Oxford to Chester on a 72

Greymarauder

Featured Posts

Has anybody any experience of moving a full size vessel from the South to the North (or vice verse)?

I am currently planning a trip from Oxford to Chester on a 72 foot narrow boat and after spending far too long studying the internet there seems to be a lot of vague information. The sites I have checked which claim to have information on the narrowest lock dimensions are also not in agreement with each other.

So after all of the research, does anybody have any real experience of this and could they suggest a viable route?

Thanks, James

Voyaging - not cruising.

Thanks Graham, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have traveled all of the Scottish canals but have minimal experience in England. Not for much longer though I hope...

I was thinking of the Oxford, the Coventry, the Trent and Mersea, and then the Shroppie canals as a route if that makes sense?

James

Edited by Greymarauder

Has anybody any experience of moving a full size vessel from the South to the North (or vice verse)?

I am currently planning a trip from Oxford to Chester on a 72 foot narrow boat and after spending far too long studying the internet there seems to be a lot of vague information. The sites I have checked which claim to have information on the narrowest lock dimensions are also not in agreement with each other.

So after all of the research, does anybody have any real experience of this and could they suggest a viable route?

Thanks, James

Voyaging - not cruising.

Having owned and operated a big Woolwich, with a length of 71ft 6inches and knowing how snug the odd lock can be on nominal "full length" canals, what boat will you be using that is actually 72ft long?

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks, James

Voyaging - not cruising.

You may find lock No 9 at Napton a bit snug if Hazel has spread a bit.

Jigsaw is 70 ft and has about 20 inches of stern fender and about 10 inches of bow fender. We did a cruise from Macclesfield to Braunston two years ago with no problems. We've been round the four counties a couple of times and down as far as Christleton near Chester. You will not have any problems length wise. Enjoy the trip, it's a corker!

Big thank you to everybody who responded, peace of mind is everything isn't it. The journey has begun (being split between a colleague and I) and I will make a note of any issues, should anybody else ever run this route in something similar.

James

I have travelled the route you suggest numerous times on full length working boats, both motors and buttys. Although some locks may be tight regarding length this should not be restrictive, unlike lock widths which do seem to becoming more restrictive all the time - but I can't see you having too much trouble.

Edited by pete harrison

GeoProjects says that Hilmorton Locks, thats 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 are only 70 foot. If true this might be your pinch point.

Which is precisely why I used the term "Nominal full length" and quoted a big woolwich as 71ft6in long. GU boats easily fit through Hillmorton and other nominally 70ft locks. I did have trouble in the bottom lock at Smethwick but "just" got through (downhill).

My new boat BADGER, is 71ft long and I find the lack of those 6inches (no rude jokes please) to be quite comforting in certain locations.

I also asked if the boat in question is actually 72ft long. This figure is often used as the maximum length but, if so, why did the GU not squeeze an extra 6inches of cargo space when building their fleet?

Are there any boats out there that are actually 72ft long and, if so, what difficulties do they have when moving around the system?

GeoProjects says that Hilmorton Locks, thats 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 are only 70 foot. If true this might be your pinch point.

Last year we went from Marsworth to Nantwich back to Foxton via GU Coventry, T&M and S&W we are full length and deep, no issues with fitting in the locks but did touch the bottom a few times ! I would not worry about boat length. I agree with George but prefer the 6" .......

Edited by Tuscan

Which is precisely why I used the term "Nominal full length" and quoted a big woolwich as 71ft6in long. GU boats easily fit through Hillmorton and other nominally 70ft locks. I did have trouble in the bottom lock at Smethwick but "just" got through (downhill).

My new boat BADGER, is 71ft long and I find the lack of those 6inches (no rude jokes please) to be quite comforting in certain locations.

I also asked if the boat in question is actually 72ft long. This figure is often used as the maximum length but, if so, why did the GU not squeeze an extra 6inches of cargo space when building their fleet?

Are there any boats out there that are actually 72ft long and, if so, what difficulties do they have when moving around the system?

Yes, Willow and the other 'tree class' are the full 72' long. It's been most places, although there is a couple of BCN locks that are tight.

The last wide lock before Loughborough can't be shared unless Willow goes in first, or the gate won't close.

The near vertical stem post doesn't help much either!

Yes, Willow and the other 'tree class' are the full 72' long. It's been most places, although there is a couple of BCN locks that are tight.

The last wide lock before Loughborough can't be shared unless Willow goes in first, or the gate won't close.

The near vertical stem post doesn't help much either!

Having experienced difficulties at other locations, which sadly I have not recorded and have now forgotten, with a boat 6inches shorter, the list for these boats must be even longer.

GU boats easily fit through Hillmorton and other nominally 70ft locks. I did have trouble in the bottom lock at Smethwick but "just" got through (downhill).

The one we have found tight is the lock at Curdworth which was rebuilt when the M42 was built and is a good bit shorter than the rest. To get Fulbourne (71 ft 6ins) through we have to lift bow and stern fenders, put the rudder at 90 degrees and it just fits.

• Greenie 1

The one we have found tight is the lock at Curdworth which was rebuilt when the M42 was built and is a good bit shorter than the rest. To get Fulbourne (71 ft 6ins) through we have to lift bow and stern fenders, put the rudder at 90 degrees and it just fits.

I suspect we won't get through that one then...

Thank you to Maffi, Stagedamager, Furnesvale, Graham,Tuscan, Jigsawged, Pete, Fadetoscarlet, David, and BlackIbis for your help, I will keep you posted of how things go. This is a very good first impression of this forum so I'll stick around and stay on it.

As for right now - I am happy to say that my mind is not on lock sizes any longer. The rudder coming off at the same time as the stern gland opening up and the bilge pump failing have successfully focused my mind elsewhere...

James

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - I can now verify what has been suggested here; Length is not the problem. The width however is another matter. Hazel will no longer get through lock 12 at Napton, and certainly has no chance of lock 9 either. Only just got her back through Southam but am going to attempt the route via London. If anybody has any ideas on that route, let me know!

Best wishes to all,

James