Tiller / Rudder Bolt Brass Embellisher

Ray T

Featured Posts

Whilst looking through Narrowboat magazines and other publications I noticed that very few working motors, when they were working boats, had any form of decoration on the retaining bolt.

The only one I found was Mimmas which had a very simple brass one it looked just like an upturned cylindrical pill box.

Is this a fairly recent addition to ex working boats?

Whilst looking through Narrowboat magazines and other publications I noticed that very few working motors, when they were working boats, had any form of decoration on the retaining bolt.

The only one I found was Mimmas which had a very simple brass one it looked just like an upturned cylindrical pill box.

Is this a fairly recent addition to ex working boats?

I don't think such things were ever the norm, but there have probably always been one or two boatmen who like a bit of flash.

Likewise brass bands on chimneys were far from universal and brass tiller bars probably the exception rather than the rule.

Tim

I very much agree with Tim's comments, looking through the vast number of pictures held in my archive I have found only one so far and that is on Mimas, again brass tiller bars are virtually absent most being painted steel tube, even tiller pins are very basic. Strange how "traditions" appear from almost no where!

So do people think that boats at rallies today are presented in a completely over the top manner?

Darren

Depends what you mean, I guess, but yes, many of them are, I suspect presented to a standard that many working boaters would have struggled to achieve on a regular basis, even had they wanted to.

I guess from archive pictures, probably someone like the Whitlocks came as close as most to presenting most of the time immaculate boats whilst actually carrying in them, but even then pictures will show that if there had not been a recent repaint, there was some inevitable wear and tea), (particularly on the wooden boats, where the paint seldom stayed pristine for that long, as joints moved, and the cracks set in).

I guess boats like Mimas and Ray, or Carro & Warwick attending those very first IWA rallies in the early 1950s were pretty smart, but still, I doubt presented with quite as much "bling" as some of the current Josher brigade now go for.

Does it matter? I guess not - I can marvel at the way that say the recently restored "Holland" was presented by its doting owner. He in turn will continue to rib me about the poorly turned out state of "Sickle", (which he used to steer in its working life)! Actually even we are completely OTT, given we are showing an ex BW maintenance boat, although I would hate to show her off in the totally shabby condition she spent a large part of her BW life.

I actually like the boats that are not quite so shiny, and a bit more "workaday", but I can still marvel at the immaculately presented ones!

So do people think that boats at rallies today are presented in a completely over the top manner?

Darren

Pretty much, when compared with most working boats. Inevitable really, they are mostly people's toys/pride and joy, in the past they were working boats, also often people's homes so there would have been quite a wide variation both between companies and between boatmen/families.

You seem the same thing with preserved traction engines etc, yes some especially showmen's engines were highly painted in working days but were still working engines and therefore suffered normal wear & tear.

Tim

The same can be said of many vehicles. Constant usage took its toll on appearances, and it was a credit to some garages on London Transport that their buses were turned out shining - just as Derby Corporation buses were (in the green and cream days) - fleets of night time cleaners saw to that. Amongst the Vintage Motorcycle movement great prestige is sought for the perfect and immaculate restoration. Yet just recently a certain machine was shown muck, oil, warts and all and criticised by one as being 'Grey Porridge' - not worthy of display in the journal let alone on the road. But in contrast machines in original condition - faded paint, scratches and dents, are the ones most sought after. Even in the antique world, polished brass is frowned upon when monetary value is considered.

Having said that, I'm sure every owner rider/driver/boater feels that much better for displaying spic'n span, gives you a nice feeling - even if it is a bit Narcissistic!

This picture sums up "everyday bling" on a working pair. Yes it is a brass tiller, with a bedknob as a pin. We have chimney chains of self manufacture, the cans are tied on, pointing slightly forward, theres a side step (fixed) but little else.

gallery_5000_522_20730.jpg

Darren

Owners do all sorts of odd things with their boats nowadays. I have recently heard a few owners of unconverted large ('Town Class') G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats talk of ballasting the fore ends down to reduce the height. What is that all about - why not buy a boat with a low fore end in the first place ? It is only my opinion but empty working boats should be just that, empty but perhaps with a couple of drums of water in the back end of the hold that can be moved to alter the draft (water and air) as required. When I owned BADSEY I would simply take down the cratch if I was going somewhere with restrictive height, and as most owners do not build their cratches properly nowadays this should not be too much effort. High wind is not much of an excuse either as this never stopped the working boaters and it never stopped the camping boats in the 1970's and 1980's who were both empty and fully clothed.

Edited by pete harrison

Owners do all sorts of odd things with their boats nowadays. I have recently heard a few owners of unconverted large ('Town Class') G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats talk of ballasting the fore ends down to reduce the height. What is that all about - why not buy a boat with a low fore end in the first place ? It is only my opinion but empty working boats should be just that, empty but perhaps with a couple of drums of water in the back end of the hold that can be moved to alter the draft (water and air) as required. When I owned BADSEY I would simply take down the cratch if I was going somewhere with restrictive height, and as most owners do not build their cratches properly nowadays this should not be too much effort. High wind is not much of an excuse either as this never stopped the working boaters and it never stopped the camping boats in the 1970's and 1980's who were both empty and fully clothed.

I suppose you could argue that the canals are a different environment to the 70s in terms of practicalities. If it's windy, you can just wind it on and keep control- but nowadays, with many moored boats around, that's not always an option, especially if you're carefully trying not to tarnish excessively others' attitudes about working boats.

That said, I personally would much rather have the foreend right out of the water, so it looks right. I wish I could get mine up a bit more, but it's not really an option because of the airdraft of the cabin.

Victorian fireside companion sets had a steel poker with a brass handle .With constant use the poker burned away but rather than throw it away the pin was sawn down to 4 inches and made a tiller pin, sometimes with quite ornate decoration.

We're running without the deckboard at present having been up the Erewash. I certainly wouldn't want to ballast the front down.

I guess we do (most of us) like to put on a good show for shows - there is an element of competition of course (often formalised with an actual prize) and of pride. Not who's got the most bling, but who's decently turned out.

If you lived day in and day out on a boat, wouldn't you be pleased to find something to brighten it up, maybe even to make you stand out from the crowd a bit? Especially perhaps the younger men, in later days.

We're running without the deckboard at present having been up the Erewash. I certainly wouldn't want to ballast the front down.

I guess we do (most of us) like to put on a good show for shows - there is an element of competition of course (often formalised with an actual prize) and of pride. Not who's got the most bling, but who's decently turned out.

If you lived day in and day out on a boat, wouldn't you be pleased to find something to brighten it up, maybe even to make you stand out from the crowd a bit? Especially perhaps the younger men, in later days.

This picture sums up "everyday bling" on a working pair. Yes it is a brass tiller, with a bedknob as a pin. We have chimney chains of self manufacture, the cans are tied on, pointing slightly forward, theres a side step (fixed) but little else.

gallery_5000_522_20730.jpg

Surely a little more bling on show than that.

The motor has bed knobs inside the doors, two extra beehive finishers on the towel rail and ash on the cants (if that counts as bling).

The second boat has extra knobs at the corners of the ticket drawer.

George ex nb Alton retired

• 2 months later...

That would probably be Mr Stokes. Their pair was about as spic n'span as any boat could be, immaculate at all times from what can be gathered. There was probably quite a bit of competition amongst a certain few, while the rest made good with what they had from pure pride in appearance. Only a few I believe didn't bother much, and that's not to say they may not have been good boatmen or women, just had a priorities elsewhere.