Got the Horn (s)

matty40s

Featured Posts

Nowt much wrong with Old Friends, but perhaps lacking in the horn area so to speak, boasting one of those "vintage air horns " from hong kong....since the old one died a squarking death.

However, Kathy braved the attic and found the old mans ex BR loco trumpets. Slightly worse for wear and bashed a bit, but allegedly in working order.

So, Project Horn - what do we need to get these two beauties up and alerting boats on another canal .....or planet that I am coming....

8951443681_d1d6d96745_b.jpg

I would guess 12v mini compressor, tank, hi pressure hoses, switch/button, mount, ear muffs...

You will need one of these plus a solenoid air valve between compressor and horn.

Don't underestimate the size of reservoir (air tank) needed either.

Check out this thread.

FWIW this is the sound of a modified 42" post horn running at just 20 psi, whilst I was experimenting with same

http://www.archive.org/download/AirHorn/AirHorn.mp3

It certainly rattled the windows a tad ohmy.png

Edited by by'eck

Nowt much wrong with Old Friends, but perhaps lacking in the horn area so to speak, boasting one of those "vintage air horns " from hong kong....since the old one died a squarking death.

However, Kathy braved the attic and found the old mans ex BR loco trumpets. Slightly worse for wear and bashed a bit, but allegedly in working order.

So, Project Horn - what do we need to get these two beauties up and alerting boats on another canal .....or planet that I am coming....

I would guess 12v mini compressor, tank, hi pressure hoses, switch/button, mount, ear muffs...

At least 50PSI, preferably 100, an air receiver from a lorry, 1/4 inch solenoid valves, nylon and/or copper tubing. The tyre inflator type mini compressor would be worn out after a couple of fills of the receiver. Our compressor is a very old single cylinder unit belt driven by an equally ancient Lucas wheelchair motor, it's worked for nigh on twenty years without problem. A proper pressure switch and safety valve should be fitted. We get about 10 short blasts from one compressor cycle, 100psi drops to 75 when the motor comes in, with one horn. Unfortunately, we do have 2 horns but they are the same pitch so not much point in running the pair. They are from class76 "Woodhead" electrics scrapped in the 1970's.

Bill

As you only need 100 PSI then don't muck around, just get the plastic out and get one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIAIR-1-5Gal-Air-Source-Kit-120-PSI-Fast-Fill-20003-with-Special-VIAIR-Gift-/230960868037?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35c6572ac5 may be cheaper direct from the states.

We have discovered that having full pressure on one of these horns blows the steerer into the middle of next week even when its 70ft away and facing forwards, so we now have a two button system. Press one button and apply about 40psi and the horn sounds, press both and after 10secs it goes up to full pressure for attracting the attention of lock keeper on the Trent, ie very loud mode, it also give enough time to other crew members to get their fingers into their ears - they need to.

On the other hand we actually use an old portable paint spray compressor with a C5 12v electric motor, which takes 30amps start current, even with a dump unload system on the compressor. The problem with this is that it takes a lot of mucking around to get an airtight system. Our horn is off a scrapped class 58, unfortunately we only have the one, so we can't play On Ilkley Moor :(

press both and after 10secs it goes up to full pressure for attracting the attention of lock keeper on the Trent

Oh that is going to win you so many friends amongst us Lockies I assure you dry.png.

At the risk of going off topic I will say about the brilliance of the VHF radio, but if you cruise the Trent I assume you already have one (I hope).

Regards,

Lockie.

Press one button and apply about 40psi and the horn sounds, press both and after 10secs it goes up to full pressure for attracting the attention of lock keeper on the Trent, ie very loud mode, it also give enough time to other crew members to get their fingers into their ears - they need to.

Doesn't that cause misunderstanding of sound signals as to your intended course? Moving to Port/ Starboard/Out of control etc? Probably the latter as the helmsman concentrates on button pressing instead of steering. A simpler way of warning is to shout "horn" seconds before pressing the button, time for anyone who needs to know to cover their ears, though I suppose even that could be misunderstoodlaugh.png

At the risk of going off topic I will say about the brilliance of the VHF radio, but if you cruise the Trent I assume you already have one (I hope).

Regards,

Lockie.

The last time we were down that way, the Lockies at Cromwell didn't receive our CQD from the spark transmitter in the Marconi Room. We were saved by the fag packet charts quickly dispensed from the lock control room, thank you.

I ran a Hadley air horn using an old fire extinguisher I xharged up to 120psi with a 12v tyre compressor. it was loud (ouch) but only gave 2 seconds per charge :rolleyes: my ears remember it and it was about 7 years ago..

I routed the air with a garden hose for smooth air flow

I don't entirely understand that, though trust you meant it in an amiable way smile.png.

Anyone who knows me would describe me as amiable, so , yes. I was sort of getting at modern devices like VHF radio and its relevance to old boats and even older navigations.

I have one of these on our barge. I got a 240v compressor, new, for around £60, from Aldi I think, run it off the invertor and with a suitable solenoid and horn button from ASAP, that does the job perfectly. Trouble is, as others have inferred, I now have to issue a verbal warning before operating the thing. Shannon lock-keepers just love it.

The last time we were down that way, the Lockies at Cromwell didn't receive our CQD from the spark transmitter in the Marconi Room. We were saved by the fag packet charts quickly dispensed from the lock control room, thank you.

Lockie Junior. I think this may be an oblique reference to The Titanic. They had a Marconi transmitter in the radio room and issued CQD - Come Quick Distress, after hitting the iceberg.

CQD was the fore runner to S O S