Tugs

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Beeston is a strange beast. I had a look over it for a friend last year (it's been on the market since the dawn of time IIRC). Beautiful boat but no sleeping accommodation, and the only cooking facility is the Epping.

It's only a pretty hardcore boater will buy this IMO. I suggest any bloke trying to convince his GF to get a tug needs to take her to see this one first, to set the parameters. All other tugs will seem luxurious and well appointed in comparison!

MtB

they're not tugs, they're tug style cruising boats.

Indeed. This:

3574375386_2958ef4101_m.jpg

is a proper tug. It even has an old engine (Kelvin RS6, if anyone's bothered).

Regards,

Lockie.

They don't need to be that big to be a "proper" tug.

Most of these genuinely are as well.......

Blog link - Tug Weekend at Black Country Living Museum

Spent a night on Kennet once, agreed, it's a lovely boat* smile.png

*deliberately called it a boat to save schoolboy comments about night time tugging wink.png

Edited to add:

A tug which I try to get my hands on whenever possible...

7127700507_d76eb4978e.jpg
Edited by IanM

Truly is. :-)

If I get a chance later I'll post a picture of our friend's old tug Frederick Wittingham II. Roger Fuller who built this classic boat described it as 90% animal 10% mineral. Powered by a Gardiner 6LX monster with a four blade prop and the boat could pull a tooth out of a dinosaur's gob!

If I get a chance later I'll post a picture of our friend's old tug Frederick Wittingham II. Roger Fuller who built this classic boat described it as 90% animal 10% mineral. Powered by a Gardiner 6LX monster with a four blade prop and the boat could pull a tooth out of a dinosaur's gob!

At first I misread that as saying that it's an old tug, now realise you probably meant old as in ex? Where is it now? It passed through here maybe 3 years ago after being bought by someone up Burscough way, IIRC was that your friends?

I did have a serious look at the original Frederick Whittingham some years ago with a view to purchase, but decided it needed too much work for the money. Pleased in the end that my silly offer wasn't accepted.

Tim

At first I misread that as saying that it's an old tug, now realise you probably meant old as in ex? Where is it now? It passed through here maybe 3 years ago after being bought by someone up Burscough way, IIRC was that your friends?

I did have a serious look at the original Frederick Whittingham some years ago with a view to purchase, but decided it needed too much work for the money. Pleased in the end that my silly offer wasn't accepted.

Tim

Hi

The original Frederick Whittingham was (and probably still is) owned by Jim MacDonald and moored at Cassiobury. Jim let me make a film of the boat and him starting the 6L2 by hand in 2006/7. Not sure if it was used as a tug, I think he said it spent most of it's life as a pilot boat on the Thames. I think he acquired from someone on the Kingston/Richmond section of the Thames.

L

Hi

The original Frederick Whittingham was (and probably still is) owned by Jim MacDonald and moored at Cassiobury. Jim let me make a film of the boat and him starting the 6L2 by hand in 2006/7. Not sure if it was used as a tug, I think he said it spent most of it's life as a pilot boat on the Thames. I think he acquired from someone on the Kingston/Richmond section of the Thames.

L

Jim sold it a year or so ago. I think it was designed as a tug, but then modified before completion for use as a PLA health launch, I believe.

It had at some time previously been owned by Colin Paillin, who had the F.W. II built.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Jim sold it a year or so ago. I think it was designed as a tug, but then modified before completion for use as a PLA health launch, I believe.

It had at some time previously been owned by Colin Paillin, who had the F.W. II built.

Tim

I am not pretending to know anything about FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM but I do have the late Clive Guthrie's unpublished reference book which compiles the individual histories of each boat built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., Northwich.

Mr Guthrie's research indicates that FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM, along with two other tugs, was built over several years (keel laid May 1921 - completed 13 November 1934). These tugs appear to have been built speculatively in order to maintain employment for some of their work force.

Colin Paillin owned FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM from 1988 until 1990. Mr Guthrie's complete list of owners ends at 2006 when three completed manuscripts were circulated for proof reading (I received mine on 10 September 2006). Clive Guthrie passed away on 18 February 2007 and I believe his research may now be lost..

I am not pretending to know anything about FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM but I do have the late Clive Guthrie's unpublished reference book which compiles the individual histories of each boat built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd., Northwich.

Mr Guthrie's research indicates that FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM, along with two other tugs, was built over several years (keel laid May 1921 - completed 13 November 1934). These tugs appear to have been built speculatively in order to maintain employment for some of their work force.

Colin Paillin owned FREDERICK WHITTINGHAM from 1988 until 1990. Mr Guthrie's complete list of owners ends at 2006 when three completed manuscripts were circulated for proof reading (I received mine on 10 September 2006). Clive Guthrie passed away on 18 February 2007 and I believe his research may now be lost..

That's an awful long time for a boat to be on the stocks.

I wonder what motive power they had in mind at the time the keel was laid?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I have always loved 'tugs' but always ended up with 'trads' and now i have a 'cruiser-stern', but once i retire ( or win the lottery lol) then i will trade in what ever boat i have , for a 'tug' so that i can keep my dream bike on it .. a bsa goldstar 500 smile.png

A very rare thing!

I have always loved 'tugs' but always ended up with 'trads' and now i have a 'cruiser-stern', but once i retire ( or win the lottery lol) then i will trade in what ever boat i have , for a 'tug' so that i can keep my dream bike on it ..hopefully by then the prices will be affordable smile.png

A rare hope!

Ahem....female here who specifically wanted, & got, an all ports tug style with a 'proper' engine!

And if you like real ale too rarer than a sensible politician!

I'd love to buy a tug! I like the look of them, I can sit and fish off the front deck and store my motorbike there. But not everyone fishes and/ or owns a motorbike.

But when I look at advertised tugs, they seem expensive, compared to 'normal' narrowboats of similar age/ length/ condition. A tug seems to be a narrowboat with less metal, less fitting out.

So, why are tugs more expensive? Is it because they are relatively rare and perhaps there are lots of irrational people like me around?

Any thoughts anyone?

The previous owners of our motor kept their Harley on the tugdeck

gallery_2927_1_19915.jpg

I'm hoping that my rather long, wide and heavy 1939 B.S.A. model G14 1000cc v-twin will fit, or I'll have to sell it and take the 1953 B.S.A model B33 500cc instead

gallery_2927_1_6064.jpg

Fingers crossed cheers.gif