Not all river Gypsies look like Johnny Depp.

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

This is an interesting article..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenerliving/3526321/Canal-boat-living-Rise-of-the-eco-river-gipsy.html

It encapsulates the reason for my choice to move onto the water, the psychological connection to a boat is far more than the connection to a mere house could ever be, being out in the World reliant upon ones own wit and a Mothership takes a lot of beating in my view as fulfilling way to live. Thanks to atheist inside for the new working link here.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

"

Sorry We cannot find the page you are looking for.
  • The page may have been moved, updated or deleted.
  • There might be a problem with the website.
  • You may have typed the web address incorrectly. Please check the address and spelling."

15,000 liveabords? (I actually thought it was more than that) Lets hope that C&RT do a good job then of keeping the navigations open because finding land based housing for all those people will be a nightmare for whatever government is in power at the time.

Pete

I don't see why people think that wishing to live a little freer from some of the pressures of a life mostly just dedicated to piling up stuff should be so out of the ordinary really.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

15,000 liveabords? (I actually thought it was more than that) Lets hope that C&RT do a good job then of keeping the navigations open because finding land based housing for all those people will be a nightmare for whatever government is in power at the time.

Pete

Where does that fantasy figure come from?

I would be very surprised if that wasn't 3 to 4 times the number living on the inland waterways.

I always love how these numbers are bandied around

GIVE ME DATA AND SOURCES PEOPLE.....

All I can find is that in 2007 there were <30,000 boats in BW water

<A href="http://www.aina.org.uk/docs/Boat_numbers_0909.pdf"</a>

I know this has gone up a couple of percent each year and so now there maybe 35k boats, so Ireally doubt almost 50% are liveaboards. There's 5000 cc's and my gut feeling is that <20% of boats with moorings (the majority being in a marina) are liveaboards (but feel free to correct), which makes another 6000 at the absolute most, making 11,000 boats.

So the question is does the article mean boats or people?

If boats it is way off the mark, evening allowing for 5 years of growth, if people it might be accurate at 15-20k.

So Chris Pink I think your number of 45-60k is way off the mark.

It would be great to have some real numbers so if anyone has any data please post below.

Where does that fantasy figure come from?

I would be very surprised if that wasn't 3 to 4 times the number living on the inland waterways.

And takling of fantasies, while some liveaboards may be environmentally conscious, as we've discussed before, that doesn't necessarily make this lifestyle any more environmentally sustainable than living on land.

Edited by blackrose

Try this:

Clicky

Another forumite finds fame.

Upon first reading the OP I was intrigued with the mention of help from someone called 'Atheist Inside'.

And then the penny dropped, it's Carlt. Lol

15,000 liveabords? (I actually thought it was more than that)

Pete

There are!

That figure was taken just on the Kennet & Avon.

Edited by Doorman

GIVE ME DATA AND SOURCES PEOPLE.....

So Chris Pink I think your number of 45-60k is way off the mark.

you misundertand. I think 15,000 is way too high. And without an authoritative source I'd dispute your 11,000 too.

There's 5000 cc's

This is not a figure I recognise - source please?

And it would be a mistake that to assume that all boats without home moorings are liveaboards

Edited by Chris Pink

And it would be a mistake that to assume that all boats without home moorings are liveaboards

What does CCing have to do with the price of eggs? We are discussing how many people live aboard, not how many CCers are liveaboard. Nothing like muddying the waters! Lots of peeps live aboard in marinas and on on-line moorings too.

My guestimate would be that about one in five boats on the cut is a home, and an average of about 1.7 peeps live on each. So out of 30k boats, I reckon about 10,000 people live on the cut. And probably another few thousand live on rivers and coastal boats, so the figure in the article of 15,000 is probably about right.

MtB

What does CCing have to do with the price of eggs? We are discussing how many people live aboard, not how many CCers are liveaboard. Nothing like muddying the waters! Lots of peeps live aboard in marinas and on on-line moorings too.

I live aboard on an online mooring on non-CRT waters.

Going slightly off-topic, when I came onto this river and paid for my licence a couple of months ago, the lockkeeper asked me if I was living on my boat. Now in normal circumstances after years of ducking and diving I might have denied living aboard, but the moorings operator had already told me to be straight with them and there would be no problem. So I paid an extra fee and they have issued me with a residential licence.

I'd be very surprised if this licence actually gives me official residential status because I don't think my mooring has residential planning permission. They just wanted to know that the mooring had all the facilities necessary for liveaboards. I thought it was worthwhile paying the extra as it feels like one step closer to moving out of the grey area of unofficial liveaboard. Does anyone know where I stand?

Edited by blackrose

Well if you tried using some of the intelligence you occasionally display you would notice that I was responding to an estimate which started by counting all of a (fictitious) number of so-called cc'rs. My point is you can't count all of those as liveaboards. I know others liveaboard too that have moorings - I am not as stupid as you appear in this instance to be.

Edited by Chris Pink

Well if you tried using some of the intelligence you occasionally display you would notice that I was responding to an estimate which started by counting all of a (fictitious) number of so-called cc'rs. My point is you can't count all of those as liveaboards. I know others liveaboard too that have moorings - I am not as stupid as you appear in this instance to be.

Why not tell Mike what you really think of him Chris? laugh.png

Tact is not exactly your forte is it.

Edited by blackrose

My occasional flashes of intelligence are an illusion, a trick of the light. How do you do yours?

:D

<tB