The new CWF web technology

Athy

Featured Posts

I'm now getting accustomed to the revamped CWF web site style. But since the upgrade I find that when I click on to a topic, instead of directing me to the last post which I read, as it did hitherto, it now sends me to the very first post of the thread - which means that, if there are several pages, it takes a little longer to find the place to which I got the last time I read the thread.

I realise that this is not life-threatening, it's only a minor inconvenience, but have other members had the same problem, or is it just me?

Edited by Athy

the little dot or star to the left of the title will take you to last post read

And if you have read them all such that the dot/star does not appear, then click on the time stamp under the last posters name.

Up until two days ago I'd always be able to navigate back to the contents page by clicking on 'view new contents', wether signed in or out. This will now not work when I'm signed in. If I've just read a few pages of a thread, it's easier to click 'view new contents' to go straight back to the contents page. So, I have to sign out to do it, sign in to respond, sign out to navigate back to the contents page. ??

Not sure what's going on. I've used the the same practice throughout the time I've been a member, now it doesn't work.

Just tried to navigate back and can't get back to the contents page - will have to sign out to do it.

Edited by Higgs

Up until two days ago I'd always be able to navigate back to the contents page by clicking on 'view new contents', wether signed in or out. This will now not work when I'm signed in. If I've just read a few pages of a thread, it's easier to click 'view new contents' to go straight back to the contents page. So, I have to sign out to do it, sign in to respond, sign out to navigate back to the contents page. ??

Not sure what's going on. I've used the the same practice throughout the time I've been a member, now it doesn't work.

Just tried to navigate back and can't get back to the contents page - will have to sign out to do it.

Try slowish double click on View new content. I personally only use the left click key to drag things about on a laptop but always just tap the touch-pad with a finger, one for single click or tap twice for double, quicker than using the key and it doesn't wear it out.

Oh, I don't mind the new layout, though it came as a bit of a shock at first. It's just the way it works which I am questioning.

Acting on advice received from above (earlier in the thread, I mean, not the Almighty) I clicked on the wee star beside the topic title. It does indeed take me to the correct page, though not to the last post.

It does indeed take me to the correct page, though not to the last post.

For me it takes me to just after the last post I read. So if say 3 new posts have come in I can read them in order. I assumed it did the same for everybody.

With my iPad (Mini) I don't seem to have, or an ability to enable, the rich text options that I can see when using a PC (Apple). Is it me just being dumb or is it just not possible with the current version of the software?

With my iPad (Mini) I don't seem to have, or an ability to enable, the rich text options that I can see when using a PC (Apple). Is it me just being dumb or is it just not possible with the current version of the software?

No it's the same on my Android Nexus 7 -

I believe it's a function (amongst some others) that is only available in certain browsers and it seems Safari on the iPad and Google's browser for Android do not support it.

For me it takes me to just after the last post I read. So if say 3 new posts have come in I can read them in order. I assumed it did the same for everybody.

Nope, it ain't necessarily so.

Looking at the list of threads, I notice that for no apparent reason some have a star by their side, others a blob. Is there any deep significance in this?

Looking at the list of threads, I notice that for no apparent reason some have a star by their side, others a blob. Is there any deep significance in this?

The star means that you have posted in that particular thread.

Hi higgs did u look at a narrow boat elan in sawley marina recently if so would be interested in what you think I'm trying to sell her soon

I should have made it clear that I meant when I click on the star/spot that is where it takes me.

For me, if I've posted in a thread, even 6 months ago and I've forgotten about it, I see a star.

For threads I have not contributed to, I see a dot.

It occurs to me this thread, and others like it, might be more useful if contributors always said what style of device we are using when we experience a particular 'feature', or not experience it IYSWIM. This will mean that readers can relate, or not, to that experience.

So, I always access the Forum on a laptop running Windows XP.

I never have to log out and log in again, when I visit I'm known, and I always browse by 'View New Content' or refreshing the page, then I dip into the thread by clicking the dot / star on the left, which takes me to the last post I HAVE READ, not the last in the thread, agreeing with what Jerra wrote.

If I recognise the thread as one that I evaluated as pretty boring some time ago, and I've ignored it for a while, but see someone I respect is the last poster and I want to see their take in particular, then I click the time stamp under their name, as John 6767 wrote, and go straight to their post, the de-facto 'last in the thread'.

HTH

Edited by Davidss

Cor! Wotta mine of info, thanks Martin. But how did you know?

because every thread has a star by it on martins device....icecream.gif

try an app called puffin martin, a very speedy browser for android, allows flash player viewing too, which is great for viewing stormchaser live feeds when I cannot access laptop.

You get two weeks free trial then a whopping £1.94 cost for a very good app.

For me, if I've posted in a thread, even 6 months ago and I've forgotten about it, I see a star.

For threads I have not contributed to, I see a dot.

It occurs to me this thread, and others like it, might be more useful if contributors always said what style of device we are using when we experience a particular 'feature', or not experience it IYSWIM. This will mean that readers can relate, or not, to that experience.

So, I always access the Forum on a laptop running Windows XP.

I never have to log out and log in again, when I visit I'm known, and I always browse by 'View New Content' or refreshing the page, then I dip into the thread by clicking the dot / star on the left, which takes me to the last post I HAVE READ, not the last in the thread, agreeing with what Jerra wrote.

If I recognise the thread as one that I evaluated as pretty boring some time ago, and I've ignored it for a while, but see someone I respect is the last poster and I want to see their take in particular, then I click the time stamp under their name, as John 6767 wrote, and go straight to their post, the de-facto 'last in the thread'.

HTH

I use the forum in the same way and with the same technology as yourself.

I have two recurring problems.

Both date back to my days of using usenet. It was the practice to delete all of a post other than the part you were referring to (certainly in the groups I used). Now when I am doing this sometimes but by no means always two problems occur.

1. As I am deleting part of the post suddenly everything in the quote disappears. Before anyone suggests I am highlighting the wrong parts this isn't the case. An example might be I have deleted a couple of lines by using back space then move to another part of the post and press either back space or del and everything goes.

2. Sometimes after deleting part of a post it forces me to top post rather than underneath. This is annoying as it isn't logical to write about something before readers are able to have read what you are referring to.

Any solutions anybody.

Cor! Wotta mine of info, thanks Martin. But how did you know?

One hundred and one things about the new forum software

Some of it found by trial and error and some others have spotted.

because every thread has a star by it on martins device....icecream.gif

try an app called puffin martin, a very speedy browser for android, allows flash player viewing too, which is great for viewing stormchaser live feeds when I cannot access laptop.

You get two weeks free trial then a whopping £1.94 cost for a very good app.

tongue.png

I'll have a look at that app... thanks.

ed now that is quite neat.

allows me to do smileys on my Nexus too....cheers.gif

realy like the trackpad/mouse too.

clever.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi higgs did u look at a narrow boat elan in sawley marina recently if so would be interested in what you think I'm trying to sell her soon

Have to say, I haven't been to Sawley in quite a while. But, if you've any links, info or pictures, I'll certainly give it a ganders. There's a lot on here could offer an opinion.

Try slowish double click on View new content. I personally only use the left click key to drag things about on a laptop but always just tap the touch-pad with a finger, one for single click or tap twice for double, quicker than using the key and it doesn't wear it out.

Have tried double clicking and waving my finger at it, it's still not behaving.

The point about the problem is, I can no longer nip in and out of threads through the contents page without signing in, signing out, signing, etc. It's a pain in the derrier. Especially if you want to post in one and then check the other threads. It's all kind of lost the spontaneity. May be the mods have an idea why the sudden change.

Edited by Higgs

That's a known problem with the forum software IP.board

It will allegedly be fixed sometime ...

just tried the puffin browser app recommended by matty40s.

this works! i get the rich text options.

good one matty.

it does however behave differently re automatic capitals in a new sentence, spelling corrections etc.

might need soe work!

The spell checker does seem to be missing, but your spelling is checked as you type in Android anyway and suggestions (correctly spelt) are presented at the top of the keyboard and you just need to select one to complete your word.

There are a couple of dictionaries in the 'add ons' but I haven't figured out how they work.

Edited by The Dog House