Whats the river/canal like for boating between Bath and Bristol?

QueenB

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

My partner and i are thinking of taking the boat for a long trip for a few months and would like to cruise from Oxford down to Bath and Bristol then back again to vist family along the way. What are other peoples experiences? Are the facilities ok? (water, elsan, bins etc) How about the mooring situation? And are there any tidal parts we should be aware of? I ask this in preparation so we know what to expect. Thank you

Someone asked a very similar question a couple of weeks ago, there's a thread in it somewhere mainly between Bath & Bristol.

I'll try to find it.

Generally though pretty much everything is pretty good, although there are a couple of lock problems currently, one in Bath lock 11 and Seend lock which I believe was closed today.

Oh and our boat is 7 foot wide so will we have any problems fitting in any of the locks?

Thank you Julynian :) that will be really helpful. I am quite enjoying the research cant wait to gt going! Hopefully the lock closure will be sorted by July then icecream.gif

Oh and our boat is 7 foot wide so will we have any problems fitting in any of the locks?

Thank you Julynian smile.png that will be really helpful. I am quite enjoying the research cant wait to gt going! Hopefully the lock closure will be sorted by July then icecream.gif

7 foot is fine it will take all wide beams up to 13f/t I think.

Here's a couple of threads with some good info within.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56283&hl=%2Bbath+%2B%26amp%3B+%2Bbristol

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56044&hl=%2Bbath+%2B%26amp%3B+%2Bbristol

To answer some questions:

• Yes, it can be (and very regularly is) done on a narrowboat (we did it, saw dozens of others, and many have permanent moorings along it).
  • Except (I gather) in cases of heavy rainfall, it's very calm. A bit more challenging than the canal, but I doubt anyone experienced would have a problem. Our first journey ever was Bristol to Bath and we survived (and rather enjoyed it).
  • Mooring can be a bit tricky, there's a shortage of visitor moorings, but plenty of bank that I doubt anyone would tell you off for using. We had an unfortunate failure of judgement of time and ended up moored pivoting around a tree.
  • Locks are pretty wide, they take a widebeam.
  • On the final stretch to Bristol, there are hazards such as fallen branches, easy to navigate around, but pay attention.
  • After Hanham lock, the river is tidal, but I gather not terrifically violent. Nonetheless, bring an anchor with you (and prepare it). The easiest thing to do is to call the Netham lock keeper and find out what the easiest time to do the bit between Hanham and Netham is. The lockkeeper is both pleasant and helpful, the number is on the Bristol council website.
  • Enjoy, it's not some precision, terrifying, white-knuckle ride like the severn or thames!

To answer some questions:

• Yes, it can be (and very regularly is) done on a narrowboat (we did it, saw dozens of others, and many have permanent moorings along it).
  • Except (I gather) in cases of heavy rainfall, it's very calm. A bit more challenging than the canal, but I doubt anyone experienced would have a problem. Our first journey ever was Bristol to Bath and we survived (and rather enjoyed it).
  • Mooring can be a bit tricky, there's a shortage of visitor moorings, but plenty of bank that I doubt anyone would tell you off for using. We had an unfortunate failure of judgement of time and ended up moored pivoting around a tree.
  • Locks are pretty wide, they take a widebeam.
  • On the final stretch to Bristol, there are hazards such as fallen branches, easy to navigate around, but pay attention.
  • After Hanham lock, the river is tidal, but I gather not terrifically violent. Nonetheless, bring an anchor with you (and prepare it). The easiest thing to do is to call the Netham lock keeper and find out what the easiest time to do the bit between Hanham and Netham is. The lockkeeper is both pleasant and helpful, the number is on the Bristol council website.
  • Enjoy, it's not some precision, terrifying, white-knuckle ride like the severn or thames!

I don't want to worry you, but this is what happened when Fulbourne was left at Hanham some years ago, and the tide was rather higher than we had been led to believe:

fulbourne2Big.jpg

We have done the trip successfully a number of times since.

I don't want to worry you, but this is what happened when Fulbourne was left at Hanham some years ago, and the tide was rather higher than we had been led to believe:

fulbourne2Big.jpg

We have done the trip successfully a number of times since.

Wow. Where in Hanham is that? Did you not moor on the floating visitor mooring (well, obviously not)

If there as been heavy rain moor at the top of the Bath flight walk back and pop into the boat yard they were very helpful with their advice on whether to attempt to get to Bristol , told us exactly where to look on the wall to gauge the river, we waited 2 more days for the water to go down to his guide lines , well within a foot of his guide lines , as it turned out (last June) the CRT lengthsman said ' no problem you will get under Churchill bridge o.k' ( which we thought we would ) but me 'belt and braces' phoned ahead to the Hanham lock keeper who told us on no account to attempt to get to Hanham the lock was closed because the river was dangerous and would be closed for the next two days. There were still hirers determined to get to Bristol and would not listen to our advice, saw them coming back up the flight later in the day not looking very happy, but at least they had the sense to turn back, in the end. Apart from that it is a great trip , nice scenery and not too taxing Bristol harbour is very interesting and if you stay in Bath an open top bus trip is a must. Have been to Bath/ Bristol many times but only did the open top bit last year was great. Also if not able to travel the river the station is handy pop into Bristol on the train . Bunny.

Sorry meant to say telephoned Netham Lockie not Hanham . Bunny

Hows the River Avon? Is it navigable on a narrow boat?

Very much so. At the moment it's barely moving at all, there'd need to be alot of rain before it caused anyone any problems, however if there is rain talk to the locals (message me if you want an up to the minute gauge, I moor on the river in Saltford), boating down here is lovely but no fun at all when the levels are up. Two things to bear in mind about heading to Bristol are a) The section below Hanham lock is tidal, it's a geat cruise and really not scary if you've never been on a tidal section before but you do have to time it right for the tides, the best thing to do is call Netham Lock on your way down river, they like to know when they're expecting boats and will fill you in if there's anything you need to know. Also, Bristol Harbour is a fantastic place to go but it belongs to Bristol City Council not BW so you need to buy a visitors licence from them.

edit to add: I've just been outside and if the leaves and whatnot floating on the water are telling the truth the river is actually flowing backwards where I am right now, there's no wind so I guess it must be.

Edited by Doug Scullery

We went to Bristol an Bath and back the other year - in summer and we didn't find many places to moor that were free. Find somewhere by 3 pm, or you might struggle. A river so no towpath which makes things difficult. It costs a few bob to moor in Bristol as well.