lucky. We usually go through Cropredy during the festival and there's usually nothing between Varneys and Slat Mill locks. They're also frequently breasted up in Cropredy. Having said that everyone's always very friendly and It's great to hear the music - we heard Leige and Lief live from half way up Claydon a few years ago!

Just come down the South Oxford from the ACS meeting on the GU. No Prob's. Our boat is now on a 14 day @ Thrupp plenty of room. Also 48 hr mooring in the centre of Oxford totally empty last Sat & last Tuesday.