Locker Lids

Still working

Featured Posts

Hello I'm looking for some information. I need to replace the ply lids on my well deck lockers. I can find lots of places selling marine ply but can't find an exact replacement for my existing lids which is ply with a darker brown, textured nonslip finish. Can anyone please tell me what this product is and, ideally, where I can buy it?

The good stuff for locker lids, cruiser stern decks etc is Hexagrip. It's black or dark brown and has small hexagonal patterns on one side (hence the name). That side is intended to be the side to have uppermost, as it is grippy and more wear resistant. It's not cheap, but there's not much else worth using.

I can't give up to date info on where to buy it, try Googling the name. Otherwise, someone who knows will be along shortly I'm sure.

Generically it's phenolic faced ply. However, the core ply varies a lot, some of it has big voids in the ply when you cut it. If you want smallish pieces I would try for offcuts from a boatyard, who hopefully will use Hexagrip.

Richard

I recently replaced my deck boards and locker covers etc, the only supplier i could find locally was a company called "Arnold Laver Timber World" i paid about £60 for a 8x4 sheet, Or try entering "Resin coated ply" into a search engine,

Mike.

Not a bad price especially if included delivery.

I've had some stuff from local timber merchants, possibly of Chinese origin, which looks the part but starts to fall apart after about 12 months outside despite strenuous efforts to seal the edges.

Tim

I have some locker lids and a front cratch made from hexagrip on my boat that will be 24 years old next month. They may not be cheap but they are good.

The secret is to seal the cut edges, paint diluted with white spirit so that it soaks in well works very well, especially if you give them 2 or 3 coats.

Make sure you do get the proper expensive hexagon stuff. There is cheaper version about, looks similar but the pattern is small squares, it will only last a year!

............Dave

The "cheaper stuff" is what I have at present. However, given my rudimentary carpentry skills I am loth to use an £80 sheet! I have found a local company, Foxhill Trailers, who sold me an off cut for £20 of the original material type. The saw comes out this weekend! Thanks to all for your help.

Mine must have been the cheap sh*t fitted by the shell builder,they have started to disintegrate after only 12 months.Hexagrip is the one to go for but still needs the edges protected.I have been toying with the idea of using Iroko and non slip tape.If I do use this I will post some piccies.

Edited by bowten

Just replaced our engine covers with Hexagrip bought from Potters in Nantwich. Paid £64.00 for 8x4 sheet excluding VAT. Cutting charge £6. Don't buy the cheap stuff - it delaminates rapidly! I tried sealing the raw edges on the last covers with West system epoxy resin but that didn't seem to make a great deal of difference to their life.