Featured Posts

1. Get off boat non-towpath side

2. Put bridge up

3. Get on boat

4. Drive it though

5. Get off boat (non-towpath side)

6. Lower bridge

7. Get back on boat

Essentially, yes, you 'jump' (I don't jump onto my boat though) on and off. The only differences between singlehanded and 2 (or more) is that you need to use the non-towpath side and steps 3 and 5.

That makes sense but there are quite a few bridges on the L/L where you can't get off on the non-towpath side or if you can it is either hazardous or involves a bit of trespassing.

I thought you were doing some sort of daredevil leaping on and off the bridge... (maybe that's another way???)

I'm sure one of the lockies at Gargrave who is also a single hander said there's about half a dozen ways to do these bridges but I can't think of more than two or three.

That's all very well but it's a powered bridge and could you do that with a widebeam? (I genuinely don't know)

I think it would be possible, but quite difficult with a widebeam. Trying to stop 32 + tonnes on a rope once it's moving isn't easy (not if you're only 5'6" and 11st anyway).

I'm not sure it makes much difference if the bridge is powered or not.

I've only been through one manual swing bridge where if you operate it you're on the wrong side and that was on the K&A. I stopped my boat, walked over the bridge, swung it open and (very kindly) waved on the 3 hire boats which had been behind me. Once they'd gone through and thanked me I realised I was on the wrong side, but fortunately a boater with an adjacent mooring operated the bridge for me.

Edited by blackrose

No worries...I got LongSufferingWife to help. (but some very interesting comments on this thread).

Bridge 192 on the L&L is a KILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wheetabix!!!!!

Perhaps one of the drivers might like to get out and lend a hand......

I've actually never seen that happen... I wonder if it ever does?

Most would rather sit there twitching inside their cars in a state of self-righteous frustration.

The only swing-bridges that I really don't like are those on busy roads. If they're in the middle of nowhere I can just take my time.

Edited by blackrose

That makes sense but there are quite a few bridges on the L/L where you can't get off on the non-towpath side or if you can it is either hazardous or involves a bit of trespassing.

I thought you were doing some sort of daredevil leaping on and off the bridge... (maybe that's another way???)

I'm sure one of the lockies at Gargrave who is also a single hander said there's about half a dozen ways to do these bridges but I can't think of more than two or three.

1. Get off boat non-towpath side

2. Put bridge up

3. Get on boat

4. Drive it though

5. Get off boat (non-towpath side)

6. Lower bridge

7. Get back on boat

Essentially, yes, you 'jump' (I don't jump onto my boat though) on and off. The only differences between singlehanded and 2 (or more) is that you need to use the non-towpath side and steps 3 and 5.

If you can't get off on the offside, get close to the bridge and tie the bow to the bridge. If the bridge swings away from the boat it actually pulls the boat part through. Untie the rope then step off the bridge onto the boat. This has never proved difficult. Drive through. Step off the boat onto the bridge and tie a stern line to the bridge. Close the bridge and the boat is pulled back to the bridge. Untie, step on and away. When the bridge is swinging towards the boat, leave a bit more room and there is a little more pulling of the boat towards you.

In reality there is usually somewhere to stop the boat on the offside and a combination of the above and stepping ashore on the off is most efficient. The structure the bridge is built on often has room to land on and still swing the bridge, especially on closing the bridge.

There's no problem with this on the southern Oxford any more.

No need for Banbury Sticks as all the lift bridges have been re-balanced now so they stay UP. You unlock them, open them, go through, then shut them behind you, all from the towpath side.

It all seems unnecessarily easy now!

MtB

Thanks Mike.

I'm all in favour of unnecessary easiness!

Ken

Brighten up your day with a points system for stopped traffic. 10 pints for car 25 for a sports car, 35 for an ordinary van, 50 for a white van, double points if they do a handbrake turn while swearing and zooming off the other way! My other half hates it, everyone looking at and blaming her!

What about German prestige?

Some of the frustration by drivers can be justified. We often see boaters lift the big hydraulic bridges on New Junction canal much higher than they need to ~ sometimes all the way up.

Just lift them as high as you need folks please and save yourself and drivers a bit of time.

All true but a few years ago at Barnby Dun we lifted the bridge but try as we might it would not go down! It turns out that in the night it was vandalized and all the electrics bar the up contactor were smashed to bits BW came and let us go (they had to give us a B key as ours was stuck). Rumour had it that it was a villager who did it but I do know it was not fixed for a week or so. Even now I still cringe when I go through it and on the day it broke I am sure the car owners would have hung us from the bridge!!

Peter

Singlehanded? No problem! Wait for another boat to arrive and immediately propose marriage to any eligible crew member that takes your fancy!

Problem solved !

Please note this may solve your dilemma I cannot be held responsible for any potential consequences of this advice.

All true but a few years ago at Barnby Dun we lifted the bridge but try as we might it would not go down! It turns out that in the night it was vandalized and all the electrics bar the up contactor were smashed to bits BW came and let us go (they had to give us a B key as ours was stuck). Rumour had it that it was a villager who did it but I do know it was not fixed for a week or so. Even now I still cringe when I go through it and on the day it broke I am sure the car owners would have hung us from the bridge!!

Peter

Barnby is one you have to be very very quick with - that road is the sole route in an out of the village at that end and it has a two way approach on one side meaning traffic builds up extremely quickly. I cringe when I see boaters lift it all the way up when there is no need.

I think some boaters don't realise those bridges will just stop when you take your finger off the button and you can just lower it down after you have stopped it.

If it was a villager who vandalised it I hope they got stuck in the ensuing carnage......

Brighten up your day with a points system for stopped traffic. 10 pints for car 25 for a sports car, 35 for an ordinary van, 50 for a white van, double points if they do a handbrake turn while swearing and zooming off the other way! My other half hates it, everyone looking at and blaming her!

My wife managed to stop a police car (twos and blues job) at Tyle Mill swing bridge on the K & A. How many points for that??

If you're going down the route of bow hauling through one of the simple push-open jobs, remember to take a rope to tie the bridge open. Otherwise when you start to haul the boat through you simply haul the bridge closed, which is embarrassing.

I did shipley to dobson landing on the non towpath side early on in my career. Brambles. Cowpats. Scratchy trees. Shallow water. Strong winds.

Landing on the operational side of the bridge (micklethwaite) in the video is nae possible

Landing on the operational side of the bridge (micklethwaite) in the video is nae possible

Thanks for confirming - I suspected that was the case, but wasn't 100% sure.