Stolen Boat Taken From Kensal Green - Blue 34FT Springer

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

If that is all correct then I'd inform the police of what you know and why, letting them contact the relevant people involved.

You're highly unlikely to be given anyone's phone number in a public forum on the back of just 4 posts.

Not saying you are, but how are we to know you're not part of the civil dispute and want the phone number for some other reason?

Unfortunately posts like yours are now viewed with a lot of scepticism due to others not being completely honest with what the true story is.

thats a valid point.

so ive got in touch with CRT. its progressing from there.

if "lady muck" does read this please PM me as i would like to forward on a message to the true owner.

thats a valid point.

if "lady muck" does read this please PM me as i would like to forward on a message to the true owner.

pm YOUR number to 'Lady Muck' together with the message you want passed and she can do what she feels is right. You may well be trying to do the right thing, but as has been pointed out, care needs to be taken for all concerned.

thats a valid point.

I reported post #74 when I noticed she was on-line. However when I'd finished, she'd gone offline. No doubt it'll be picked up later or by another mod who may 'pass it on'

pm YOUR number to 'Lady Muck' together with the message you want passed and she can do what she feels is right. You may well be trying to do the right thing, but as has been pointed out, care needs to be taken for all concerned.

thanks you all for the advice ive PM'd and im hoping for a reply soon

I have no idea who the 'true owner' is, I was requested to put this thread up by someone I don't personally know, I have seen them on Facebook groups and they may or may not be using their real name, who knows? That is their only connection to me. Anyway, because I don't know the truth behind what has happened with this boat, I am asking that you don't involve me. Can we leave it to the police, who CRT tell me, are already investigating?

As far as CRT is concerned the true owner will be who the boat is registered to. They will know more than me.

If anything this thread is a very good example as to why we advise people to not rent their boats out privately. It's not legal to do so, so you will not be protected if it goes pearshaped and if anyone had an accident on your boat then it could be even worse. If the boat was rented in this way then I'm not sure the owner (whoever he is) would have a leg to stand on, because, legally, the owner is already in breach of their license terms for renting it. Your insurance would be invalidated for a start.

So that's two sinkings, a bad fire, an explosion and now a stolen rented boat, possibly?

Apologies for being so standoffish but we've had this before on CWDF and the owner of a 'stolen' boat turned out to be someone completely different to what was claimed.

Edited by Lady Muck
clarification

the owner of the boat rented it to me by selling me 1% of the boat. that covers all the legal side of it. he had it all drawn up in a offical marine contract.

"lady muck" ive PM'd my phone number to you can you forward it from there or if you want to discuss it further

Edited by beezel

So, if you owned 1% of the boat and the owner owned 99% it is a shared boat and as such requires different insurance and BSS. Of course the offical marine contract will cover these points, won't it?

haggis

That is a very clever way to make the renting process legal. So in fact it was a kind of boat share arrangement. We quite often get people on here asking about renting boats privately, perhaps they should consider that way of proceeding - unless somebody on here knows of potential pitfalls.

ive found the boat. and theres a massive story to be told

ive already informed the police 2 days ago but im trying to reach the owner

i really need to speak to lady muck asap.

if this isnt sorted quick the boat is going to be moved and lost completely. the guys we saw with it were very twitchy and likely to move her.

Ok, where is it then? Plenty of eyes and ears on this forum are also out on the cut. We'll keep track of it very easily with this info, should the 'twitchy guys' on it decide to move her.

Forgive my scepticism, but given the way your story seems to keep changing, or you are drip feeding new info with each post, I find myself wondering if you are one of the 'twitchy blokes', fishing for info and weighing up how quick you might to need to move on.

MtB

That is a very clever way to make the renting process legal. So in fact it was a kind of boat share arrangement. We quite often get people on here asking about renting boats privately, perhaps they should consider that way of proceeding - unless somebody on here knows of potential pitfalls.

as long as the parties have a solicitor made legal contract that both/all parties agree to then theres no problem.

at a later date its also a good way to buy a boat if the majority owner wishes. you can buy more shares till you have full ownership and again get a legally binding contract.

Quite a few people do the share boat thing already, but it doesn't stop boat rentals from going pear shaped, as you can see from the above.

I would never, ever advise anyone to rent their boat out, just hear of so many nightmares in the London area.

Edited by Lady Muck

The potential pitfall is presumably if the OP only nominally owns 1% of the boat, but is still paying the owner "rent" of the remaining 99% rent for its use, even if some attempt is made to disguise that "rent paying"?

If there was a proper and legal way of getting around the issues surrounding renting your boat out, that circumvented all the normal licence, BSS and insurance issues, I'm sure it would be far more in the public domain by now!

We sound here to be in the kind of territory put forward by the infamous John Driver/Eddie Rayner, don't we!

Ok, where is it then? Plenty of eyes and ears on this forum are also out on the cut. We'll keep track of it very easily with this info, should the 'twitchy guys' on it decide to move her.

Forgive my scepticism, but given the way your story seems to keep changing, or you are drip feeding new info with each post, I find myself wondering if you are one of the 'twitchy blokes', fishing for info and weighing up how quick you might to need to move on.

MtB

im sorry i cant say where it is. but the police have informed me they have it under surveillance and CRT are putting me in touch with the real owner

Off the top of my head , I can see two pitfalls. If the boat is not insured as a shared boat and the minority shareholder has an accident which involves an insurance claim, they might find that there is no insurance cover and it might end up a bit costlly for the minority owner. Also, if the boat had not got a BSS certificate as a shared boat, that probably negates the insurance and licence as well.

Sounds a wee bit risky to me

later. The fact that both parties have lawyers and agree to the contract does not mean that other bodies who are involved also agree. I can't see CRT, BSS and an insurance company saying "OK, you two have agreed a contract so we will just change our rules to suit you".

haggis

Edited by haggis

Off the top of my head , I can see two pitfalls. If the boat is not insured as a shared boat and the minority shareholder has an accident which involves an insurance claim, they might find that there is no insurance cover and it might end up a bit costlly for the minority owner. Also, if the boat had not got a BSS certificate as a shared boat, that probaly negates the insurance and licence as well.

Sounds a wee bit risky to me

haggis

Well, quite. We haven't had any deaths, just a couple of near misses. I really, really hope I never have to post about a death, but some of the accidents on death traps that have been rented out, (no collar on the chimney / DIY gas fitting), I think we've been very lucky so far.

Unless it's an old boat I can't see how renting it out is economical anyway. What with repairs, licence, deprecation and hassle you still have to deal with as an owner there's hardly any money left over to make it worth while.

again this all comes under the fine print of the contract.

the deal i had was any work to be done i paid for it then got a receipt which i forwarded onto the landlord/majority owner and he would minus this from my next rent payment

If you are paying rent to the "majority owner/landlord", then it is, I believe, still a rental boat, and you have not legally circumvented the fact that it is not being treated as one for licensing, BSS or insurance purposes.

I suspect a court would find your fine print not worth the paper it is written on!

Edited by alan_fincher

If you are paying rent to the "majority owner/landlord", then it is, I believe, still a rental boat, and you have not legally circumvented the fact that it is not being treated as one for licensing, BSS or insurance purposes.

I suspect a court would find your fine print not worth the paper it is written on!

no because it is classed as having joint ownership

no because it is classed as having joint ownership

You may have some kind of techical joint ownership - I'm not disputing that. You are still renting the 99% you don't own, and the owner of the lion's share is making money from such an agreement.

I think you have been poorly advised, but we could go around in circles on this all day, as you are convinced the arrangement was above board, so I'm dipping out!

Quite a few people do the share boat thing already, but it doesn't stop boat rentals from going pear shaped, as you can see from the above.

I would never, ever advise anyone to rent their boat out, just hear of so many nightmares in the London area.

Perhaps the clue is in the 'L' word - just saying like.

Also, if the boat had not got a BSS certificate as a shared boat, that probably negates the insurance and licence as well.

Is the BSS different for a shared boat?

You may have some kind of techical joint ownership - I'm not disputing that. You are still renting the 99% you don't own, and the owner of the lion's share is making money from such an agreement.

I think you have been poorly advised, but we could go around in circles on this all day, as you are convinced the arrangement was above board, so I'm dipping out!

dont get me wrong. i personally think there are way to many problems with this arrangement but it really comes down to how much you trust the majority share owner if such a problem was to arise.

from my experience everything worked out okay and i enjoyed my time on the cut. but by what this topic is really about the true owner of this boat was taken for a ride by the tenant after me and as i have such fond memory's of my wife and on on this boat. i wont to see justice done and the criminals caught.