Missing oil filter on Lister-Petter TS2?

samfiction

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm new here so hello and a bit of background: I'm Sam, been narrowboating for around a year now. I have a boat built in the late 80s, which is slightly scruffy and I'm doing it up bit by bit.

So, I'm planning to replace the engine oil in my late 80s Lister TS2. I'm a little confused; the engine doesn't appear to have a replacable oil filter, instead there's a permanent-looking stumpy cylinder (not unlike a very short oil filter).

Is this some kind of non-replaceable filter? In which case presumably it needs cleaning, can anyone point me towards some information on doing that?

Or is it possible the engine just isn't fitted with an oil filter, in which case is it a good idea to fit one myself?

While I'm posting, I've read elsewhere that any automotive engine oil for diesels is suitable for a Lister this age, say a 10w30 or 10w40. Is that right? Does it matter whether it's synthetic/semi?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by samfiction

Hi, I'm new here so hello and a bit of background: I'm Sam, been narrowboating for around a year now. I have a boat built in the late 80s, which is slightly scruffy and I'm doing it up bit by bit.

So, I'm planning to replace the engine oil in my late 80s Lister TS2. I'm a little confused; the engine doesn't appear to have a replacable oil filter, instead there's a permanent-looking stumpy cylinder (not unlike a very short oil filter).

Is this some kind of non-replaceable filter? In which case presumably it needs cleaning, can anyone point me towards some information on doing that?

Or is it possible the engine just isn't fitted with an oil filter, in which case is it a good idea to fit one myself?

While I'm posting, I've read elsewhere that any automotive engine oil for diesels is suitable for a Lister this age, say a 10w30 or 10w40. Is that right? Does it matter whether it's synthetic/semi?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

There would normally be a spin on oil filter sticking out on the starboard side crankcase on these marine engines. Lister filter no. 201-55370.

Edited by bizzard

I would use SAE 30 or SAE 20W50 in API CC oil. I think lister now sell SAE15W40 in API CC so thatw would be OK as well. I suspect that you could use 15W40 in API CF or CF4 but do not even think about synthetic oil and I would avoid semi-synthetic as well.

I hope our Lister experts will be along to give firmer advice.

Hi Sam

Bizzzard is correct with that filter number

The T range fitted a spin on replaceable element filter and recommend a 150 hour running time oil change interval

There is also a replaceable air filter element 366-06227s and a fuel filter element 351-29760

Oil wise lister now recommend an Api CC grade 10w/40

A very easy to service engine

If you would like parts (we can post ) give me a ring remind me you are from cwdf for a discount

Chris

Thanks for the replies, that's useful information. I've had another look and there really doesn't seem to be an oil filter fitted anywhere. Here's a photo of where I believe it would be fitted, you can see the plate I mentioned before behind a coil in the fuel supply pipe:

Lister TS2 engine port side fore 1

You can just see the long remote dipstick pipe to its right, and the oil filler cap in the top-left of the image. There are some more photos in my (publicly accessible?) gallery.

I found a part number on the plate (201-82521), which according to http://www.pmenergi.dk/files/files/Old%20original%20Lister%20Petter%20parts.pdf is an "adaptor plate". Not sure what's being adapted to what. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?

Thanks. Btw, Chris I might well take you up on that!

Ok, thanks Roadsteam. So the filter mentioned above should fit right on? I'm guessing a filter is better than no filter, unless the engine has been adjusted in some other way to cope with the lack of filtration. Can't see any space constraints, so it's a bit of mystery why one wasn't fitted in the first place...

Yes a filter will replace a plate, in fact i did it on an ST2(same fitting) in a work boat and on another work boat i fitted the plate to replace the filter as on that one the engine bed was just foul of the filter body. The engine vibrations were enough for the can to tap the engine bed and work harden/crack the can resulting in a bilge full of black oil.

I have come across a couple of ST2s in boats, they don't seem to have filters as supplied new. I remember some 30 years ago enquiring to lister for a filter kit for St2, it was priced at over £50 then, the owner thought that was too much and did without. That engine is still performing well without a filter. Somewhat related, we have a ex-colliery fire pump powered by an SR1, running at 2500rpm (top limit for an SR). It doesn't have an oil filter, nor even a dip-stick! I'm not sure why that is, there's a steel bung where the dip-stick would go. Checking the oil level is messy, undo the crankcase door and if oil pours out, there was enough in it. Doesn't half shift water when you need it though, eg sinking boat or a fire.

There are several variations on where the dipstick goes on an SR, I suspect yours now has parts from more than one engine, so the dipstick location has got lost

Richard

There are several variations on where the dipstick goes on an SR, I suspect yours now has parts from more than one engine, so the dipstick location has got lost

Richard

No,the engine is entirely original as fitted to a "Godwin" pump, the whole was painted with a grey hammer finish paint( not a Lister colour) and probably very little used. I do know for a fact that it hasn't been used at all for the last twenty years, until March. Perhaps the lack of dipstick has something to do with its intended emergency application in a colliery? Able to run part submerged without taking in water? An NCB requirement for any diesel working underground? I don't know. The blocked off dipstick hole looks very official and original.

Bill

My TS2 does appear to have been happily chugging away for 20-odd years without a filter! Still, I think I'll fit one. The cost looks to be a fraction of what it was for that ST2, and it's the only engine I've got so I'd like to look after it :).

Cheers all, that's really helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

My first boat had an old Lister Lr 2 fitted. It had no oil filter and was still going strong when I sold it after 5 years ccing. It was a very old engine even before I bought the boat. The engine ran on a " Total loss " system !! so as I topped it up about three times a week I dont suppose the filter was ever needed.

Tim