Naughty-Cals Big Adventure 2014

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

I know it is really very early to start looking forward to 2014 but we have just found out that next year we will be having an enforced summer holiday due to the garage where Liam works having a new roof, shutting the place for at least two weeks. Helpfully they have agreed to do this during July of next year. With this in mind we can start to plan for Naughty-Cal’s next big adventure.

We are doing the Norfolk Broads again next month for a couple of weeks so really want to do something different for next year. As we seem to have a bit of a habit of turning right and heading down the coast we have decided that for next year we will be heading north into waters we have yet to explore.

This trip will obviously be very much weather and sea state dependant but the plan so far is along the lines of:

· Grimsby

· Whitby

· Newcastle

· Amble

· Eyemouth

· Amble

· Hartlepool

· Scarborough

· Hull

Now we are not stupid and we know that the chances of getting two weeks of perfect boating weather during British summer time is fairly slim so we will be flexible with how far we manage to cruise and how long we stay at each harbour or port. We are also well aware that should the weather turn we may well be leaving Naughty-Cal somewhere and getting the train home before weekending her back to her own berth in Lincoln over a number of weeks.

We have tried to keep the distances between ports fairly sensible with the longest legs being the ones closest to home, Burton Waters to Grimsby at around 100 miles and Grimsby to Whitby and Scarborough to Hull both at around 75 miles, all well within our safe cruising range. The remaining legs vary in distance between 30 and 55 miles.

So I guess what we are looking for is any local knowledge of the areas, anything we should be looking out for and the best places to moor, eat and drink along the way. We have plenty of time to plan this trip so we want to make the most of the time we have got and really make this a trip to remember.

If we do manage to pull this one off it will be a round trip in excess of 600 miles and will (just) cross the border into Scotland which won’t be bad for a little boat!

Just a drop or two of diesel yes!!

We reckon on about 600-700 litres depending on sea conditions so (obviously depending on prices) somewhere between about £750 and £875 on fuel plus between £15 and £20 per night berthing fees so another £240 to £320 on top of that. Not that bad really for a fortnights cruise.

Obviously food and drink are on top of that as well.

Friends of ours did a similar cruise in the same boat as NC last year. They did Amble and back to Goole in a week so we are hoping that by taking two weeks over the trip it should be a little more relaxing and we can spend a little more time in some of the places we stay plus we can get that bit further and over the Scottish border.

You could get a few weeks on a Narrow Boat for that sort of money.

Only joking of course! Sounds exciting.

Martyn.

I doubt it. Three weeks on a narrowboat in July for £1200!!

We are getting to the point where we are more excited about next years holiday than next months holiday!!

• 3 months later...

We have started properly planning this trip now that the evenings are drawing in and some of the places we intend to visit along the way look truly remarkable. Already we are looking forward to hopefully visiting some fantastic ports and harbours.

As with everything mind we have to also look at a plan B which after our excellent trip to Kings Lynn has been decided as the river Great Ouse to Ely and possibly beyond. This trip would obviously involve much less sea work so will be better suited if the weather doesnt look favourable to head to Scotland.

Sounds great and I am very jealous.

I'm not sure I could sail past Staithes or Seaham without stopping though.

Then again, once North of Whitby there are so many little harbours on my list of must visits that we're seriously planning to put a boat in one of them permanently to explore the area more closely.

Edited by carlt

We have started properly planning this trip now that the evenings are drawing in and some of the places we intend to visit along the way look truly remarkable. Already we are looking forward to hopefully visiting some fantastic ports and harbours.

As with everything mind we have to also look at a plan B which after our excellent trip to Kings Lynn has been decided as the river Great Ouse to Ely and possibly beyond. This trip would obviously involve much less sea work so will be better suited if the weather doesnt look favourable to head to Scotland.

Don't forget to give us a toot as you pass Saltburn.......

Grimsby is, erm, Grim. But it is a safe stopping point in most weathers and the only all tide-state marina available in the Humber.

You need a vhf and contact humber port as soon as you get within range at the mouth of the humber. I guess you know this.

Hull is worth visiting, IMO. There is a large chandlers near the yacht marina.

What is your hull speed? The tides run up to 6.5 knots in parts of the Humber. The entrance to Grimsby runs past a pyloned wharf; if you come in at the wrong time then the tide will be sweeping you towards that. Not nice.

Grimsby lock is operated by the keeper, it is huge, fast and not small-boat friendly. Last time I came through the locky didn't wait to see if we were ready - our rudder was caught on the lock gate. I threw a rope round a bollard and ran back to free the rudder - the locky opened the paddles and started filling the lock. Luckily the rope snapped but the free end put a hell of a bruise on my ankle.

Grimsby is, erm, Grim. But it is a safe stopping point in most weathers and the only all tide-state marina available in the Humber.

You need a vhf and contact humber port as soon as you get within range at the mouth of the humber. I guess you know this.

Hull is worth visiting, IMO. There is a large chandlers near the yacht marina.

What is your hull speed? The tides run up to 6.5 knots in parts of the Humber. The entrance to Grimsby runs past a pyloned wharf; if you come in at the wrong time then the tide will be sweeping you towards that. Not nice.

Grimsby lock is operated by the keeper, it is huge, fast and not small-boat friendly. Last time I came through the locky didn't wait to see if we were ready - our rudder was caught on the lock gate. I threw a rope round a bollard and ran back to free the rudder - the locky opened the paddles and started filling the lock. Luckily the rope snapped but the free end put a hell of a bruise on my ankle.

We know Grimsby is grim we have visited several times by boat before. The club house is well worth a visit though and it is about 40 minutes closer to the sea for us than Hull hence why we drop down to Grimsby if heading out that way. We make sure we arrive at Grimsby for free flow (2 hours either side of HW) Not only is it free for those hours but it is much easier than faffing around in a lock designed for much bigger boats. Plus during those hours we have plenty of water.

We wouldnt even attempt this trip without VHF we dont have a death wish!!

Hull speed is 30 knots with a steady cruise of 25 knots.

The last time we went down the Humber in July it was like a mill pond yet we have been down there when it has been really very lumpy as well. I must admit it isnt my favourite stretch of estuary but we really need to do it if we are to explore North along the east coast. Its a bloody long way around from Boston if notlaugh.png

Ah, sorry from your first post I didn't think you'd been into the humber before.

The weather to watch out for is wind against tide. Doesn't take much of a wind to kick up some serious chop. I've been on a 38ft ocean-sailing ketch-rigged cutter that was taking water over the bow.

Have you gone south from Boston? A night-time passage is notable for one thing; Cromer bloody light. Takes forever to leave it behind. First time I went on that coast I was bringing my barge up from London. Cruising at 6 knots, Cromer light was visible for more than 12 hours.

Ah, sorry from your first post I didn't think you'd been into the humber before.

The weather to watch out for is wind against tide. Doesn't take much of a wind to kick up some serious chop. I've been on a 38ft ocean-sailing ketch-rigged cutter that was taking water over the bow.

Have you gone south from Boston? A night-time passage is notable for one thing; Cromer bloody light. Takes forever to leave it behind. First time I went on that coast I was bringing my barge up from London. Cruising at 6 knots, Cromer light was visible for more than 12 hours.

Yeah we have done plenty of trips south on the Norfolk and Suffolk coast just never headed north (well there was one failed trip to Whitby when we ended up in Wells as the sea conditions were too bad heading north)

We were on the Broads earlier this year as well as Southwold and of course Wells next the Sea, we seem to spend a lot of time in Wells. Oh and we added Kings Lynn to the list as well last month. That was a nice run.

ETA: We dont tend to have a need to do night passages being a bit quicker than 6 knots!! Seem to ahve done plenty of early mornings mind. 3.30am from Grimsby wasnt nicewacko.png

Edited by Naughty Cal

A few years back, my mate got a anual mooring for his 27 foot petrol cruser in Hartlipool 800 pounds

fantastic new marina at the time, but no where to go?

I think he metioned seal island? also got a fine for going up a port emtrance ? for not asking pemision

NC enjoy reading your posts and have a great trip for next year

col

A few years back, my mate got a anual mooring for his 27 foot petrol cruser in Hartlipool 800 pounds

fantastic new marina at the time, but no where to go?

I think he metioned seal island? also got a fine for going up a port emtrance ? for not asking pemision

NC enjoy reading your posts and have a great trip for next year

col

He obviously was not very adventurous if he thought there was nowhere to go from Hartlepool!!

You need a vhf and contact humber port VTS Humber as soon as you get within range at the mouth of the humber. I guess you know this.

Hull is worth visiting, IMO. There is a large chandlers (Kildale Marine) near the yacht marina. Lock Available 3 hours each side of HW

Howard

I think we have decided that if the weather plays ball we may head further North again and visit Dunbar.

At this rate we wont be coming home!!

Just carry on to Grangemouth and up the Carron: shame to miss out on two and a half Forth bridges, two Kelpies and one Falkirk Wheel cheers.gifcheers.gif

Iain

Just carry on to Grangemouth and up the Carron: shame to miss out on two and a half Forth bridges, two Kelpies and one Falkirk Wheel cheers.gifcheers.gif

Iain

Unfortunately we do have to go back to work at the end of the two weeks laugh.png

Although we are still keeping the option open of weekending her around a bit, spending the two weeks getting as far North as possible and then bringing her back bit by bit each weekend after that.

• 2 weeks later...